Planning Aidan's baptism requires a MIL rant

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2008, 05:53 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Aidan is being baptised this Sunday. Because all of our family live about 500kms away and since they are all within a 100km radius, we decided to have it done in the little town where my MIL lives since it's centric to everybody. We're invonvenienced with the travel, but I really don't mind that since we'll be able to see the whole family this way. I made all the necessary arrangements with the church so we're good to go... sorta.

I wanted to have a luncheon afterward and my MIL offered to do it at her house (the other option was the church hall). She has a big property and the weather is looking like it will be nice enough to eat outside, so that's all well and good.

For the past 2 weeks I have been working with my MIL on the menu. We're not doing anything fancy, just sandwiches, salads, cheese, veggies, etc... Everyone is chipping in and bringing stuff so nobody is overly burdened with preparation. All my MIL really has to do is make the sandwiches and of course provide the venue. Easy, right? Evidently not. I've had atleast 5 phone calls in the last week discussing sandwiches. I mean seriously, beyond figuring out how many and what kind, what else do you need to know? Yesterday's phone call was to confirm she bought the necessary groceries and I have to listen to her complain about the price of everything including the following comment: "I just bought margarine, butter is 6 dollars a pound and I'm not paying that". Oh boy.

Then there is the issue of coffee. She doesn't have a coffee maker, she only drinks instant. My family are pretty big coffee drinkers and like to have real coffee. I was going to lug a couple of coffee makers with us but then I thought I would just order from Tim Horton's since it's just up the road. I asked her to check into whether or not I'd have to pre-order and how much it would be. I asked her about it yesterday and she starts with "Oh I asked and it's way too much, I'll come up with some glass jugs to make a lot of instant". So I ask how much and she says $13 for 10 cups. Good grief! I had to put my foot down and say don't worry about it, I'll pay for it. I had previously offerred to pay for any groceries required because I couldn't stand to hear the moaning. Obviously that didn't work because she insists on cheaping out on everything. It's really driving me crazy. I asked her to pick up pop including Coke. If I go there and it's no name, I'm gonna lose it.

Oh and further more, she took the liberty to buy diapers and told me not to bother bringing any. She never bothered to ask what kind I use or what size. I ask what she bought and she said she got size 3 (which will work) and the wal-mart brand. Well I'm using Pampers premium stuff so I'm not likely to switch over. Maybe I'm a snob but I found the diaper that works best for him and want to leave it taht way.

Sorry this was so long but honestly if I make it through this week without totally being stressed at what should be an enjoyable day for me it'll be a miracle.

May 21st, 2008, 06:08 AM
pjcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to pjcherry Send a message via MSN to pjcherry Send a message via Yahoo to pjcherry
so sorry you are going thru this
May 21st, 2008, 06:25 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
GAH! I'd be ready to kill her! I hope this weekend goes smoothly for you otherwise, and maybe once she tastes the Timmy's she'll be converted?

May 21st, 2008, 06:29 AM
GirliMumi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow that is ridiculous, and exactly what I deal with so I feel for you Sweetie!! I completely agree that if you have found items for you that work don't go changing them now! So vexing.....are you there all weekend?
May 21st, 2008, 06:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
wow! Your mil just reminded me of mine, I just deal with it

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
May 21st, 2008, 06:52 AM
~Devon~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Devon~
That's frustrating Gillian I'm sorry! It sounds like you are dealing with her well though, I'm not sure I could have held my tongue this long!!! I don't think you are being a snob at all! Especially with the diapers, who cares what the name is as long as they work, and you found ones that work!!! I hope he pees out of them when she's holding him!!
Ok not really, but it would be really funny!!!
May 21st, 2008, 06:56 AM
ShelliBelli's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im glad I dont have a mil I hope the weekend goes well for you.
May 21st, 2008, 08:29 AM
noworries
Gillian-Sorry you are having to deal with your annoying, cheap-o MIL, but I hope Aidan's baptism is awesome and you enjoy getting to spend time with all your family. I'd take some of your diapers if I were you.
When we went on vacation with my in-laws, they bought cheap Target brand diapers and they really sucked. We're going to visit them this weekend and my MIL said she still had some diapers and my husband told her we would be bringing our Huggies and that if she wanted to use the cheap ones and get peed on that was fine but we would be using the ones that work.
May 21st, 2008, 08:29 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Good luck this weekend Gillian! Hold your own and hopefully everything will be just fine!! Try to enjoy yourself despite everything!
May 21st, 2008, 09:22 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Thanks everyone! It always feels better to vent here.

Quote:
Wow that is ridiculous, and exactly what I deal with so I feel for you Sweetie!! I completely agree that if you have found items for you that work don't go changing them now! So vexing.....are you there all weekend?[/b]
Unfrotunately yes. We arrive Saturday after lunch and will be busy that evening making sandwiches and what not. Sunday is the baptism and Monday we're trying to get to our favourite cheese factory to stock up before heading back home. All of that and MIL has a list a mile long of things she wants DH to do around her house. I'm not sure when she figures he's gonna do that, but anyway.

Quote:
I'd take some of your diapers if I were you.
When we went on vacation with my in-laws, they bought cheap Target brand diapers and they really sucked. We're going to visit them this weekend and my MIL said she still had some diapers and my husband told her we would be bringing our Huggies and that if she wanted to use the cheap ones and get peed on that was fine but we would be using the ones that work.[/b]
Definitely a good plan. I'll toss a bag of our Pampers in for sure. All I need is him peeing through a cheapo one in his baptism suit.

May 21st, 2008, 09:34 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Oh wow! I'm sorry you have to deal with someone like that. Who really looks at the price per pound of butter? If you need butter, buy butter. Sorry, but that seems really strange to me. My grandmother is the same way. She'll buy canned goods at the grocery store that don't have labels because they're discounted. I hope you have a great weekend with your family despite your MIL's idiosyncracies!
May 21st, 2008, 09:42 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Quote:
Oh wow! I'm sorry you have to deal with someone like that. Who really looks at the price per pound of butter? If you need butter, buy butter. Sorry, but that seems really strange to me. My grandmother is the same way. She'll buy canned goods at the grocery store that don't have labels because they're discounted. I hope you have a great weekend with your family despite your MIL's idiosyncracies![/b]
The same type of woman who reuses aluminium foil until it has holes in it. Saves and washes the styrofoam trays that meat are packed on and uses them to serve food. That's just the tip of the iceburg. Honestly, you would think she had no money in which case I would be more understanding of what she does. The most frustrating thing is she does have money but won't spend any of it. Serious issues.

May 21st, 2008, 10:02 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Is it just the era that grew up in? Your MIL sounds just like my grandmother
May 21st, 2008, 10:56 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
*Breathe*Breathe* Big Picture, Big Picture *Breathe*

Good luck!

May 21st, 2008, 10:56 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Quote:
Is it just the era that grew up in? Your MIL sounds just like my grandmother[/b]
I suppose that's possible, she was born in the '30s. But then so were my parents and they are not at all like that, so who knows. I'll just stick with she's nuts.

May 21st, 2008, 11:06 AM
NYJenn
That stink's! Well, try not to get to stressed and enjoy the day sunday!
oh, and remember not to invole her for the baby's 1st B-day party.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search