What does an allergy rash or baby eczema look like?

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2008, 01:08 PM
.Michelle.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
About a week or 2 ago Zane got a rash on his chest and stomach. It was kind of red and looked like a heat rash. Well it would go away sometimes then come back. I also noticed the outside of his thighs have bumps on them. You can't see anything but you can feel it. I haven't changed the detergent (I am using Dreft) and nothing else is different. I do know that he is allergic to cow's milk because everytime I tried to switch him to formula he would projectile throw it up and have stomach pains but the soy he wouldn't. I am not doing the formula since I decided to breastfeed until 6 months. I am wondering if by me eating dairy is giving him the rash. It doesn't seem to be itchy or bothering him at all. It comes and goes so that is why I haven't taken him to the doctor. Does anyone know what Eczema looks like?
I think I might try and eliminate dairy from my diet for a week and see if it clears up the rash.

Here are some pictures. They aren't very clear but he wasn't happy with me. It flared up again after DH fed him. Maybe he is just getting hot? He wasn't over dressed or anything. I guess I will have to take him to the doctor if keeps happening. It normally goes away after a little while.
Thigh:

Face- (That line above his eyebrow is a scratch, not rash)

**UPDATE** I went to the Dr this morning. I had to see a different dr because the one we go to was not in the office today. Anyway, she said it looks like a contact rash. She asked me if it happens more after his bath and it actually does. I put a lot more lotion on his face and legs because they get dry. She thinks that the lotion is irritating his skin when he gets hot. This might make sense that it happened as he was eating last night because I had him in his long sleeves and long pants for bed and he was eating a warm bottle. So I guess it is probably a heat rash. She gave me some samples of something called Cetaphil. It is a skin wash and they also have a lotion. She wants me to use that only when I bathe him. You can buy it at a drugstore. It is hypoallergenic so she wants to see if that helps clear it up. She also doesn't want me to give him any solid foods (besides rice cereal) to him until after our next appt at 6 months. I had only tried those 2 times so I am fine with that.
I hope it works!! Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions!

Oh, and he is over 17lbs now!!

May 21st, 2008, 01:26 PM
NYJenn
Nick had a similar rash on his back. DF said it looked like prickly heat..it comes and goes. I put baby powder on the area and it helps. google it and check out the image section.
May 21st, 2008, 01:46 PM
Super Mommy
Alex had eczema very bad when he was a baby and for him it was red, bumpy and very, very itchy. If it doesn't bother him at all, I would guess it's not eczema or an allergy rash. But I guess you never know.. you could ask the doctor just in case.

The bumps on the thigh could be keratosis pilaris (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratosis_pilaris). I have that and Andrew does too. It doesn't usually itch and is very common and harmless.
May 21st, 2008, 02:00 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
nak

if he is allergic to cows milk then he would most likely be getting cows milk that you ingest, through your milk. but you said it doesnt seem to bother him... so therefore i wouldnt do anything differently. walter is allergic to cows milk and soy, i cant eat either and its pure hell. yesterday i tried to get away with a soy latte because i wanted one so bad and he woke up at midnight screaming til 1.
i wouldnt wish no dairy on you, just to clear up an asymptomatic rash, kwim? if the cows milk in your diet is really bugging him, he would be having more symptoms i think.

to answer your question, walters face gets a little red and splotchy when he is exposed to milk/soy. kind of looks like red dots, that arent raised at all.

hope you figure it out soon!
May 21st, 2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks everyone. It doesn't seem to bother him at all. I will try the baby powder. If it starts getting worse on his thighs then I will probably try and make an appointment for him to see the doctor. I will also do some research on that Keratosis Pilaris.

May 21st, 2008, 08:13 PM
I added some pictures to the Original Post. I am just wondering if anyone has seen something similar on their babies.

May 21st, 2008, 09:02 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I think eczema is more like dry flaky skin that cracks and bleeds. It doesn't go away super quickly like the rash Zane gets.

If it's dairy, it's going to most likely take longer than a week to get it totally out of your system. I would ask on the Bfing board if they think it's related to your dairy intake. All I've witnessed first hand with is spitting up and crying from gas.

I've been dairy free for a few months now and it's not that big a deal. There are a lot of options for substitution, you just have to get used to it a bit.
May 21st, 2008, 09:09 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Quote:
I think eczema is more like dry flaky skin that cracks and bleeds. It doesn't go away super quickly like the rash Zane gets.[/b]
That's exactly what it ends up looking like. Kaija has REALLY bad eczema on her elbows and in patches all over. We've been slathering hydrocortisone on her poor elbows for 2 weeks and they still look pretty torn up. My baby will never have that soft baby skin She's so dry! It's all we can do to keep her skin moist without causing her more eczema flair ups.

In all, I can tell you that it's not eczema. Unfortunately, I'm no help for other ideas! It sounds like you've gotten some good advice from the other ladies though!
May 21st, 2008, 09:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Thanks everyone. It doesn't seem to bother him at all. I will try the baby powder. If it starts getting worse on his thighs then I will probably try and make an appointment for him to see the doctor. I will also do some research on that Keratosis Pilaris.[/b]
Just a quick note- I'd be careful about using baby powder. When my doc noticed I had used baby powder once, she got upset and told me I should never use baby powder as they had recently found an ingredient in it that can cause cancer in women! I guess since you have a boy it isn't as big of deal, but still...
May 21st, 2008, 09:25 PM
Super Mommy
Zaria had what looks to be the same rash your son has and she too has an allergy to cow's milk. She never really seemed to be bothered by it either. Once I cut milk out of my diet (as it does pass through to the breast milk), her rash thing disappeared.

Now, I did notice that once the red rash went away, she had dry, rough skin. I went to emergency for something else one night and when the nurse noticed her skin, she said her daughter had the same problem and told me to try Baby Aveeno. It has colloidal oatmeal, which helps with dry skin. It seems to have done the trick, her skin has never looked better (I am sure it also has to do with the no dairy thing as well). It even worked when she had the red rash type stuff on her.

May 22nd, 2008, 04:33 AM
Thanks ladies! He woke up this morning with the rash still on his face. I am going to call the Dr this morning and see if I can get an appointment. The hard part is finding an appointment in the morning or late in the afternoon because of work. I am not too worried about it but I would like to know what it is. I did remember that the first time this happened I tried giving him sweet potatoes. Then yesterday my mom tried giving him applesause (with my approval). Maybe it is possible he is allergic to both. Other than that he has only had cereal as a solid food. I just didn't think sweet potatoes or apples were an allergic food. I guess I will see what the Dr says.

May 22nd, 2008, 05:33 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Good luck at the doctor today!

It doesn't sound or look like anything too serious to me. It's not bothering him so that's a good sign. By sight, to me, it looks like a heat rash and those would generally clear up quickly like you described.

Let us know how it goes... I'm hoping it's not an allergy rash.

May 22nd, 2008, 06:49 AM
GirliMumi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Poor Zane! My Godson is allergic to apples so you might be onto something there as well as the milk. However like the others said milk i usually joined buy gas pains....Back to the apples though, he gets the same rash all over - face, neck, arm & legs whenever he has anything with apples in it. The tricky thing for when they get older is that apple extract/juice is in everything! If it is apples you will have to really lable read for them...they are in almost every juice on the market!

I hope you get some answers today and I agree with the Aveeno advise. The oatmeal will do wonders, just be careful with it around his eyes.
May 22nd, 2008, 08:12 AM
~Devon~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Devon~
It's not eczema, Jacob has a small patch on his face and doesn't look anything like the pics you've posted. It might be a slight allergic reaction to something you are eating and passing to him, or it could just be the heat. I hope they are able to get you in soon to tell you what it is. I'm glad that he doesn't seem to be affected by it though!
May 22nd, 2008, 09:02 AM
Update in first post

May 22nd, 2008, 11:20 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
glad it's nothing serious. wow, big boy!!
May 22nd, 2008, 11:34 AM
NYJenn
Such a big boy

I hope it clears up!
May 22nd, 2008, 12:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jlo1019
Aww, I'm glad to hear he is okay. What a big boy!!

May 22nd, 2008, 12:33 PM
Veteran
Looks like Eczema, Mehar has exact same rash, our regualr pediatrician could not figure it out, so they sent us to pediatric dermatologist, he diagnosed it as Eczema. It does not bother them, however when they get hot or irritable, it becomes red. He prescribed a hydrocortisone cream and Cerave. Cerave is just a hydrating cream available over the counter in pharmacies, and it worked wonders for Mehar. I didn't even have to use the prescription. It disappeared in just two day. I apply it regularly on her after giving her a bath.
May 22nd, 2008, 12:42 PM
noworries
Quote:
About a week or 2 ago Zane got a rash on his chest and stomach. It was kind of red and looked like a heat rash. Well it would go away sometimes then come back. I also noticed the outside of his thighs have bumps on them. You can't see anything but you can feel it. I haven't changed the detergent (I am using Dreft) and nothing else is different. I do know that he is allergic to cow's milk because everytime I tried to switch him to formula he would projectile throw it up and have stomach pains but the soy he wouldn't. I am not doing the formula since I decided to breastfeed until 6 months. I am wondering if by me eating dairy is giving him the rash. It doesn't seem to be itchy or bothering him at all. It comes and goes so that is why I haven't taken him to the doctor. Does anyone know what Eczema looks like?
I think I might try and eliminate dairy from my diet for a week and see if it clears up the rash.

Here are some pictures. They aren't very clear but he wasn't happy with me. It flared up again after DH fed him. Maybe he is just getting hot? He wasn't over dressed or anything. I guess I will have to take him to the doctor if keeps happening. It normally goes away after a little while.
Thigh:

Face- (That line above his eyebrow is a scratch, not rash)

**UPDATE** I went to the Dr this morning. I had to see a different dr because the one we go to was not in the office today. Anyway, she said it looks like a contact rash. She asked me if it happens more after his bath and it actually does. I put a lot more lotion on his face and legs because they get dry. She thinks that the lotion is irritating his skin when he gets hot. This might make sense that it happened as he was eating last night because I had him in his long sleeves and long pants for bed and he was eating a warm bottle. So I guess it is probably a heat rash. She gave me some samples of something called Cetaphil. It is a skin wash and they also have a lotion. She wants me to use that only when I bathe him. You can buy it at a drugstore. It is hypoallergenic so she wants to see if that helps clear it up. She also doesn't want me to give him any solid foods (besides rice cereal) to him until after our next appt at 6 months. I had only tried those 2 times so I am fine with that.
I hope it works!! Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions!

Oh, and he is over 17lbs now!![/b]
Eva had a little bit of a rash on her arms and legs at her 4 month appointment and her pedi also told me to use Cetaphil for her baths and to use Cetaphil lotion after her baths. It seems to be helping so far. Hope it works for your little man.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search