Meet-up in Central Virginia!

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Nicandab's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since AprilMiracle's coming to town all the way from Norway, and there are apparently a bunch of us within a couple hours driving distance, I'd like to propose a meetup. I'm duplicating her post kind of, and I'm really not even sure why. My brain is so BROKEN today.

Open to anyone, although I imagine traveling will be much, much easier for those of us close.

I *LOVE* planning these kinds of things, and I desperately need something to keep my brain off my belly right now.

Here's what I suggest:

We pick a day and make an afternoon of it. There's a FABULOUS park in Richmond, Va, called Maymont.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maymont
http://www.maymont.org/visit/index.asp

We can do that, or the Chesterfield Zoo
http://www.virginia.org/site/descrip...p?attrID=43597

Maymont's bigger and has a place for a picnic, and is centrally located in the city. And is GORGEOUS and *free* (I really like free).

Then maybe dinner somewhere for those of us who want to stick around longer? There are LOTS of fabulous restaurants and I know Richmond inside and out (Born here, raised here, have spent almost 25 of my almost 28 years here.)

and LOTS, and LOTS of starbucks for aprilmiracle. No starbucks in Norway, apparently. :-D

Does September 6th sound good? I will be waaaay out of town on the first weekend she's here, since it is Labor Day.

***UPDATE***

So in looking up hotels, I discovered something extremely insidious happening that weekend.

NASCAR

We have a nascar race that comes to Richmond International Raceway that weekend. Traffic gets somewhat more congested, and finding a hotel more difficult, and more expensive. Stupidheads raise the prices when Nascar comes to town.

I'm sorry I didn't notice this before, but I don't follow Nascar.. I have a hard time following men who make gazillions of dollars to TURN LEFT for a living. (not mocking those who enjoy it, I just don't get it).

As for those who want hotels... Maymont is in zip code 23220. That is an ok neighborhood. Another good zipcode is slightly south of the city, in Midlothian, 23114, 23112 or 23113 for hotels.com or somesuch. There's a Super8 in 23113 I think that wasn't too expensive when I stayed there 3 yearsish ago.

So.. a vote.. Do we change the date to the next weekend the 13th? or keep the 6th?

Lemme know..

August 20th, 2008, 10:13 AM
aprilmiracle's Avatar Single Mom to Birk
Leslie, you rock!! Thank you so much for this thread and awesome suggestions! Whatever you guys wanna do is fine by me, Starbucks rocks and I have some lbs to gain so bring it on!

August 20th, 2008, 11:03 AM
IBake2Boys+1Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to IBake2Boys+1Girl Send a message via MSN to IBake2Boys+1Girl Send a message via Yahoo to IBake2Boys+1Girl Send a message via Skype™ to IBake2Boys+1Girl
I love maymont!! I really hope I can come! We're free the weekend of the 6th so let me check with the hubby and I"ll get back to you guys!!

Marie {mom to}
Ethan (7), Patrick (4), Emma (2)
Happily Married to Nathan (4.28.07)
August 20th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh I am so totally jealous. Now I wish I lived in VA! However...I do have an aunt who lives out there. And she's dying to meet Logan. Not sure how I'd swing that one, tho. The cash flow is more like a trickle these days.

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]
August 20th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Send a message via AIM to IBake2Boys+1Girl Send a message via MSN to IBake2Boys+1Girl Send a message via Yahoo to IBake2Boys+1Girl Send a message via Skype™ to IBake2Boys+1Girl
Count me in ladies!! I talked to DH and he told me to go and have fun!! Its not that often that I'll get to meet up with you ladies so he said to enjoy it!! I'm so excited!!! Now, we just have to get through the next three weeks!!!

Leslie, do you know any cheap hotels that I can find? I'd really like to stay for the whole day, including dinner, but I hate driving back late at night...any ideas?

Marie {mom to}
August 20th, 2008, 06:24 PM
lindseyp1019's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will be out of town for a stupid wedding that weekend! Let me know if it gets rescheduled, i would LOVE to meet up!

*Lindsey, proud mamma to Kyle and Cade!*
August 20th, 2008, 07:14 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
Let me discuss it with DH and maybe I can talk him into driving me! (I hope I hope I hope)...Seeing as he is going to some lunch thing with members of a forum he posts on on the 13th.

----
Talked to DH. Apparently the only reason why he's going to his forums meet-up is because we're seeing family the weekend of the 13th and the meetup is 15 minutes away.

He was wondering if anyone was willing to let Jack and I carpool with them?
I live in Lynchburg.
August 21st, 2008, 12:43 AM
Whichever date works for me. How awesome that you'll be joining Marie!! Yay! And I hope you will come too Maria. And how is you schedule Lindsay for the 13th?

Seems like the 13th is a good date for most of you ladies?

August 21st, 2008, 06:00 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to OurJoy
I may be able to make the trip down if the date remains the 6th. I'll keep checking the board for updates.
August 21st, 2008, 07:01 AM
DH and I are visiting family on the 13. But do whatever you guys wanna do. I doubt I'll be able to make it reguardless of the date.
August 21st, 2008, 07:04 AM
Well, either date is fine with me. I've surprisingly got no plans at all for those two weekends! Hallelujah! What if we set up a poll to see what date will be better and then we can go from there. I've driven through Richmond during the Nascar thing, and its not so pretty! LOL!

Marie {mom to}
August 21st, 2008, 08:45 AM
lindseyp1019's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
well since i will be out of town the 6th my vote is to reschedule!!

*Lindsey, proud mamma to Kyle and Cade!*
August 23rd, 2008, 10:45 AM
Bumping this!

August 23rd, 2008, 11:22 AM
My vote is for my hubby to drive me lol
August 23rd, 2008, 11:45 AM
Quote:
My vote is for my hubby to drive me lol[/b]
That gets my vote also! How far can he drive you before you would need to carpool?

August 23rd, 2008, 04:42 PM
Nicandab's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey.. if he can get you to farmville, I can pick you up.

August 23rd, 2008, 08:20 PM
ethansmom0408's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wish I could go but Richmond is almost 4 hours from me. Have fun ladies.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search