question and a vent

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2010, 10:05 AM
DonovinsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a true problem telling people no.

I work from 7pm - 3am 8 days out of a 2 week cycle. However, I work 6 out of 7 days one week and then 2 days the following week.

I also watch a friends little boy 5 hours a day 5 days a week. Works out great with my schedule, he comes at 1030 leaves at 330, no problem. However, I occasionally watch a girl I work withs little boy- His sitter is out for 2 months and she asked me to watch him --ugh I said YES! Why would I do that? He comes from 745-515 4 days a week. That leaves me getting less than 4 hours a sleep on the nights that I work. So I have slept 9 hours in 3 days-DH is helping me but he works too.

I am trying to find care for him so that I can give his parents a few names--because I just can't do this for 2 months. I wanted to be helpful --but I can't torture myself for 2 longgg months to make their lives easier.

So the point of my rant is I am struggling with eating right and exercising because I am soo tired. What and when should I eat when my day starts at 730am and ends at 330am with an occasional hour nap during the day? (and amazingly enough--I don't drink caffeine..LOL)

how many calories? what kind of food is more energizing? What kind of workout should I do?

Grab some carrots if you made it thru this!! Thanks ladies
January 13th, 2010, 10:23 AM
MommyToCooper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hun, I'm sorry. I have a hard time saying no as well.

As far as what to eat I would suggest protein and lots of it.... It will fill you up and give you energy but not a huge crash like carbs would. I wouldn't eliminate any particular food type, but rather try to find a balance.

Eat an apple with some peanut butter, or carrots dipped in hummus for a snack. Also, make sure you stay hydrated, that should help keep the munchies away as well.

Do what you can the day/night before to plan out your meals/snacks for the following day, that way you don't cave and feel guilty for eating something you normally wouldn't.

Definitely try to figure it out so you have some "you" time again, don't wear yourself out. Good luck!
January 13th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow, girl. I don't know how you do it. I struggle if I don't get atleast 6 hours of sleep!

All I can say is...drink lots of water. Avoid sugar because that's just going to make your blood sugar jump and then plummet.

Hang in there! Hopefully your co-worker can find someone else soon!

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]
January 13th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Honestly I think I would have to tell the parents that you just can't watch their child. Surely they will understand because of your work hours! I don't know how anyone could survive otherwise!
January 13th, 2010, 11:38 AM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
Jeez, no good deed goes unpunished! I hope you can find some new names in the meantime!

Try to focus on proteins and fibers. Protein - especially meat protein - takes longer for your body to digest, so you go longer before feeling hungry. Sources of protein aren't just meat but also hummus (as mentioned earlier) and hardboiled eggs. It is easy to boil some eggs and huck 'em in the fridge - toss one in your bag and you can snack while you drive!

Other things you can pack quickly and not have to prepare might be string cheese or those little cans of spicy tuna.

Fiber is pretty obvious, pretty much anything plant-y, lol! Stay away from enriched or white flour, and if you are eating breads or wraps, pick ones that say they are made from "sprouted grain" - this gives you the most bang for your buck in terms of the fiber & protein per calorie.

I don't know your caloric requirements, so I don't know how many calories you should eat per day. But my rule of thumb is to avoid anything with more than 100 calories per serving. (egg = 70 cals, 1 piece string cheese = 90 cals, 1 can spicy tuna = 100 cals, etc.)

Also, try not to get TOO stressed out and get as much sleep as you can. If I were you, I'd be skipping the workouts until you get this cleared up - if your body is too stressed it will actually kick into famine mode, which means your biological brain says "OMG, we are so stressed out right now. We can't afford to lose any calories! We might need them to survive!" and then it's even tougher. Also, stress increases your brain's production of chemicals that slow down the loss of body fat and even increase the size of fat cells in your abdomen. So it's worth it when you say "I am too tired to work out" in your situation!

GL hon! I really hope you can get this resolved soon, it sounds awful !
January 13th, 2010, 12:58 PM
DonovinsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies this is all really great advice! I am going to plan out my eating schedule and put lots of protein in my diet! I am feeling so overwhelmed so I am soo glad I had you guys to ask!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search