pediasure question

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2010, 10:23 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
So it looks like Walter is fighting a cold as well as a stomach virus. He has had runny stools for about 4 days. Yesterday his fever spiked up to 103 under the arm. He hasn't eaten anything these past few days. The doctor said to put him on the BRAT diet and give Tylenol and Advil together to see if his appetite increases without a fever. Still no appetite. Not drinking much either. So I ran out and got some pedialite and pediasure yesterday. He won't touch the pedialite, I even tried it a dropper and he almost threw up. He likes the pediasure though, and had about 1/2 bottle last night and almost a full bottle today. Since giving it to him though, his poops have been really dark and more abundant. Although on the flip side, his color is coming back and he has way more energy. There is a lot of sugar in pediasure, which I imagine would trigger loose stools. But I'm thinking it might be worth it. 4 days of not eating is a long time, I feel like he needs some nutrients to help his immune system work better. The only other thing he'll touch is yobaby drinkable yogurt. It's like pulling teeth to even get him to drink water. What have you heard about pediasure and diarrhea? Am I making matters worse or should I keep offering it since he is drinking it and starting to act better.
January 13th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm assuming pediasure is milk-based? I've never tried it. Usually they tell you to avoid dairy when there is diarrhea, but in your case I think I would probably do the same thing. It may prolong the diarrhea a little bit, but if it's all he'll eat, then I would say give it to him. He needs the nutrients like you said.

January 13th, 2010, 12:30 PM
LisaMarie!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I give it to Aiden because he doesn't eat a lot and I want to make sure he is getting his nutrient in. It doesn't make his poop running, it started to make his poop hard so I have to give him his meds again. I know giving milk to a kid who is throwing up is bad but I'm not sure about diarrhea.

<
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

January 13th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Pedialyte is what my pedi told us to use when Aidan has stomach issues (either throwing up or diarhea) to make sure he stays hydrated. He hated the liquid but would eat the freezies.

Pediasure is a meal replacement type thing and not meant to be used like pedialyte (this is just my interpretation, not something I"ve ever talked to our pedi about). I think it is milk based and that will make the loose stools stay that way or get worse. I personally would try to avoid anything like at the moment until the diarhea subsides. Yogurt would be doing the same thing, likely.

Can you get creative with clear juices or the pedialyte by making it into a slushy? That helps with Aidan.

Sorry he's not well, 4 days is a long time but the key really is hydration at this point - the lack of food is okay.

January 13th, 2010, 12:58 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'm not sure what I would do in this case. When Lily gets a stomach bug, she'll usually throw up once and then have loose stools for about 5 days after. I tend to stick with the BRAT diet the first two days to make sure she's not going to throw up again, but after that I start adding normal stuff back in even though she still has the runny poop. She'll refuse the bland stuff after those first days so I figure normal food has to be better than no food? Maybe don't overdo the pediasure just in case, but at the same time he does need some nutrients to fight off the cold. Tough call!
January 13th, 2010, 03:03 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Well he's only had one real saturated diaper since waking up, but I read somewhere that every 6 hours is ok. I left him with my parents for a bit tonight while I went to get poweraide and came back to them saying he stole 1/2 of my dads pb sandwich and then ate 1/3 piece of pizza. I know hydration is key but the fact he has an appetite tonight is a relief. I have only offered 1 pediasure today and he has had about 1/2 of a yogurt smoothie, so not too much. I read that yogurt can be good for upset tummies because of the probiotics.
January 13th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Blessedx3
honestly,

i was always told something is better than nothing when they have diarrhea. they said to try pedialyte first if they wont take it than try gatorade or another electrolyte sports drink, or juice just to get fluids in them even popsiciles work. at this point as long as he is getting something in him i think your ok.
January 13th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to madelynsmomma
Pediasure tends to make Madelyn more constipated instead of the other way around. Did you see that pedialyte comes in an individual powder form now? You mix it with water, but could mix it with juice or anything really and help boost the electrolytes. Hope he feels better soon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search