Is miralax a stool softener or a laxative?

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Pinkee~'s Avatar All girl momma!
I am having problems with Joe and need to do something for her. Found this article Pediatrics: ANAL RENTENTION IN A TODDLER, bowel retraining, encopresis and it sounds like she has encopresis. So apparently I need to do some kindof retraining for her and I need a laxative to do so. I will more than likely see her doc before I start to get his opinion, but we have miralax already and wondered if it would do any good or if I need something else.

February 8th, 2010, 11:52 PM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
Laxative
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
February 9th, 2010, 03:35 AM
Laura56's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Actually it is a stool softener with a very, very mild laxative effect. It takes 1-3 days for the laxative effect to work. Aliana is on 1-2 tbsps every single day to go. She was taking 1 tbsp every night and that stopped working so she went to 2 tbsps. Then when we stopped the milk it got better so I went down to 1 tbsp. Although she hasn't gone in 2 days! She holds it in and it gets worse. So I had to make it soft enough that she couldn't hold it in. She has to be on it for a while to retrain her.

February 9th, 2010, 03:43 AM
ValyntineG's Avatar Based on a True Story
I have no idea, but pooping is gross.

claire1979 is my siggy hero

www.etsy.com/shop/68cents
Go there. Buy stuff.

February 9th, 2010, 08:32 AM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura56 View Post
Actually it is a stool softener with a very, very mild laxative effect. It takes 1-3 days for the laxative effect to work. Aliana is on 1-2 tbsps every single day to go. She was taking 1 tbsp every night and that stopped working so she went to 2 tbsps. Then when we stopped the milk it got better so I went down to 1 tbsp. Although she hasn't gone in 2 days! She holds it in and it gets worse. So I had to make it soft enough that she couldn't hold it in. She has to be on it for a while to retrain her.
You should tell Miralax it's a stool softener then, says laxative on the website.
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
February 9th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Shut up Brie! Pooping is the most awesomest thing ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura56 View Post
Thats what I thought and its what that article says as well. It also says for this problem Joe needs a laxative instead of a stool softener. She needs to literally be forced to go so she can start the retraining. Oh the fun this is going to be! *sigh* This sucks! Bobbi went thru the same exact thing because she was constipated from milk & it hurt for a looooong time. I didnt mind with her so much becuase I KNEW why she was holding back. But Joe? There is NO reason why she should hold it in! Im at such a loss with her

Im off to call the doc and make an apt for Joe. Or rather call hubby and see if we would have the $50 necessary to take both Joe & Eryn in.

February 9th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Laura56's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLacey View Post
You should tell Miralax it's a stool softener then, says laxative on the website.
Haha! I think I might. It is a laxative but a totally different kind of laxative as they advertise it. It is really mild with minimal side effects. But it softens the stool and slowly works as a laxative. It took Aliana almost 3 days to have any type of laxative effect.

Wendy - Aliana's GI dr told me for her weight at the time (23 lbs) to start at 1 tbsp for a week and see what happens.. even if it was loose. My problem was when she was too loose I held the miralax and then it took days to get back in her system and work again. She ended up going up to 2 tbsps. Now she is back at 1 tbsp and I'm hoping that soon she'll be off of it. Her problems were from her milk allergy. Even now, she didn't poop in 2 days and it wasn't too hard! Normally if she didn't go in 24 hrs it was too hard. So getting rid of the milk has helped. But I need to make sure she isn't holding it in before I go off of it completely. Hopefully miralax can help Joe. I haven't heard of anyone that it hasn't helped.

February 9th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Thank you! I am holding off on getting her on anything before I see the doc on the 26th because honestly I would have no idea what dose to put her on. Or if I should do miralax or some other kindof laxative. Im REALLY hoping I come away with some answers at that apt. I cant keep doing what we have been doing. Altho today was a better day so far after we talked about it. Crossing my fingers! She has at least 20 pairs of underwear and we probably go thru that much in 2-3days from all her accidents. Its getting REALLY old!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search