Caffeine Withdraw

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2010, 07:14 AM
TallyGirl22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am having a REALLY hard time with the caffeine withdraw. I was supposed to start my "healthier eating" (not calling it a diet, its a lifestyle change) and the 30DS this past Mon but thanks to the slow mail my DVD wont be here until probably today - but I did start eating right on Monday and watching my calories, cutting carbs and caffeine.

Now to explain how ADDICTED I was to caffeine I would have 1 cup of coffee in the morning (not that I craved that, just tastes SO good) and probably 3-4 Coke's per day - YES bad bad bad!!

Well I decided I'll let myself have 1 Coke per day - as my one guilty pleasure... I get major headaches if I don't have a Coke so I figure not so bad.

Monday I tried just 1 Diet Coke and OMG my headache got so bad I was about to throw up. I felt so nauseated. Yesterday I did 1 real Coke (not diet) and my head still pounded and it is STILL pounding at 9:13am today

My mom suggests a week or so of drinking 2 Coke's per day (even though that puts me over the calories I wanted) and then go down to 1, she said in a way I've put my body into "shock" since I'm so used to all the caffeine... what do you think?

Anyone have problems getting off caffeine? Geez it sounds like I'm on drugs huh? Caffeine IS a drug OMG its so addicting....

Happy 5th Birthday to my princess Elizabeth!

[/CENTER]
February 10th, 2010, 07:43 AM
MommyToCooper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry, I don't have much advice as I'm a total caffeine avoider... it makes me jittery and nauseous so I don't do well with it.

If you take Tylenol does that help?

I'm sure it's an adjustment phase to get it out of your system, and I think limiting it rather than cutting it cold turkey is probably the right way to go (at least that is what I would do).

Sorry I can't help more but good luck!
February 10th, 2010, 07:45 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
You've definitely got to ease off of caffeine! I drank as much caffeine as you did, though purely in the form of sodas, and cut back when I was pregnant with Eric. I tried to go cold turkey and OMG, BAD. So I went from 5-6 a day to 2-3, then just 1 with dinner, then down to 1 every couple days. It took about a month to get it down to where I wanted it, but I didn't have any of the headaches or extreme fatigue that came with the sudden cut in caffeine.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
February 10th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Thanks girls. I do think I need to just cut back slowly instead of going dramatically like I did on Monday. My head is just pounding now!!

Meagan - I've tried Tylenol and it doesn't work - Excedrin and a Coke is my next fix lol

[/CENTER]
February 10th, 2010, 08:12 AM
MommyToCooper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Gradual is the key to sticking with anything.... I know you are gung ho about the healthier lifestyle but don't overdo it, or jump in too quickly.

Still allow yourself to have some treats, that way you won't deprive yourself and end up overdoing it if you cave in. Same thing with exercise, don't overdo it to the point you end up hurting yourself.

You can do it, just give it some time!
February 10th, 2010, 08:30 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree, I think gradual is the way to go. You don't want to make yourself miserable in the process of getting healthier.

Caffeine is definitely powerful! I get a headache if my morning coffee is later than normal. So bad.

February 10th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm with you trying to cut out soda/caffeine. I'm trying gradual, although it doesn't usually give me a headache but more makes me cranky when I don't have it.
February 10th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Mama Theo's Avatar Supermom Extrordinare
Hi. My name is Kim and I was a caffeine addict.

I think excedrin has caffeine in it? I think that's what my mom would take. You can also drink tea. I'm past the total withdrawl phase, but when I was drinking 3-4 cups of coffee a day and having a couple afternoon pepsi's on top of it, I thought I was going to die when I quit. I'm down to one cup of coffee (if you can call that brown watery stuff at work coffee) a day, and I'm feeling much better.
February 11th, 2010, 08:50 PM
It is going better. I cannot do the diet soda's - I think the sweeter is bothering me too. I'm down to 2 Coke's a day..... next week we'll try 1!!

Thanks for the support!

[/CENTER]
February 14th, 2010, 03:31 PM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
How are you making out now hon? Fewer headaches I hope?
February 15th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I am still having 1-2 Coke's per day but no headaches!! I'll try to ween down to just 1 no more this week. Thanks jill!

[/CENTER]
February 15th, 2010, 11:22 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Glad it's going well! I'm the same as you, I can't do diet - the aftertaste gets me first, and then it doesn't agree very well with my stomach.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
February 15th, 2010, 12:57 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
weaning is a good idea.

I gave up caffiene a few years ago for lent ( the year before i got pregnant) and omg, giving it up cold turkey was the hardest thing ever...i was pounding excedrin like crazy!! It took a few weeks, but i eventually got used to it ( i didnt have the option of weaning since i gave it up for lent) and then i went on to not drink caffiene for about 2 years ( until i gave birth to Mac)

good for you for doing this...people dont understand how hard it can be to give it up!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search