Hints for adding calories to your childs diet

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2010, 02:46 PM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
This is a pamphlet my dr gave me today to help "fatten" Bella up. Maybe some of these idea's will help you too.

Quote:
- Adding a teaspoon of butter or margarine to foods will boost calorie content by 45 calories. Use butter or margarine in soups, vegetables, potatoes, casseroles, cooked cereals, rice and sandwhiches. Sever hot bread, toast and rolls so additional butter can be added as it melts.

-due to its high gat content, mayonnaise contains 100 calories per tablespoon--almost twice as much as salad dressings such as Miracle Whip. Serve mayonnaise and salad dressing on sandwhiches, in salads and with vegetables.

- spread cream cheese, peanut butter, honey, jelly or jam on toast, muffins, breads, pancakes, waffles, or french toast. Cream cheese and peanut butter, sources of extra protein, also taste good on raw fruits and vegetables.

-Sour cream or yogurt can add flavor and calories to cooked vegetables like beans, carrots and squash. Try sour cream or yogurt in gravies or sauces, or use for salad dressings and dips with raw vegetables or fruit.

- use sauces and gravy to add calories and variety. Add white sauce, cheese sauce, tomato sauce, sour cream or gravy to meats , potatoes, noodles and vegetables.

-breaded or friend meats contain more calories than broiled or roasted meats.

-powdered coffee creamers add calories to foods without changing flavor or increasing volume. Add to gravy, sauces, soup, milk shakes, and hot cereals.

Drink and cook with whole milk instead of low-fat or skim milk. Whole milk has 80 calories per glass more than skim milk.

-boost protein and calories by preparing instant foods such as hot cereal, soup, cocoa, or pudding with milk or half and half instead of water.

-Add flavoring to whole milk to increase calories and add variety.

-Add heavy cream or half and half to milk beverages. Pour cream or half and half over hot or cold cereal and fruit.

-Whipping cream contains about 60 calories per tablespoon. Add it to pie, fruit, pudding, jello, hot chocolate and other desserts.

-Include sandwich meats such as bologna, salami, and liverwurst which are higher in caleris than turkey and chicken.

-Choose custard style yogurt instead of plain variety to get more calories.

-Select fruit canned in heavy syrup instead of those packed in their own juices, because heavy syrup nearly doubles the calorie content.

-add extra honey or sugar to hot or cold cereal.

-Keep ready to go food on hand to eat on the run. Snack pudding, fruit cocktail, breakfast bars, and cheese and crackers are good choices.
I do not intend to use all of these and even the dr said that she only recommends this until two when her calorie intake should drop to a regular person intake. Just wanted to share.

February 22nd, 2010, 03:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Milk, milk, milk, peanut butter, peanut butter. Ugh. Sorry, Sarah, that's a great list and I'm glad you posted it. I just hate that I can only use like one or two of the ideas on there! Not that Alie needs it, but I like to make sure she keeps on gaining weight.
February 22nd, 2010, 03:54 PM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
Oh my gosh, thank you for that!

February 22nd, 2010, 06:12 PM
isolt's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to isolt
thanks! Fletcher hasn't gained any weight in forever! He loves butter.... so he eats a lot of that. And PB. But I guess i am gonna start smearing all his food with it and cream cheese lol. I will dip his veggies in cream cheese....

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy!

February 22nd, 2010, 06:23 PM
Laura56's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
Milk, milk, milk, peanut butter, peanut butter. Ugh. Sorry, Sarah, that's a great list and I'm glad you posted it. I just hate that I can only use like one or two of the ideas on there! Not that Alie needs it, but I like to make sure she keeps on gaining weight.
Ditto!! It's so annoying that dairy is the only thing fattening!! And I'm not concerned about the weight but I am concerned about the lack of fat in her diet since she's not getting whole milk.

February 22nd, 2010, 06:40 PM
ValyntineG's Avatar Based on a True Story
Dairy is NOT the only thing that's fattening and I'm not of the opinion that it's that good for you in bulk anyway. It's a very debatable issue so I won't really go into it. But there are a lot of foods that the kiddos with dairy issues can eat that will help with weight gain. Sawyer has had dairy maybe two or three times in his life and he has no problems with weight gain whatsoever.

Eggs and Avocados are both really good sources of calories and natural fats. Whole grains are good too. Sawyer eats a TON of oatmeal and cereals. Plus, I give him a lot more soy milk/almond milk/coconut milk than the recommended intake of whole milk. I put that crap in everything and truthfully don't let him drink much else other than water.

He also gets a lot of meat, pasta and rice.

My family eats a lot of cajun food... which honestly only has a few meals containing dairy. However, they are ALL super super fattening. Jambalaya and Gumbo are both total staples in this house. I just make non-spicy versions. Don't bother with the yankee recipes you read online though. If you want the good kind, I will send you the long *** cajun versions (the fattening part is in the ROUX).

claire1979 is my siggy hero

www.etsy.com/shop/68cents
Go there. Buy stuff.

February 22nd, 2010, 06:54 PM
Bedazzled's Avatar Mommy to my own superhero
Thanks so much Sarah! We add canola oil to Blaise's food as well as protein powder. Pediasure as a supplement also helps.
February 22nd, 2010, 07:03 PM
Laura56's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValyntineG View Post
Dairy is NOT the only thing that's fattening and I'm not of the opinion that it's that good for you in bulk anyway. It's a very debatable issue so I won't really go into it. But there are a lot of foods that the kiddos with dairy issues can eat that will help with weight gain. Sawyer has had dairy maybe two or three times in his life and he has no problems with weight gain whatsoever.

Eggs and Avocados are both really good sources of calories and natural fats. Whole grains are good too. Sawyer eats a TON of oatmeal and cereals. Plus, I give him a lot more soy milk/almond milk/coconut milk than the recommended intake of whole milk. I put that crap in everything and truthfully don't let him drink much else other than water.

He also gets a lot of meat, pasta and rice.

My family eats a lot of cajun food... which honestly only has a few meals containing dairy. However, they are ALL super super fattening. Jambalaya and Gumbo are both total staples in this house. I just make non-spicy versions. Don't bother with the yankee recipes you read online though. If you want the good kind, I will send you the long *** cajun versions (the fattening part is in the ROUX).
Give me some recipes! Aliana doesn't like straight avocado.. I've tried it a few times. Maybe she'll get over it and start liking it though. She starts to eat it but only eats a few bites and that is it. She also can't have eggs, peanut butter, or soy. She eats lots of chicken though and is so/so on other meats. I also give her oatmeal a lot. I gave her some lentil soup and she loved it tonight so I can give her beans for protein. I give her LOTS of almond milk. She loves it! I use the vanilla flavored. Have to try coconut milk still. Thankfully Aliana's weight is fine.. I just worry about the fat content since she is not getting whole milk.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search