NUTRITION Check In HERE!!

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 24th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Christa~ SuperMom to Cade
Okay girls, I want to know what you're doing nutrition wise. Are you eating totally clean? Partially clean? Are you EATING enough for your activity levels? Portion control? Just cutting back in general? Giving anything up? 3 meals & 2 snacks? Cutting yourself off completely at night?

I'm attempting to eat 100% clean. I'm sure there are some things that go in my mouth that aren't considered clean, but I've come to a mindset... if it doesn't benefit my body, I don't need it in my mouth.

So besides the occasional fudgecicle, haha (see Kel's gum post)

I know you girls already know this, but I want to stress.... NUTRITION is a HUGE part of weight loss & a healthy lifestyle. And I'm not talking about NOT eating. I'm talking about eating... fueling your bodies. Especially if you're working out, doing the 30DS or whatever, you have to feed your body to keep your metabolism cranked!!

And if any of you tell me that you are skipping breakfast, I will disown you!! Same goes for if you tell me you stop eating at 7 p.m.

So tell me what your day looks like from a nutritional standpoint.

.................................................. .........................................
My day looks like this:
-Breakfast... coffee & a bowl of oatmeal with berries (although I need to switch to steel cut oats instead of flakes) and then a protein shake.
-Mid morning snack... usually have this before I go to the gym and is usually a small protein shake & banana or some fruit
-lunch... I've been on a tuna lettuce wrap lately. Just put some tuna & hummus & a sprinkle of cheese on a few big leaves of lettuace & roll it up.
-afternoon snack... boiled egg or fruit or veggie
- dinner... Some kind of protein and either a complex carb or vegetable
-before bed... low carb yogurt or some kind of fruit or if I"m starving, a protein shake

I've cut out all bread... not carbs... BREAD. And junk of course. Been eating a lot of egg whites... a lot of green stuff, LOL.

Last edited by GymChick; February 24th, 2010 at 06:28 PM.
February 24th, 2010, 06:35 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
HMMM
im not as good as you, but i have cleaned up my diet tremendously.

i usually have a bowl of frosted flakes for breakfast, and a bottle of water or cup of 1% milk.

i try not to eat until lunch, although i usually munch on some crackers or something if mac has some. And i usually ahve a bottle or two of water in there.

Lunch has been a salad and half a sandwhich and a 100 calorie pack snack and a bottle of water with a true lemon mix in it ( 5 cal)

i usually have an afternoon snack, its either pretzels, wheat thins, granola bar, nutrigrain bar with a bottle of water

dinner, i just eat whatever i make the family. and a bottle of water to drink

and then i have a snack at about 8 wen the kids go to bed. Its been a light yogurt with granola and apple slices.

i might also have a cookie here and there throughout the day, lol

like i said, what i eat might not all be super great for me, but its a huge step up from the pop, fast food, potato chips, ect that i had gotten in a habit of doing.

Also, i havent had fast food in a week---not a huge legnth of time, but its a long time for me.

Still waiting on my freaking 30 DS, ggggrrrrr
February 24th, 2010, 06:41 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I generally live by the rule that I eat when I'm hungry and don't when I'm not. This actually turns into a fairly predictable pattern of every 3 hours until lunch and then every 4 hours after, because I work out in the morning and need the extra snack bump afterward. This also takes care of portion control, as I eat slowly and stop when I'm full but not stuffed.

I don't follow any diet, or eat clean, or any of that stuff; I'm looking to adopt a lifestyle that I know is maintainable, and for me, that means being able to treat myself now and then to some ice cream, fries, pizza, etc. When I indulge, I do so in small amounts (snack size ice cream, typically low fat like skinny cow stuff, or split a pizza with others and only have a slice or two, smaller servings of stuff like potatoes and white rice), and my daily living is healthier choices. I try to make sure my daily menu is well balanced between fruits & veggies, lean proteins, fats, and carbs - the latter two usually "good" ones like almonds, whole grains, low fat cheese, cooking in EVOO, that sort of thing.

I think the only thing I have made an effort to cut out is soda; I'll still have a little once in a while when eating out, but generally go for water instead.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
February 24th, 2010, 07:01 PM
DonovinsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well for the past 2 weeks I have done awful-using the excuse that I shouldn't deprive myself if I am preggers--what a joke!

Soo I think that there is only one option now--which is to cut out everything that doesn't benefit me in a healthy way.

I have had a hard time figuring out how much my body really needs to be fueled since I am only 4'8" I think I need to focus my eating to around 1000-1200 calories a day!? But I don't know if that is enough-but I only maintain if I eat more than that. Any suggestions Christa?
February 24th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonovinsMommy View Post
I have had a hard time figuring out how much my body really needs to be fueled since I am only 4'8" I think I need to focus my eating to around 1000-1200 calories a day!? But I don't know if that is enough-but I only maintain if I eat more than that. Any suggestions Christa?
I'll ask the hubs here in a second. Do you work out every day?

Okay, I asked and he needs more specifics... your weight, BMI if you know it, measurements... LOL... he can give you a better idea if he knows more... you can PM me if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsong View Post
I generally live by the rule that I eat when I'm hungry and don't when I'm not.
That is actually a REALLY good rule to live by... but still you have to watch what you are feeding yourself if you live by that (and not saying you don't Kel, just saying generally speaking). Like me for instance, my workouts are so intense, I starve all the time, LOL... so I really have to watch what I put into my body.

I think that once I'm closer to my goal weight I will probably go back to treating myself more often and not eating quite as clean. I can't wait to be in "maintenance" mode!!

Last edited by GymChick; February 24th, 2010 at 07:36 PM.
February 24th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream2bemommy22 View Post
like i said, what i eat might not all be super great for me, but its a huge step up from the pop, fast food, potato chips, ect that i had gotten in a habit of doing.

Also, i havent had fast food in a week---not a huge legnth of time, but its a long time for me.

Still waiting on my freaking 30 DS, ggggrrrrr
Oh I agree, that is WONDERFUL that you've given up fastfood... hopefully for good LOL
February 24th, 2010, 08:25 PM
DonovinsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey Christa, I sent you a PM!
February 25th, 2010, 03:51 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymChick View Post
I think that once I'm closer to my goal weight I will probably go back to treating myself more often and not eating quite as clean. I can't wait to be in "maintenance" mode!!
Maintenance mode is gonna be sweet. I've bounced back and forth to be honest; I'm maintaining about a half pound per week loss instead of going all out at it. I need to get back at it full time, but what I'm doing is working too, just not as speedy-like. And I agree that you have to watch what you eat even if your timing is smart about it! I've been an "eat when I'm hungry" gal for pretty much my entire adult life (and earlier), but obviously I wasn't paying that great of attention to the what aspect of it before, LOL!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
February 25th, 2010, 05:20 AM
MommyToCooper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would say I eat "clean" for most of my meals.

My typical weekday (weekends are harder) is:
- Breakfast: Oatmeal with Berries
- typically don't do a mid-morning snack
- Lunch: Salad with a low calorie dressing and some sort of protein. This week I've been doing a small salad with something else like California rolls, or a quinnoa salad
- Mid-afternoon snack: a yogurt or pretzels and cheese
- Dinner: usually a protein and veggies, sometimes a carb. Last night we had black bean meatballs, avacado, tomato, pita and greek yogurt

Christa - I do have a question for you if you know anything about protein supplements... Do you mind if I PM you?
February 25th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyToCooper View Post
Christa - I do have a question for you if you know anything about protein supplements... Do you mind if I PM you?
Sure!!
February 25th, 2010, 07:01 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My two goals right now are eating only when I'm truly hungry (not when I'm bored or because someone has offered me something yummy!) and trying to watch portions/eating treats in moderation.

I am trying to chug more water when I feel like I want to snack (when I know I'm not really hungry) so that's improving. However, I love cooking and trying new recipes and my DH & I are such foodies. So I don't want to cut anything out completely - I just want to limit my indulgances. Like Kel mentioned, still eat ice cream but a smaller portion, etc.

My typical day:
Breakfast - coffee and oatmeal/Raisin Bran/whole grain english muffin w/PB
Lunch - soup or tuna sandwich, fruit, and yogurt & granola
Snack - granola bar or some of Leah's goldfish!
Dinner - whatever I make the family

I'm trying not to snack after dinner, but if I do, I'm TRYING to do a 60 cal pudding snack or yogurt & granola.

If you have any tips, Christa, I'm ALL ears!

February 25th, 2010, 07:01 AM
TallyGirl22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You are WAY better than me Christa!! LOL

I cut my calories back to 1000-1200 per day. I am limiting my carbs, but cannot completely cut them out YET b/c its my favorite lol but definitely WAY back and not eating sweets.

Bfast - Usually one of my EAS Protein shakes (110cals) and oatmeal or a yogurt (100cals)
Mid Morning snack - apple, yogurt or a few almonds (only 10 tho b/c they are 10cals each)
Lunch - Either soup, salad or half a sandwich on whole wheat bread & a small side of either yogurt (if I didnt eat it already) or a veggie
Mid afternoon snack - a protein bar, these adkins "day break bars" about 100-130cals, 1 net carb, 10g protein very good and can get my "chocolate" that way
Dinner- some kind of meat & a veggie - no bread at this meal

*If I need an after dinner snack/dessert I do some low cal yogurt, almonds, apple, orange or celery (they are negative cals!)

Happy 5th Birthday to my princess Elizabeth!

[/CENTER]
February 28th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Mama Theo's Avatar Supermom Extrordinare
I don't count calories...ever. Not really sure what eating clean is, but here's my menu M-F:

Breakfast: 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese w/raspberries (or peaches, but love raspberries) and 1 cup of coffee

Snack: 1 piece of fruit an/or 1/4 cup almonds

lunch: something high in protein, and fast enough to eat at my desk, lol! I love chicken of the sea salmon packets. If I don't bring lunch in, I hit Wendy's drive through for a large chili (under 300 calories, ladies!)

Snack: baby carrots (I need the crunch as a stress reliever, so this gets me away from the vending machine) and/or 1/4 cup almonds

Dinner: whatever the fam is having. I try to make it healthy, but it doesn't always go that way. I'm watching portion sizes and eating off of salad plates. When I finish, I wait 20 minutes before deciding if I'll have more. Usually that's enough time for my body to be satisfied.

8-12 cups of water every day

And yes Christa, I don't eat after 7pm. But I'm usually asleep by 9 lol! 5:30 am workouts do that to a girl
February 28th, 2010, 03:16 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
Here's what I ate today...so far ( haven't had dinner yet).
Breakfast - glass of milk, Special K bar, Clemantine
Lunch - Hog dog & bun with 1 tsp katchup and relish & some of my Cherry limeade from Sonic.
Snack - Another cereal bar
Dinner - Veggie and Salmon

I count calories. I am supposed to get up to 2000 a day seeing as I'm bfing...but yesterday all I got was 1400+. I'm going to do the 30 day shred tomorrow and incorporate some protien shake in to my snacks or meals.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search