I need help!!

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2010, 02:56 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
I am struggling trying to find things that are quick and easy to make, but still healthy for me. I have been living off salad and chicken lately- not together , but for seperate meals.

I also eat alot of yogurt and granola with fruit like an apple or grapes---its honestly the only thing i ever feel full after eating.

But as far as mealtime, i just dont hav a clue. Whats good food to help fill me up and keep me satisfied, but at the same time not totally blow my calorie counts for the day.

Please help, im feeling so lost.
March 1st, 2010, 03:35 PM
Christa~ SuperMom to Cade
What kind of granola are you eating? Granola is high in fiber, which is good, but it *can* be loaded with calories & sugar. I've looked at it before and put it back on the shelf... I'm honestly not sure why it's "labeled" as such a healthy food... it's really not besides it's fiber content.

Do you like tuna? I've been eating tuna every day... I love it though. We eat a lot of deli turkey too, just the roasted turkey breast, shaved real thin, and then we usually make a lettuace wrap with some green leaf lettuace, put some turkey (or tuna) on a few leaves and then roll it up. Apples & bananas are probably the most filling fruits that you could eat. How about adding some veggies in there? LOL Almonds... if you like eggs, you could boil some in advance and then all you have to do is peel & eat (I've been throwing the yolks away & just eating the whites)...

Not sure if this helps or not... you asked for "quick" ideas but then you mentioned mealtimes... this is more of some snack ideas I guess. But honestly, you should be thinking in terms of 6 small meals a day... you'd eat ever 3 hours or so... so these ideas should work.
March 1st, 2010, 03:59 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Thanks Christa. I buy the lowest calorie granola i can find, and then usually cut the serving in half and add some fruit. I know it might not be the best thing for me, but like i said im starving....it sucks.

I like the hard boiled egg idea too, im ight have to do that. What about just cooking the egg whites, is that ok too?

not a huge fan of tuna, so thats not going to work. but i have been doing turkey sandwhiches, but i might have to try that lettuce wrap tomorrow!

i think im also going to stock up on some carrots to munch on. i try not to have bananas in the house, becuase Mac gets a rash from them, but INSISTS on having them when she sees them, lol. But i might have to stash them away so mommy can have some!

thanks for the tips, if you think of anything else let me know!
March 1st, 2010, 04:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I like some of the Healthy Request soups for lunch. Chicken Tortilla is my favorite.

I think it helps to make about 2-3 servings extra of whatever you're making for dinner, and then reheat it for lunch for the next couple of days. Add a small salad, some V8, an apple, strawberries, whatever. Doesn't get much healthier than that.

Buy a Biggest Loser cookbook or find some healthy-ish recipes online. If the recipe isn't perfect, that's okay. Just make substitutions. Use fat-free sour cream, low-fat cheeses, skim milk, olive oil, etc.

One thing that I really really like is steamable frozen veggies. You can get the Great Value brand or there's a couple other name brands. But they're already seasoned and ready to go. Just throw it in the microwave and you're done. And you can use the leftovers for your lunch the next day.

Also, have you found a good protein shake? Pair that with some fruit or veggies, and you've got a meal there, too.

Hope this helps!

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]
March 1st, 2010, 04:31 PM
Christa~ SuperMom to Cade
Yeah, I was going to suggest a protein shake next... you just have to watch bc a lot of protein shakes that you buy in grocery stores are FULL of sugar. If you're interested in protein powder, we buy ours online, it's the best that we've found anywhere as far as calories/sugar content go. Plus it's just good protein.

You could try wraps too. Kroger has a low carb tortilla, just 11 carbs (most are like 20 some carbs each)

Oh yeah, also love those steamfresh veggies!!!
March 1st, 2010, 04:49 PM
Mama Theo's Avatar Supermom Extrordinare
I've been eating a lot of fish lately. I'll bring a chicken of the sea salmon packet for lunch and pair that with a cheese stick. I also LOVE tillapia seasoned with cumin and mixed with black beans. Top that with a little bit of salsa and a pinch of shredded cheese and it's delish.

I eat baby carrots every afternoon. I crave crunchy things when I'm stressed and the end of my work day is super stressful. I've actually found myself reaching for those over a bag of chips or the oodles of crackers we have here (my hubs works for a cookie and cracker company)
March 1st, 2010, 05:59 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
I bought a box of the 90 calorie Special K bars and they're not only good but low calorie!

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

March 1st, 2010, 06:35 PM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
Try getting some ground chicken (extra lean, of course) and make patties - a couple shots of Olive Oil Pam in a frying pan, then heat the patties through. You can season them a bit with some herbs (steer clear of taco seasoning - really high in sodium) and just keep 'em in the fridge. They make awesome quick snacks for the LOs, too! Jack and I both had one for lunch today!
March 2nd, 2010, 05:35 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you have a crockpot, Shannon? I've got a good chicken & white bean chili recipe that I make often. Just throw the ingredients in and you've got a good meal for lunch or dinner. Very filling and healthy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search