Calorie Counters: Low Calorie Snacks!

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 2nd, 2010, 10:55 AM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
Okay, I'm not sure how many of you are (or have) tried losing weight AND breastfeed at the same time! It's tough! At least for me. I crave milk (we drink whole)..so for me that's over 100 calories in an 8 oz glass. On top of that, I have a tramedous sweet tooth when I nurse. It's nuts!

Here's a few "sweet" things I've found that are under 100 calories per serving. Quaker Oats has some 90 calorie snack packs, & rice cakes that are from 35-60 calories from what I looked at.

Special K has protein shakes, protein water ect, and some of their snacks have 90 calories (snack bars) and others like their protein meal bars have 170 calories. The water mix has 30, protein shake has 180 (meal replacement, I assume), fruit crisps are 180.

Anyway, please forgive me if this all sounds dumb...I'm totally 100% new at this and so I'm excited to find things that are low calorie and hopefully taste good. (I tired the 90 calorie Special K cereal bar - Chocolate Prezel...pretty tastey).

Keep in mind you can also eat fruits/veggies that are low in calorie too. My problem is the dressing I want to go with my veggies. lol I love me some Ranch!

Quaker Oats Snacks
Special K Cereals/Snacks

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

March 2nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
Christa~ SuperMom to Cade
Okay, first of all... YOU DRINK WHOLE MILK??? Seriously, you need to be drinking skim milk. I wouldn't recommend whole milk to ANY adult unless you're trying to GAIN.

Secondly, you can't just look at calories. You need to look at everything you're putting into your body. If you're eating something that is low calorie, it can still be loaded with carbs & sugar, which is just as bad. And one reason why I don't even give these "100 calorie snack packs" a 2nd glance... be they're a marketing gimick, IMO. You have to look at everything. For instance... you're looking at the calories in 1 eight ounce glass of milk... 147 isn't so bad... but almost 9 grams of fat... and almost 5 of that is saturated.

As far as the whole sweets thing goes... I know (from experience) that sweets & sugar & chocolate is addictive.... yes I said it, addictive. Honestly if you try to go 3 days straight without ONE bite of chocolate/sugar, you will not crave it. Just try it.

But seriously maria, you gotta cut out that whole milk, LOL

Last edited by GymChick; March 2nd, 2010 at 11:52 AM.
March 2nd, 2010, 12:52 PM
TallyGirl22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I drink 1% but I have MAYBE 1 glass a week if that. I'm not a huge milk fan. I made DH stop drinking whole milk and left that to Elizabeth. My DSD's I had to cut out the whole milk for them too and went to 1%.

I too watch my calories, try to keep it 1000-1200/ish but I also have to watch sugars & carbs.

I love love love my Adkins Day break bars! They are 110-150 cals per bar depending on which one you get and low carbs & sugar, also have some awesome chocolate ones which help with those chocolate cravings!

I do oatmeal for breakfast too and in addition to working out every day I do SOMETHING.

Christa - I tried a WHOLE WEEK without sweets and it was SO hard and I still almost a month later crave the heck out of them!

Happy 5th Birthday to my princess Elizabeth!

[/CENTER]
March 2nd, 2010, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymChick View Post
Okay, first of all... YOU DRINK WHOLE MILK???
Yes I do & it's YUMMY! lol seriously...if I were to cut out the whole milk and go to something less faty, I'd probably go to 2%, I can't stand the taste of skim milk, it makes me sick (literally).

March 2nd, 2010, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessdmommy View Post
Yes I do & it's YUMMY! lol seriously...if I were to cut out the whole milk and go to something less faty, I'd probably go to 2%, I can't stand the taste of skim milk, it makes me sick (literally).
*shaking my head*

LOL

Try this... do 2% for 2 weeks... then do 1% for 2 weeks... and then try skim again. When we first got married and I was WAY overweight, we were drinking 2% and that's how I weened myself off of it. I can understand the love for it, I used to be there... but now it gags me, so thick, eek.
March 2nd, 2010, 01:42 PM
I'll have to try it. I dont think 2% is bad at all, it's just not as thick as whole milk. lol Skim reminds me of the consistency of breast milk! LOL

The thing is though, is that I'm not overweight for my height. I just wanna get toned and lose the baby pudge.

March 2nd, 2010, 02:30 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Maria, as far as switching milk, i would start out going to 2% and work your way down to at least 1%-- your body will eventually get used to it over the whole milk. i dont like the taste of skim either, we drink 1% in my house, and like bonnie, i dont drink it too often. Only in cereal and the occasional small glass here and there.

Like christa said, just be careful of the 90 calorie packs, low in something, usuallymeans high in something else...thats how they keep it tasting good,lol.
that being said, i still eat them, i figure its better than some french fries, and us BFing girls do need to eat and keep our calories up. But i would definately cut out the whole milk, way too fatty!!!

Id stock up on apples and bananas for your sweet tooth. Maybe even some yogurt, those have all really helped me stay away from the cookies and sweet treats, but still leaving me satisfied...maybe even put a little peanut butter on them to treat yourself!

just becuase you dont want to lose weight doesnt mean you shouldnt watch what you put into your body, otherwise you may be working out for nothing. Your workouts might just make your unhealtheir eating habits cancel each other out.
March 2nd, 2010, 03:13 PM
I will tell you guys this.... FIBER ONE BARS. They are gooooooood and they're not too bad in the other areas. We've compared them all and these babies have a TON of fiber and a lot less sugar & carbs than the others. We both eat them
March 2nd, 2010, 03:18 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymChick View Post
I will tell you guys this.... FIBER ONE BARS. They are gooooooood and they're not too bad in the other areas. We've compared them all and these babies have a TON of fiber and a lot less sugar & carbs than the others. We both eat them
Thank you! i will be picking these up tomorrow wheni head to the grocery store for a few things! love those things!
March 2nd, 2010, 03:56 PM
@Christa

Fiber One Bars...got it! I'll have to pick some up next time we go to the store!

March 3rd, 2010, 07:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Christa about the weaning yourself off whole milk. Just try to atleast get down to 1%. After awhile you'll wonder how you could ever stand whole milk. Trust me!

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]
March 3rd, 2010, 08:47 AM
sarastar512's Avatar Super Mommy
personally, all those low cal packaged snacks and bars are garbage!! Look at the ingredients on those packages---theres like 15 differant things in there, alot of them chemicals and additives. They are total garbage.

The best low cal snack is anything with only the ingredient as the ingredient i.e orange , apple, banana,

or try to go as natural and whole as possible. Zero Fat Greek Yogurt is awesome and full of protein. Dont get the regular--it can have as much as 20grams of fat per serving and over 250 calories!! Plus, there is no aspartame or artificial sweetners in it.

I usually snack on high protein items like hard boiled eggs and turkey slices.

Also, items with high fiber are super filling. I have quaker oatmeal that has 40% daily fiber and Kashi Go Lean Cereal (which i looooove). Clif Bars are really good and alot of them are sort of sweet so it can satisfy your sweet tooth.

I also agree about the whole milk. I actually find milk totally disgusting (i use soy milk for my cereal and Ethan drinks whole) but i cant even stomach skim but i can see the differance in hues of the milk so I am guessing whole probably tastes better? But, it does have alot of fat in it!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search