Lurker coming out of the closet!

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Hi!

My name is Jenny and I've been lurking on this board forEVER. I've always been too lazy to try and figure out my password or create a new account (didn't realize it was so easy!) so I've never actually logged in and commented.

My "baby"'s name is Reed and he'll be 2 April 8th.

The real reason I came on is because I have been noticing this thread lately and have wanted to ask some dieting questions.

I don't have much to lose, 4-5 pounds would make me happy. I am 5'4 and weight 124 - 125 pounds. My real problem area is my stomach!

I eat all of the time I'm always hungry. I can easily eat 1700 calories a day. BUT I think in order to lose a few pounds I should only be eating 1200 calories a day? What's your opinion? I have a really hard time maintaining that many calories because I'm hungry all of the time. I try and get to the gym about 4-5 times a week for an hour at a time.

I'm also interested in some sort of protein shake to keep me satisfied. I just bought one at Walmart that's vanilla whey protein, mixed it with water and milk and was GAGGING trying to take a drink of it. Gross how can anyone stomach those?

So my questions are: how many calories should I be eating a day? And does anyone REALLY have a good protein shake they recomment? Christa I saw your thing about protein shakes-would a chocolate one taste like chocolate milk? Am I too confident in the taste of them?

Thanks for any information you can give me!
March 5th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Christa~ SuperMom to Cade
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorbet3 View Post
Hi!

My name is Jenny and I've been lurking on this board forEVER. I've always been too lazy to try and figure out my password or create a new account (didn't realize it was so easy!) so I've never actually logged in and commented.

My "baby"'s name is Reed and he'll be 2 April 8th.

The real reason I came on is because I have been noticing this thread lately and have wanted to ask some dieting questions.

I don't have much to lose, 4-5 pounds would make me happy. I am 5'4 and weight 124 - 125 pounds. My real problem area is my stomach!

I eat all of the time I'm always hungry. I can easily eat 1700 calories a day. BUT I think in order to lose a few pounds I should only be eating 1200 calories a day? What's your opinion? I have a really hard time maintaining that many calories because I'm hungry all of the time. I try and get to the gym about 4-5 times a week for an hour at a time.

I'm also interested in some sort of protein shake to keep me satisfied. I just bought one at Walmart that's vanilla whey protein, mixed it with water and milk and was GAGGING trying to take a drink of it. Gross how can anyone stomach those?

So my questions are: how many calories should I be eating a day? And does anyone REALLY have a good protein shake they recomment? Christa I saw your thing about protein shakes-would a chocolate one taste like chocolate milk? Am I too confident in the taste of them?

Thanks for any information you can give me!
First of all, I'll say that the chocolate shake mixes (I posted the link)... they are EXCELLENT. I don't like them as well mixed in water, but if you're using them as a meal replacement, put it in skim milk and it's yummy!!

1700 calories seems like a lot. You are active at the gym, but not THAT active. I would definitely cut the calories and shoot more towards 1400-1500 (less on days that you're not working out)

You say you're hungry all the time... you may need to take a look at what you're eating. Try to eat more foods that are high in fiber especially, protein rich foods... You say you eat all day and 1700 calories but I have no idea what your diet is like.

Losing the stomach is about 95% diet. You have to eat clean to lose that, it's just a sad fact of life. You could do crunches until pigs fly but until you're eating a clean diet, THAT fat is not going to come off.

Welcome to the board & we're happy to have you here! Hope you visit our main board too!!
March 5th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I really do try and eat a lot of protein-that's why I can't understand why I'm hungry all day long. I've always been like this but before I started trying to watch what I eat I would snack on junk food and Mt. Dew all day

I eat things like Special K protein cereal, whole wheat english muffins with 1 Tbsp. peanut butter, turkey breast lunch meat, apples, string cheese, yogurt (lite), whole wheat bread, green beans, bananas, I try and eat a decent meal for dinner with my family and then I always have popcorn for a snack (100-140) calories at night.

I just wish I could carb the cravings that I have all day long.
March 6th, 2010, 08:23 PM
After my complaining here I got back on the scale this morning and saw I had dropped another pound. WHOO HOOOO!!!

Thanks Christa I was really always curious how many calories I should be eating a day to lose weight. I had heard 1200 but my sister thought that was too low. I am really thinking of trying those protein shakes you mentioned-I am so scared of gagging on it again I'm curious-do you mix it with a spoon into your milk/water or a blender?

*Shudder*
March 6th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Christa~ SuperMom to Cade
Bodybuilding.com has this AWESOME little mixer... let me see if I can find a link...

Bodybuilding.com - F.I.T. Mobile Mixer - Mixes In Seconds! On sale now!

If you are serious about protein shakes, this little mixer is worth it's weight in gold! LOL I'd probably pay 20 bucks for it, so 7.99 is great!! Bc really, your height & weight looks pretty good, you said you only want to lose 4-5 pounds, that shouldn't be hard...

What exactly do you do in the gym? If you lift weights, lift first. Do about 5-10 minutes of warmup (tredmill or whatever) and then lift weights & then do your cardio. Lifting first causes you to burn more calories with your cardio... a lot of people think they need to do cardio first... so that may be something else that will help you.

I'd shoot for 1200-1400 depending on your activity level. You def need more if you're working out hardcore every day, but even at 1400, as long as you're not eating a lot of empty calories, you'll see the weight come off.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search