I met with a Dietitian

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2010, 01:09 PM
TallyGirl22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I am doing this 100 mile Ovarian Cycle Charity Spin on May 15th (see my post on the main PR board) well we have 6 weeks of once a week spinning training and the use of her on our Saturdays - she gave me this info/tips and I wanted to pass on to you. I guess if you have any other general questions - I can ask her when I start meeting with her every Saturday morning starting April 3rd. here ya go, info about working out, weight loss and eating right.

The Skinny on Pre- and Post-workout snacks
It's important to fuel up before your workouts and just as important to re-fuel afterwards. What you choose to eat, though, will make a difference in your workouts and how you feel afterwards.

Your pre-workout snack should be eaten one to two hours before your workout and should be mostly carbohydrate. Avoid large amounts of dairy, citrus, and spicy or high-fat foods before working out. Make sure you are also drinking enough fluid to properly hydrate before the workout! Here are some ideas for easy pre-workout snacks:

• 1 small bagel with 1 tbs Smart Balance olive oil spread
  • 2 pieces of toast with fruit spread
  • 2 graham crackers with 1 tsp peanut butter
  • ˝ pita with ham, turkey, and veggies
  • PowerBar
Ideally, you want to replenish with a sports drink or water with a snack within 30 minutes to one hour of finishing your workout. Choose a snack with approximately 240 calories of something that is high in carbohydrate (50 g carbohydrate = 200 calories) with a little protein (10 g protein = 40 calories). Some quick recovery snacks include:
  • Chocolate milk or chocolate soy-milk
  • Smoothie with 1 cup low-fat milk, ˝ cup frozen berries, 1 small banana
  • Smoothie with 1 cup low-fat milk, 1 tbs. cocoa powder, 1 banana
  • Low-fat yogurt with ˝ cup granola
  • ----------------------------------------------------------------
Six Week Cycling: Food Plan

It's a pretty simple concept that in order to lose weight you have to eat less calories than you burn. But, eating too few calories can be counterproductive and keep you from reaching your body composition goal. Going long periods without eating is also counterproductive and will cause you to store more energy as fat. The secret to improving your body composition is to only slightly restrict calories so that your energy intake is high enough to maintain and grow your lean body mass while you are burning your fat mass. Here are three tips you should work on in order to jump start your metabolism: soon you will be a lean, mean, calorie-burning machine!
  • Eat breakfast
  • Never skip meals
  • To figure out your total daily calorie needs, perform the following calculation:
1) Multiply your body weight (in pounds) x 10

2) Multiply that number x 1.3 if you are moderately active, x 1.4 if you are very active, x 1.5 if you are extremely active such as an elite athlete

3) For weight loss, subtract 400 calories

Now, take that total number of daily calories and divide it up so you are eating 3 meals and 3 small snacks (or 6 small meals) everyday!
If you have any questions, please email them to me
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps some of you!!
If any of you want the whole set of info she sent me, I can email it to you just give me your email - most of it pertains to cycling and preparing for our big day of spinning but its all helpful. I just picked out the food plan and info about working out & eating for us

Happy 5th Birthday to my princess Elizabeth!

[/CENTER]
March 11th, 2010, 01:48 PM
MommyToCooper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd love to see her whole set of info, even if it pertains to spinning/cycling (which I love)! Do you have my email or do I need to PM it to you?

Thanks for sharing the snack info, really useful!
March 11th, 2010, 03:33 PM
DonovinsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You rock for posting this! It helps with the calorie count for me!! Thank you!
March 11th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Meagan - please send me your email addy and I'll send it over when I get to work in the AM that is where it is!

Sarah - you're welcome. I hope it helps.

[/CENTER]
March 11th, 2010, 07:25 PM
DonovinsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my only question is that how much I eat-plus exercising? I know probably a silly question but when I was using myfitnesspal.com every day I ate 1000 calories a day and did a workout. It then said those were extra food calories. So if I burned 200 calories then I could eat 1200 calories that day!? I found it very confusing!
March 12th, 2010, 08:13 AM
The tips she gave me were all for us training for the cyclotron that we're doing - so her suggestions would be for people who are trying to eat right, exercise daily and lose weight.

[/CENTER]
March 12th, 2010, 08:18 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Bonnie, you are awesome for posting this! Thank you!!

March 12th, 2010, 08:20 AM
You're welcome Amanda. I just wanted to share. I know everyone has their own view of things - but it was free advice! lol

[/CENTER]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search