Eating after working out?

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2010, 06:09 AM
Hello ladies!

I bought a new treadmill over the weekend which I'm very excited about! Now I can work out at night after dark.

I was on the treadmill and it said I burned 225 calories which I felt awesome about! Until I got done working out and was STARVING and ate an apple and 1 TBSP peanut butter which probably ended up being about 150 calories or so.

So my question for you is-do you eat after working out? Do you find yourself starving? Should I have just tried to ignore my hunger and went to bed? I had probably already reached my calorie limit for the day before I worked out-so I felt guilty eating the food.
March 23rd, 2010, 06:52 AM
Christa~ SuperMom to Cade
You should actually eat something with protein after you work out. Working out speeds up your metabolism. If you starve your body your metabolism will shut down... if you feed it, it will actually continue to burn calories while you sleep. I never recommend going to bed hungry, especially starving. Your metabolism will shut down and your body will actually go into storage mode.

I usually drink a protein shake after a workout... within an hour of the end of my workout.

Just keep in mind... stick with protein for your post workout meal, avoid fat.
March 23rd, 2010, 07:25 AM
Thanks!

I had heard of eating protein after you work out-why is that?

By the way I bought the chocolate protein shake from Bodybuilding and STILL can't stomach the stuff-even when holding my nose!
March 23rd, 2010, 08:24 AM
Mama Theo's Avatar Supermom Extrordinare
Same here, a protein shake after my workout. It's replaced my morning cup of coffee. But you DEFINITELY want to eat after you work out.
March 23rd, 2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys! This really helped!
March 23rd, 2010, 11:23 AM
Christa~ SuperMom to Cade
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorbet3 View Post
Thanks!

I had heard of eating protein after you work out-why is that?

By the way I bought the chocolate protein shake from Bodybuilding and STILL can't stomach the stuff-even when holding my nose!
Really? I love it, tastes like chocolate milk to me.... have you tried putting it in milk? I like it better that way.

You need protein to repair your muscle cells after you have damaged them during your workout.
March 23rd, 2010, 12:52 PM
I did half water and half milk. It's the smell, the taste, I can't choke it down!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search