Miralax warning... It's not as safe as the dr made it out to be!

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 24th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Laura56's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aliana started taking miralax at 12 1/2 months for her constipation from her milk allergy. Instead of finding out why she had constipation the GI dr just kept increasing her miralax. Her pulmonologist figured out the milk allergy. The constipation has gotten better and she is on less miralax now. She was up to 2 tablespoons of it. She was down to half a teaspoon and then was off of miralax for a week and a half or so. Then she started getting constipated again which caused her to hold it in again which made her have to be back on miralax.

A little while after starting the miralax I started noticing that Aliana would make hand gestures.. she would be moving her fingers and her hand around. I just wrote it off as her finding her fingers and playing with them. Then it got better and wasn't too noticeable. Well now that she is back on miralax again and taking about 1 tablespoon of it I noticed that her gestures are back and getting more and more frequent. It really freaks me out! I was on a different message board about reflux, allergies, and constipation when someone mentioned something about not liking the miralax because of the neurological side effects! My GI dr has always said this is so safe and has no side effects and is no problem to be on. So I typed miralax into google and one of the autocompletes is "dangers of miralax". Apparently miralax is polyethylene glycol and antifreeze is ethylene glycol!!! It is in the same chemical family as antifreeze!! It isn't SUPPOSED to enter the bloodstream but with some people it does! And with the ones that it does it can cause neurological side effects! And renal side effects.. She has been urinating sooo much more! I attributed that to the milk allergy.. she's finally processing things normally. She always woke up dry after sleeping and has been waking up soaked!! I actually questioned whether she was diabetic cause she has had such an increase in urination. It can cause seizures and tics. It can make autism behaviors worse. Just lots of really scary things!

So I immediately stopped giving her the miralax and started giving her benefiber which is natural and increasing her fruits and veggies. I even got her to take 3 oz of pear juice which is amazing since she never drinks juice.. I had to give it to her in a bottle... but I don't care as long as she isn't on miralax. I don't know if anyone else had their child on miralax. So I thought I'd put this out there for anyone who did and didn't know about this. I was shocked about it and everyone I know who has a kid on it is completely shocked too! All the drs make it seem like it is so benign and has no side effects! I'm hoping the side effects go away but I don't know... it sounds like from other people that it takes a while for them to go away! It's just scary that you trust a dr and they don't give you all the info!

March 24th, 2010, 07:44 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
ugh. I hate when things are "typically safe" so dr's feel no need to tell you the possible side effects. do you know how many people don't know that tylenol and ibuprofen are bad for your liver?

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

March 24th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I know! People pop tylenol and advil like it's candy. Advil is bad for the kidneys though and it is irreversible.. at least the liver problems can be reversed!

March 24th, 2010, 08:00 PM
iheartaddi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Addison is on it but not on a daily basis. She maybe gets 1/2 a teaspoon 2 times a week tops. She doesn't have have what you mention but I will definitely look out for anything that looks unusual.
The Lesha likes this.

March 24th, 2010, 08:01 PM
whodatmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really think doctors need to look into natural alternatives before they offer drugs. It seems like doctors are so pill happy these days. So pill happy that they overlook, or are simply ignorant to new studies proving certain meds to be more dangerous than previously thought. It makes me so mad.

I am sorry your poor baby went through this. You poor mama!

What pisses me off even more is that once something like this happens and you lose your trust in what the doc is telling you, It makes the doc upset. Once you begin to research for yourself, they act like you are insane for not blindly trusting what they say. I had one doctor tell me that I couldn't possibly understand how to interpret studies done on medications. I could have kicked him in the nethers!!

After being pressured by a ped, Shanon and Mila both received the inhaled flu vax. Mila had no adverse side-effects other than a sore throat. Shanon developed a tick. It went on for days. weeks. It was so scary. The ped informed me that the vax didn't have that side effect, to go check out the product on the makers website. So I did. Side-effects? It actually gave me a link to report any side-effects because not enough research had been done to really know what all of the side effects were. Sickening isn't it? And doctors/ drug makers wonder why I don't trust them.

Hugs Laura. I am so sorry that Aliana had to go through this.

March 25th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks Destiney... I don't believe a word her GI dr says now. He never once said to try anything else but miralax and kept saying how it is completely harmless with NO side effects. I started her on benefiber for children last night and she's been pooping great today.. could have started with something natural like benefiber first! I also gave her stage 2 prunes and apples this morning. I still can't believe the prescribe something that is so close to antifreeze for toddlers!

March 25th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Are you going to talk to her doc about it or just take things into your own hands? I hope she does well on the natural softners

March 25th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I called her pedi and found out what else I can use instead of miralax and they told me any natural fiber supplement like benefiber which makes a children's version. Plus just giving her LOTS of fruit, especially prunes. So far so good! She held it in all morning and then around 3 pm she had a huge bm at daycare and then had a decent size bm for me this evening. So hoping this continues.

I also put a call out to her GI dr but haven't heard anything back and she doesn't have a follow up appt until May 6th.

March 25th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Pinkee~'s Avatar All girl momma!
Have you tried soymilk instead of cow's milk? Bobbi had this same issue and once we got her on soy EVERYTHING went away. It was so awesome! Well, it took time for her to get over the fear of pooping hurting because she had the issue for so long, but when she did she was finally able to poop like a normal kid. It was such a relief!
The Lesha likes this.

March 26th, 2010, 02:57 PM
EVY&EGYsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so sorry your poor girl had to go through this

I am anti-meds. LOL. What I mean is....I try to not put anything into my body that isn't natural as much as I can. I take advil but only when my headache has reached a point where I know it won't go away. Ellie has never gotten Tylenol before vax's. Or after them. We have used Tylenol only for some teething pain.

I was on a drug for my intestines years ago...and I became very anxious on it. The GI doc said it wasn't a side effect. Thanks to google I found out it was indeed a rare side effect. I went on anti-anxiety drugs to offset that...and then had side effects from that!! (Yeah...I couldn't have the big O anymore! not. cool. ) I went off everything and have been very careful since.

I am thankful we have the ability to research ourselves.

(((hugs)))

March 26th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Wendy - She is allergic to dairy and soy so she is on almond milk. She gets no dairy at all unless something is cooked with a VERY small amount of it. And only soy that is less than 2% of the ingredients. Right now the stage 2 prunes & apples and benefiber is working well.

The nurse for her GI dr said that she has never heard of neurological problems as a side effect... I told her to google it and there is a huge yahoo group showing all the documents cases and studies about miralax causing neurological symptoms.

November 29th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Laura how long did it take for the miralax to get out of your daughters system? and for the ticks to go away My son has had the same issues taking the miralax where now he is having seizures he has been off it a week but i'm thinking it might take some time to stop having them. can't believe docs tell you that med is safe.
November 30th, 2011, 07:33 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by laisydaisymama View Post
ugh. I hate when things are "typically safe" so dr's feel no need to tell you the possible side effects. do you know how many people don't know that tylenol and ibuprofen are bad for your liver?
I knew it was bad, but not THAT bad. I always got stomach aches when I took Tylenol or Advil. Now I dont take them. So it affects your liver??

November 30th, 2011, 12:27 PM
MomofMaddy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MomofMaddy
I read this and thought... "I started noticing that Aliana would make hand gestures.. she would be moving her fingers and her hand around. I just wrote it off as her finding her fingers and playing with them."

Aliana is really smart, no way she is just finding her fingers. Hahahaha.... then I saw 2010
April 14th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Hi, i wanted to comment on how dangerous i think miralax is, and what it did to me!! I am 47 years old and began taking miralax about 3 years ago and was told it was perfectly safe!! Not so, as far as i am concerned! I began to notice strange symptoms over time until i actually ended up in the emergency room thinking i was dying!! I began to notice constant urination through the day and i would drink 4 bottles of water in the night!! I first thought i had diabetes because i was so thirsty in the night! I also noticed my body limbs jerking and twitching and weight gain too. My symptoms got so severe withen 3 days before ending up in the E.R. On that horrible day, i was extreamy thirsty and urinated about 20 times i had a low grade fever and looked very sick!!! I also felt pain in which felt like my kidneys! The only thing that showed up was Hyponatremia and hypokalemia, which is low potassium and slightly low electrolytes!! He mentioned that i was constipated which i thought was strange since i had been taking the miralax onece per day! I even had an i.v. in my arm and was begging for water!! I almost vomited quite a few times but did not thank God!! I believe with all my heart that miralax was poisoning my body and i will have to say that my symptoms have greatly improved since stopping the miralax almost 2 weeks ago!!! I think this is another drug that long term use is going to cause many problems and people are seeing problems with miralax! I have lost about 5 lbs already and the neurological twitching and jerking of my arms legs and neck etc. are getting much better and are almost gone! the thirst has gone and the constant urination as well!! I dont have the pain in my kidneys either like i did and that whole experiance was terrifying!! The only thing the Drs. or practitioners will say is , well, stop taking the miralax! the E.R. practitioner said it was the miralax because nothing else showed up! It makes me so angry that the Drs. are not taking these symptoms serious but at some point you watch they will! I am not trying to scare anyone but i am letting people know what happen to me, and i never would want this to happen to a baby or a child or anyone ever!! I simply think that the FDA approves many drugs etc. that should never be approved because not enough research is done and all they are about is $$$$$$ !!! I am going to do more research on miralax and they are going to hear from me!! I will take natural remedies from the health food stores like CALM!! It is natural and a great product! Peace love and be well!!!
August 15th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Doctors are taught according to test books , Rockerfellar in charge of population control. Miralax killed my sister after pematrating her bowel.
She had Irritable bowel syndrome.
It cause Ascites( water build) up in the membranes of her intestine and stomach
October 27th, 2012, 07:38 PM
My daughter's doctor told me to give her miralax, and I honestly didn't have the heart to do it. My question to the doctor was, are the side effects going to be a problem with her. (I had mentioned something in passing and he just perscribed miralax, not even really looking further into it). He kind of just looked at me weird, as if I had 3 heads. Needless to say, I never ended up giving it to her.
January 1st, 2013, 12:13 AM
My son is 6 1/2 and has been on miralax for several years and all it has done is softened his stool. He is still scared to poop he says it hurts. Our dr told us that some kids have to take it their whole life. He still poops and pees in his pull up at night. He will only sit on the toilet when we tell him to. I know this is not his fault and I will not listen to a dr who says he might be on it his whole life. I plan on starting him on fiber and magnesium(natural calm kids calm) immediately. We have been giving him one cap of miralax a day. Do you think I can cut the miralax out completely immediately? And do you think this could have caused permanent damage to my son?
March 4th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Our 3 year old son was put on Miralax for 3 days for constipation..by the 2nd day of taking it his face started swelling..Dr's were saying that it looked like "allergies" due to weather change..I didn't buy it..I kept taking him everyday and calling the Dr about the swelling..he was then put on a steriod for 3 days to stop the swelling of the face then on the 3rd day it went to his stomach, legs, and feet (swelling) and he gained 4 lbs in 3 days!! He was tested at the ER and they said he had Nephrotic Syndrome (kidney disease) yet they found NO protein in his urine but are going by the swelling in face, legs, and feet..saying that the steriod he was on 3 days prior "probably" cleared out the protein in urine and that's why it's not showing..I suggested maybe THE MIRALAX but of course they are saying NO it's safe and that lots of people take it with no side effects...I told them "well EVERY person is DIFFERENT!!" Maybe this was a major side effect OR it triggered my son to end up getting nephrotic syndrome...he is now on steriods for 4 months!!!! Slowing tapering off I blame the MIRALAX for this!!!!! But of course the Dr's aren't going to admit they were wrong! I don't trust Dr's very much anymore...I started doing my own research and letting them know WHAT I READ and what I know about certain meds and illnesses.
March 6th, 2013, 05:38 AM
Did you know that humans and chimps are both mammals? Even though we're from the same "family", that doesn't make monkeys, humans or humans, monkeys. Even better: did you know that tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants and several other popular and healthy vegetables belong to the nightshade family, a family with many species of toxic plants? According to Wikipedia, "Many members of the Solanaceae [Nightshade] family are used by humans, and are important sources of food, spice and medicine. However, Solanaceae species are often rich in alkaloids whose toxicity to humans and animals ranges from mildly irritating to fatal in small quantities." Just because something is from the same "family" as a toxic substance doesn't make it dangerous. Polyethylene glycol (PEG) and monoethylene glycol (MEG) are not the same thing. Antifreeze (MEG) is toxic and easily gets into your bloodstream if you drink it. Miralax is nontoxic and less than a half of a percent of Miralax (PEG) enters the blood stream. One will kill you, the other will help you.
dylans_mommy and QuinnBaby like this.

Last edited by KateBN; March 6th, 2013 at 10:55 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search