Overly critical?

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2010, 06:41 AM
MommyToCooper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know in general, women tend to be really critical of themselves/their bodies. How are you all when it comes to your own self image?

I'm really struggling in a lot of ways right now. I'm still mentally battling the idea that I'm exercising several hours a week and not losing weight, but then I have to stop and remind myself that I'm training for something very specific and need to eat enough to fuel my body, blah, blah, blah.

I told myself a long time ago that if I could remain below 135 I would be happy, but I'd still really like to lose 10 more pounds.

I'm hoping that in May after the race I will continue to run, but also be able to focus more on strength training and losing a few more pounds.

Having this forum for support has been great, I think we all do a great job of encouraging others and I couldn't imagine not having you ladies around.

Enough of my rant/whine. Thanks for listening!
March 31st, 2010, 08:03 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Aww, Meagan, you are doing amazing! You are a GREAT weight for your height judging from the picture you posted in the other thread; sometimes we get so caught up in numbers that we lose sight of the fact that what's "ideal" for one woman is so subjective on your body type.

That being said, it's easier said than done, LOL! I have a very poor self image too. That bathing suit pic that everyone was saying how good I looked? I see it and pick out so much I don't like. But, I have always been extremely critical and struggled with self image issues. Before I had kids, I was this weight, and I thought myself "extremely fat" and disgusting...now I'm like, woo hoooooo.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
March 31st, 2010, 09:01 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
I am finding it impossible to see myself looking good post kids. I am misrable with my body, even though i am losing weight, im not noticing it.

Ive never struggled with body image before...even after Mac the weight fell right off and i felt back to normal. But this time is so much harder for me, i gained so much weight after charlie was born and was higher than i had ever been( not pregnant) SO losing that weight has been challenging for me.

i cant get ready to go anywhere nice and not feel horrible about myself. I dont like the way anything looks on me.

So yes...im right there with you. Your doing great though, and yes eating extra calories does make it impossible to lose weight. Ive been struggling with that too, since i still have to keep my calories up slightly since im bfing.
March 31st, 2010, 10:46 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsong View Post
Before I had kids, I was this weight, and I thought myself "extremely fat" and disgusting...now I'm like, woo hoooooo.
I can totally relate to that. Back in high school & college, I thought I was so fat compared to other girls and now, when I look at those pictures I'm like, Wow, I wish I looked like that now! It's crazy. Sometimes it's hard to appreciate what you have at any given moment. I know I drive my DH nuts when I pick apart my flaws in a photo. I'm learning to be better about that.

You're doing really great, Meagan. I still can't believe that old picture you posted of yourself, because you look nothing like that girl! You look amazing.

And I really do think the numbers screw us all up. Weight, sizes, etc. I try to focus on how I feel after I exercise or how well my clothes fit but I'm definitely guilty of hating the numbers on the scale too, even when I know I'm building muscle or things are fitting well, etc. It's hard.

March 31st, 2010, 05:22 PM
Mama Theo's Avatar Supermom Extrordinare
I think it's natural to be your harshest critic. But honestly, 90% of the time, you're the only one who sees the flaws. I've been focusing a lot on how I feel and how I look instead of my weight. It's been so liberating and motivating. Honestly, after my BL challenge is finished (tomorrow!) I'm stepping off the scale for a while. It's mentally exhausting to see the numbers fluctuate when they don't really give you the whole picture.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search