Help!

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2010, 08:24 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am doing SO bad lately. Over break I did do a lot of walking. I usually don't find enough time when I am working to do much of anything. But my biggest obstacle is that I am always wanting sweets. Chocolate really! I always want it, and I give in to it I used to have pretty good willpower- but not any more. The other thing is that I am in this vicious cycle of eating something, getting low blood sugar 2 hours later and then I eat something sugary so I can get rid of the shakey horrible feeling. I've tried eating more protein, but I am still getting shakey every 2 hours. Plus, I've been SUPER stressed lately. And what do I do when stressed? EAT.

Help! What do I need to eat? How can I stick to it? Anything I can do to cut my chocolate craving?

April 24th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Mama Theo's Avatar Supermom Extrordinare
I can't speak for a chocolate addiction, but I can speak for my morning coffee fix. I went cold turkey and it was sooo hard. It wasn't so much of a caffeine thing as a sugar thing, since the office coffee is essentially brown water. After about a week of avoiding, I didn't even want it anymore.

As far as snacking goes, I preselected all my snacks for the day, and made that the ONLY thing available to me. I didn't carry any cash or change so no trips to the vending machines. I'd have a banana or orange for a morning snack. At first it wasn't the "sweet" snack I wanted, but it did leave me satisfied. After about a week, I started craving a piece of fruit mid morning. For a mid afternoon snack, I choose baby carrots. They're a little sweet, but very crunchy. An excellent replacement to an afternoon bag of chips or popcorn. I find the crunch to be a great stress reliever, so carrots totally fit the bill. Oddly, I've hated raw carrots all my life, but since I've replaced my afternoon snack with them, I love it.
April 24th, 2010, 08:37 AM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
For safer sweets try these:

- freeze fat free yogurt cups. Let them thaw, just a tiny bit, and they ARE pretty close to ice cream.
- have a glass of chocolate milk - skim, of course!
- frozen grapes or strawberries

Here's an article with more info on managing chocolate cravings:

How to stop eating sweets and chocolate? >> Medical Questions, Weight Loss, Pregnancy, Drugs, Health Insurance
April 24th, 2010, 08:47 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks! And my big problem is I get HUNGRY and low blood sugar. I eat breakfast at about 5 am. Then by 7:30 I am hungry. Then again at 10 or 10:30. Lunch is at 12.

I also want to out out artificial sweeteners as much as possible. So I may have to add calories in some areas- like yogurt.

April 24th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Mama Theo's Avatar Supermom Extrordinare
Eating every 2-3 hours is totally normal and healthy. If you think about it, that's about how often our kiddos eat because they haven't been conditioned to eat 3 large meals a day.
May 2nd, 2010, 06:24 AM
Christa~ SuperMom to Cade
For the chocolate addiction, you literally have to cut it out COMPLETELY. I am totally serious, and you can do it. It will take 2-3 days, maybe 4, 100% free of chocolate and you'll stop craving it. Worked for me anyway. After awhile keep stuff in the house that you can eat without ingesting a zillion calories.... I keep chocolate fudgecicles in the freezer, they're only like 40-60 calories each. And I don't even eat them every day anymore, just when I HAVE to have chocolate.

Sounds like you're eating too much sweets. Your low blood sugar dropping is literally coming from your cycle of eating something sweet every time you get the shakes. I don't really understand why you're eating something sweet when you get the shakes.... that gives me the shakes worse. Are you eating anything after you get the attack & eat the sweet? I think you're supposed to eat sweets to get it under control, wait like 15 minutes for it to get into your system and then eat something substantial, a carb & protein. YOu can't just have a sugar attack, eat sweets and then expect to be okay.

Are you getting the shakes bc you're skipping meals? You need to be eating something every 2-3 hours, a healthy snack. I REALLY think that would help you to stop that cycle of getting the shakes & eating sweets.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search