our child is going to be nameless

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2010, 08:37 AM
~Devon~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Devon~
So, one of the fun parts of pregnancy has come along, and that's trying to decide on a name. It's ridiculous. Something that is supposed to be fun and exciting has now become a chore and is no longer fun. I'm afraid to bring up any of my name ideas to him because I know I'll hear that he doesn't like it. I asked him last night "Do you like Ashlyn?" he then asked me what's wrong with traditional names. Nothing is wrong with them, but I don't want another Jacob and having a million other people in school with that name. What's wrong with a more unique name? He really hates my #1 girls choice, and it really bothers me that he just won't even keep it on his mind and consider it.

This poor baby will be nameless. Baby K is what they'll call them. My poor child.
May 3rd, 2010, 09:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to felissa
You know Felissa is a really nice name!

But really, I am sure you will come up with something you both love. You should get a name book and start by taking turns with crossing out names you don't like, not telling each other which ones you love, just cross out the one you don't. Then you can see which you both like. Take turn with starting with letters that way it is equal. If you really can't find something you both like, I will name the baby.

May 3rd, 2010, 09:24 AM
noworries
I'm sorry Devon. That's the worst when a name is shot down right when you say it. DH and I have a rule that you can't say anything at first and you have to at least let it sit for a while before you decide if you like it or not. We still don't have a for sure name yet either. DH keeps changing his mind. It's driving me crazy.
May 3rd, 2010, 10:27 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
I'm sorry, that's frustrating! I had the same problem when we were choosing names for Aidan. We were down to about a week or two to go before we decided on a girls name. We had the same problem as you and we would shoot down each others names all the time. So we finally made a list in isolation, then gave it to each other and we were only allowed to cross off the ones that we absolutely did not like or wouldn't be able to live with. The ones that weren't crossed off made it to "discussion" phase. When we got down to 4 names, we each had to rank them from 1 - 4 and we went with the one that was highest combined score. Aidan was 1 on his list and 2 on mine so it won.

May 3rd, 2010, 10:28 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I am THERE with you, Devon! I have my fave and DH keeps shooting it down (but I keep bringing it up!) We have a couple names we agree on, but we just haven't talked about names in a while. I just don't feel like it. It has lost the fun I keep going back, and forth, though, and trying to find a way to get him to love my first name!! (or at least agree to use it if we are blessed with one more pregnancy and boy!)

Sigh.

It's no fun.

Maybe take a break for a bit, like I am. I go through MY list and talk to baby using those names and see what feels right. Sometimes, my #1 name just doesn't feel right on this one, and sometimes it does, so I keep playing with it... maybe it's a name for the youngest boy! Use your short list and talk to baby and see what feels right (boy and girl names, of course). Maybe you can narrow it down later.

I'm just going to ask Dh for his list. One thing that HAS to happen is to have it start with a K or hard C. I am adamant about that, and he knows I am not swaying... He gets the last name, I at least get the first letter without argument

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
May 3rd, 2010, 10:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I could not decide on a middle name for Peyton, we were filling out paperwork at the hospital and basically I told dh here is a list of names, tell me which one you like best...

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

~~Lisa~~(40) Mommy to Jenna Justine 20 years old and Peyton Keely Born December 28th,2007
May 3rd, 2010, 11:19 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
You still have lots of time! My friend is due in 3 weeks and they just shot down a name for the 3rd time - one they were ok with for a few months at that! They went to the zoo and it felt like they heard the name so many times they decided they didn't want it anymore (name was Evan).

I would keep making lists of favorites and exchanging them back and forth, to either cross off or add to it, eventually you guys can whittle down to 3 top names for each sex and go from there. It has to be hard with him knowing the gender and not being as openly receptive to names from both sexes.

May 3rd, 2010, 12:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Kyron is my only baby that had a name before he was born. Well, we had Donovan, but DH wasn't convinced completely yet.

In the end, I make a list of my absolute favorite top 20 names. We don't have much discussion about it. I hand him the list and say, "His name is on this list. Cross of the ones you don't like." The ones that are left, we'll talk about. We'd end up with 3 or 4 names.

That helped, because every name is one that I would be happy with. Of course, I have favorites, ones that I really, really wanted. But I was willing to loose them if it meant he picked one from my list.

I like Felissa's idea, too. (And I really like the name Felissa, btw. I tried to convince DH to let us use it if we had a girl)

My Ovulation Chart

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search