Frustrated!!!

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Mommy2Hunter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want to throw in the towel! Please send help (in the form of words of encouragment).

Most of you know through FB that DH and I are going against each other in our version of the biggest loser here at home. We are both very competitive natured and especially when it comes to beating each other at something..haha. We figured that this would be the best way for both of us to get motivated to lose weight. Our weekly prize is that the loser has to pay the winner $15 out of their own money. This is good motivation b/c DH is stingy and I'm saving for a camera.

Anyways, we have been at it for 2 weeks now. Last week he won by losing 7lbs and I lost 2.2 (he still beat me through percentages). This week he was in Denver so I knew I'd win and I did but I only lost 1.1lbs. *** am I doing wrong? I'm working out everyday (Shred) and trying to get out in the yard and doing some intensive yard work for 30-60 minutes. I am watching my fat and calories - eating everything low fat or fat free and keeping my calories at 1200 or slightly under. If I treat myself to anything it's Weight Watchers Ice cream bars and they are pretty low ( 110 cal and 4g of fat). I am making sure that I'm drinking 8 full cups of water and I'm staying up with my thyroid meds. Yesterday I even worked out twice! How the heck did I only lose 1.1Lbs? Is this normal for the first few weeks to lose so little? I'm happy with a 2lb loss per week even if I do lose to john every week. But 1 lbs with being even more careful than last week? Help!! and FTR I tried that eating clean crap and I'd really much prefer to be fat than do that..lol. And to top it off I'm not sure how much longer my knees, shins and ankles can handle the shred. I have to ice everything down before and after my work outs and some nights go soak them in a hot bath. I'm doing lots of stretching before and after it's just being so hard on my joints!

so please tell me it's all going to pay off and start to pick up or give me some suggestions b/c that was really disheartening this morning!

Last edited by Mommy2Hunter; May 28th, 2010 at 07:29 AM.
May 28th, 2010, 07:49 AM
MommyToCooper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You're doing great. The most you should lose per week is 2lbs, 1-2 is abosutely safe and reasonable, and from what I remember reading you're more likely to keep it off.

Are you eating enough calories? I know you're trying to lose weight, but you also have to fuel your body enough to get through the workouts and not let it think it's being depleted (so it tries to hang on to what you're trying to lose).

Just remember that you're doing this for the long term results, the short payoff/competition is great but not the overall objective.
May 28th, 2010, 09:33 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
to what Meagan said about eating enough calories. If you're working out daily on top of doing lots of yard work (which is like a whole second workout!), you may need more fuel. Especially protein, as I've learned from Christa.

Also, Celeste mentioned it on your FB but you're probably gaining more muscle with all the work you're doing too. You said earlier this week that you'd lost 3 inches around your belly, right? That's excellent! So, you may not be seeing progress in actual pounds, but you're definitely working off that fat and building up good muscle. Hang in there, you're doing GREAT!!!

May 28th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Mommy2Hunter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes I have lost inches. I'm eating tons of protein- eggs, chicken, etc and I'm eating what I'm supposed to calorie wise I thought. I'm suppose to keep it around 1200-1400 a day. I feel better knowing that 1-2lbs is what it's supposed to be. It just feels like I should have lost more than that with as careful as I have been. I need that instant gratification..lol. I was having a huge Debbie Downer moment this morning but am feeling better about it now. You guys are right, a loss is a loss and considering my thyroid is a big loser that I have to battle against too I should be happy with that pound. Thanks ladies!
May 28th, 2010, 12:22 PM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know what you mean about instant gratification. I think that's why trying to lose weight is so hard, especially for women. We don't see a huge drop in the numbers and that can be really difficult mentally. You are doing things right though!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search