Low Progesterone :(

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 15th, 2010, 06:34 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Got a call from the nurse. My progesterone is low so they are putting me on Prometrium to take nightly until 12 weeks. She said low progesterone weakens the uterine lining. I'm wondering if this may have been why nookie makes me bleed. I'm glad they caught it now.

June 15th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
I agree, it's a good early catch! I was on pretty high doses of progesterone through all of my IVF cycles and right through 1st tri of my pregnancy with Aidan. I was taking suppositories and other than being a little messy, is no big deal.

June 15th, 2010, 06:42 AM
LisaMarie!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My friend was on it for her last pregnancy.

<
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

June 15th, 2010, 06:52 AM
These seem to be capsules you swallow.

June 15th, 2010, 06:53 AM
~Devon~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Devon~
Glad they caught it early.
June 15th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Blessedx3
I was on progesterone suppositoies with both Hope and Charlie. It's good they caught it!!!!
June 15th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian View Post
I agree, it's a good early catch! I was on pretty high doses of progesterone through all of my IVF cycles and right through 1st tri of my pregnancy with Aidan. I was taking suppositories and other than being a little messy, is no big deal.
Gillian,
Is the form you take progesterone in, important in early pregnancy?
I read somewhere that taking it orally it is ineffective because it's metabolized through the liver first?
Should I question this?

June 15th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was on oral progesterone a long time ago. I seem to recall it being around $30-ish. They were WAY less expensive than the injections.

<3

<3
June 15th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
^^ I don't know a ton about it other than the closer you get it to the source of where you need it to go the better. It probably depends on just how low your levels are as well. It can't hurt to ask about it. What dose did they give you?

June 15th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was taking the shots during my pregnancy with Peyton. I dunno, to me the I preferred the shots because when I had my second miscarriage, they gave me suppositories and I had a miscarriage anyway. But we never saw the heartbeat with that pregnancy, so I think giving me the suppositories was useless.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

~~Lisa~~(40) Mommy to Jenna Justine 20 years old and Peyton Keely Born December 28th,2007
June 15th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian View Post
^^ I don't know a ton about it other than the closer you get it to the source of where you need it to go the better. It probably depends on just how low your levels are as well. It can't hurt to ask about it. What dose did they give you?
200 MG Prometrium Capsule

June 15th, 2010, 10:53 AM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
that's great that they caught it so early. i guess your little mishap while dtd was a blessing in disguise.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
June 15th, 2010, 11:01 AM
*Mommie2Timmy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Mommie2Timmy*
Sorry to Hear that, but super glad they caught it early!

As for it's effectiveness I Don't know they would be any less effective than the suppositories, as all medications need to get into the bloodstream to be effective, it's just a matter of if its absorbed via the vagina or gastrointestinal lining. Prometrium Official FDA information, side effects and uses.

The Pharmokinetics section explains it's path fairly well. From what I have read in my drug book and online, all methods Oral, IM Injection, and Vaginal suppository equally replace the hormone.

Laura ~ Tim ~ Timmy

June 15th, 2010, 02:11 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Cyndee...

I was on 400 mg of prometrium daily. Even though the directions may say to take it orally, those little be-be like capsules are the same ones that can be inserted vaginally, which is much more potent and effective. If taken orally, they can be broken down by the liver, which limits the effectiveness because of the metabolism. It also causes more side effects than if inserted vaginally.

I inserted vaginally, per my RE, even though the bottle directions said take orally. I had no ill side effects at all from it, and tapered it off from 10 weeks to 12 weeks of the first trimester. If you plan to insert vaginally, just wear a panty liner, as the little pink (or peach, don't know which color capsule you are taking... I think the peach are bigger than the little pink ones) capsules will get a little messy and leave some reminders of their presence in your undies.

Definitely a good catch and a quick fix! It certainly could have been cause for the bleeding, for sure.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
June 15th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Gwynne,
they look like this

Taking it vaginally, could it irritate the cervix and bleeding issue?

June 15th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Joliving4Jesus's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
I don't know much about this but wanted to say I am glad you caught it early and are getting something done about it, could totally explain the bleeding after dtd.

June 15th, 2010, 06:06 PM
*~*SnowHibiscus*~*'s Avatar I ♥ my girls!
I took them orally to start AF after Depo. Made me feel like I had been drugged. I had to go to bed because they ****** me up so bad. Apparently I had a weird reaction.

Anyway, I think you can take them either way.

June 15th, 2010, 07:28 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
The ones I took looked like that, and I had no irritation, bleeding or other sort of issues when I inserted them vaginally (be careful of your fingernails, but that's a different risk ) Mine looked just like that but they may have been a different color (I can't remember). I first had some little bb looking ones that were peachy color, and then when insurance changed and they covered the higher dose (200 mg) I was moved to these little egg-looking things and I inserted them as well. If it is prometrium, it is the same thing.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
June 15th, 2010, 08:53 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Glad they caught it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search