Emotional Eating *help needed*

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Who does it?

What do you do to avoid it?

I'm having a really hard time lately. I've been working out like a fiend, but if there's something yummy around (poppy seed cake, oatmeal cookies, coffee cake) I can't resist it. I hate to think where I'd be fitness-wise if I could just stop eating so much junk.

Ladies? Any words of wisdom? I don't know if Rachel lurks in here but maybe she could help. She certainly must be doing something right.

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]
July 14th, 2010, 05:34 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yep, emotional eater here.

I know you've mentioned that since you live with your parents, you don't have control over what type of food is in the house. So, it's obviously not a simple fact of don't keep that food around. Are there also healthier options in the house (fruit, yogurt)? When you get the urge to eat junk food, try to reach for something else instead. Or go do something that is incompatible with eating - like taking a walk, engaging in a hobby, or taking a bubble bath. Try to "fill yourself up" in other ways.

That said, I also believe in giving in to a craving (because it only gets worse if you totally deprive yourself) but maybe cut the portion in half. Or give yourself one day a week where you can give in and eat some junk. I used to do that before I got preggo and I was losing weight - every Saturday, I could indulge but I ate healthy the rest of the week. It worked, and I still lost 25 lbs then.

July 14th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Mama Theo's Avatar Supermom Extrordinare
I'm much better than I used to be, but I will say that my first few attempts at getting back in shape consisted of me dieting and not having energy to work out, or working out like crazy and eating everything in site. The reason I was so successful the last time was because I started eating the right things.

Try upping your protein intake because that really helps you stay satisfied. My diet when I was doing the biggest looser challenge consisted of a protein shake for breakfast (I'd blend a banana and skim milk into mine) at 7:30, a snack no later than 10:30 of either a banana or a quarter cup of almonds. Lunch consisted of salmon and maybe some veggies. Another snack no later than 3. Usually carrots or almonds (if I didn't have them earlier) and then a light dinner.

It really felt like I was eating constantly, and I think that was the biggest key to my success. Yeah, there were cookies and donuts in the office, but I just finished eating, lol!
July 15th, 2010, 08:51 PM
ethansmom0408's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am lurking Kelly lol! I was going to comment on fb the other day when you mentioned eating because you were bored. When I feel like I want something bad I don't deprive myself. I only eat a small portion of whatever it is. If it's a donut I eat a 1/4 of it. I love sweets do I know how hard it is to stay away from them. Also I buy the three musketeers minis which only have 35 calories each. If I'm craving something sweet I have 1 or 2 of them. And when I get bored I either exercise or work on a reorganization project around the house to keep me occupied. It works most of the time. I've lost 123 pounds and have maintained it for over a year so I know you can do it! Good luck and keep up the good work!

July 16th, 2010, 12:16 PM
happyhme44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am currently trying to tone up so I swim twice daily. I can't do anything else because of my injuries. If I could I would do other stuff like run. When I am trying to maintain I just swim once. Anyways my key to not eating a ton is a big breakfast of eggs and a meat. I swim after my food settles. Then while I am doing my school work or whatever else during the day I drink tons of ice cold water. (I hate drinking warm water after having to do that in the military a lot) I drink tons of it. I eat a high fiber organic cereal with skim milk for lunch. (Autumn Wheat by Kashi) I am not really a big lunch eater. I also never eat bread. Then I have a normal dinner. When my food settles I swim again. I drink water for the rest of the night. If I am starving at any point I will have fruit like strawberries and blueberries with some lowfat organic yogurt. (more fruit than yogurt) I honestly don't bother eating the other stuff because I am so full of water that I don't want to eat anything. Eventually I started to not want the crappy food anymore. It just looks gross to me because I know what will happen. I personally emotionally exercise. lol I have replaced exercise with emotional eating and it helps me a lot.

~Thank you Claire for my beautiful siggy!~

July 16th, 2010, 01:23 PM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
BTW, just wanted to add that I found eating lots of high fiber food kept me from getting TOO far off track. I just felt so freakin' FULL most of the time.
July 18th, 2010, 07:59 AM
KellersMom517's Avatar Emily-Mom to Keller Henry
Oh yeah - emotional eater here! That's how I gained 30 lbs after Keller was born - no shortage of emotions during that time! LOL I know that I have to get into the mind set of NOT dieting, of not depriving myself of EVERYTHING, and of not thinking that "If I don't eat this all right now, there might not be anymore later!"...I have done that my whole life. My mom is the same way, and she has finally shed about 60 lbs because she actually went to reiki therapy where they helped her let go of that obsession.

I am finding myself being much better about that during pregnancy actually. And I think it's because my mind has relaxed about losing weight since I obviously cant..and I know that if I don't have a scoop of ice cream today it's no biggie, I can have it when I really want it. Surprise surprise - I haven't gained a pound.

If it's truly just boredom eating, then distraction works - but for me that's not all it is, I have a brain that will start thinking of whatever is in the cupboard and then obsess about it until I eat some, so I need to retrain my brain! LOL GOOD LUCK!

Isla 10/27/10 and Keller 4/26/08
July 18th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm low thyroid, insulin resistant, and an emotional eater-very bad combinations. I find that I eat garbage when I'm bored, esp in the evenings if dh is n't home and the kids are in bed. I need to choose a bag of carrots ready peeled in the fridge, or get unbored. If I still have room after eating lots of carrots, then I'll try some fat, and the cravings will be gone. I don't eat when I'm stressed, just bored.

Lucky mother to five!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search