Weight gain..or lack thereof.

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2010, 04:45 AM
KellersMom517's Avatar Emily-Mom to Keller Henry
Soo - I am starting to get nervous about my lack of weight gain. By this point with Keller I had probably gained 12-15 lbs (I gained 25 overall)...and this time I have gained 3. I am still down 2 lbs from my pre-preg weight. I actually mentioned a while back that I was back up to my pre-pregnancy weight, but now I am down again over the past several weeks. I feel the baby kicking strong kicks, but sometimes I wonder if my uterus is really high enough above my belly button.

Do you think I should ask the midwife for an U/S at my next appt (2 weeks) to see if the baby is growing ok? I flip flop back and forth between being thrilled that I am not gaining a lot, to being really nervous about it!!

Isla 10/27/10 and Keller 4/26/08
July 14th, 2010, 05:58 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Honestly, if you're still feeling plenty of movement and your fundal height is growing consistently, it's probably fine. My weight gain was all over the place with both of my boys. Eric I actually lost like 5 or 10 pounds over the first 15 weeks, and then was up 40-45 pounds by the end of the pregnancy. Danny (who was perfectly healthy until 33 weeks, born at 36) I gained very slowly, only like 15 pounds total. Keep in mind, too, that girls are generally smaller than boys!

If you're worried about it, I'd ask your midwife if she's concerned - it can't hurt - but I wouldn't make a special appointment for it or anything!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
July 14th, 2010, 08:11 AM
DonovinsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would ask your dr to make sure your measuring right. But otherwise I wouldn't worry to much about it. I only gained 18lbs with Donovin and most of it was in the last few weeks.
July 14th, 2010, 08:52 AM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
Honestly, weight gain's not a HUGE indicator of how well a pgcy is going. I gained 30lbs with Jack and he only weighed THREE, lol! And my placenta was itty bitty too, so apparently all that pigging out I was doing was strictly to make my butt bigger, lol!

If it would give you peace of mind about the baby to see her on another U/S, go for it, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I knew a girl who started her pgcy about 30lbs overweight and in the end only gained something like 7lbs - and had a 9lb baby!

Also I think Melba only gained a smidgen when she was pg with Adeliya too, so you aren't alone!

PS: Am jealous! I am almost 9wks and I've gained THREE already! Argh!
July 14th, 2010, 09:20 AM
KellersMom517's Avatar Emily-Mom to Keller Henry
Ok - I guess I will just ask next time. My midwife is super relaxed about weight gain - I'm not even sure she actually checks the numbers! LOL. I just want to be aware, and I'll make sure to ask her how I'm measuring. Thanks ladies

Isla 10/27/10 and Keller 4/26/08
July 14th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Mommy2Hunter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If they haven't mentioned you are measuring off I probably wouldn't sweat it. I only gained 12 or 13lbs with Elijah and lost quite a bit at the start of it. However, I was a little fluffy to begin with so I didn't worry..LOL. But if it makes you sleep better at night it wouldn't hurt to ask!
July 14th, 2010, 02:44 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
i only gained 20lbs total with both my kids, and most of those weightgains were in the 3rd trimester.

If your measurements were on target at your 20 week u/s, im sure they still are, and if they were way off, im sure you would have heard about it by now from your OB.

Also, i carried much lower with Mackenzie then i did with Charlie. Charlie was way up high and i felt the kicks in my ribs, mackenzie was lower and i felt them in my pelvis.
July 14th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Nicandab's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am down a total of 10lbs prepregnancy (I'm only 4 weeks behind you), and I've asked my doctor.. She's totally not concerned. Wyatt is measuring right in the middle of normal for growth, and my uterus is about a week ahead.

Ask your midwife, even if the baby is measuring smallish but is consistently growing, there's no reason to be super-concerned.

GL!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search