Update on the kiddos

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2010, 07:18 PM
blueeyedbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi All

Have popped in occasionally to see how you're all doing and a few of you are on my facebook, but I thought it was time I did a general update LOL The girls are coming up to their 3rd birthday, man who would have thought! They're both tall for their age and showing very few signs of their early arrival.

We completed the Hannen Program (speech program) for Samara earlier this year as she was identified as a Late Talker. Since then we've gone from only 20 something words and 2 x 2 word phrases to actually starting to mimic, imitate words and a new repertoire of 30-40 words. We have said a couple of 3 word phrases and have quite a few 2 word ones. We're going back for another assessment next week to see if they're happy but its a massive improvement in my books. The clarity of her words is still a bit hit and miss so I guess we'll be on their books for a while until thats sorted. As for physical development the physio and OT said last week that she was actually advanced.

Kadee had a partial neck reconstruction in May in a bid to get rid of the trachy. Lots of things went wrong in the post op period and unfortunately she only lasted a day before going into respiratory distress and needing emergency surgery to put the trachy back. We were hoping a couple of weeks ago they'd try and take it out again but on closer look there is still some scaring in there that needs to be taken care of. So she's had 22 surgeries all up and 7 of those are in the last 6 months. I think I mentioned that she had her arm reconstructive surgery in January. That went really well and they're hoping that they won't have to do them as regularly as first thought (every 2 years). Kadee is talking around the trachy a little, and in the last two weeks has said 5 new words, so we now have a total of 7 - when she feels like it that is. Most of the time she believes she can't talk (habit) so she doesn't, if that makes sense. Its a good sign that she can talk around the trachy, means her airway is getting bigger, better and stronger but its not good enough for her to last permanently without the trachy.

Physio and OT said last week that she has finally caught up to her corrected age development, bar one or two things but they will come in time. We are now down to 6 monthly appointments so that they can keep an eye on her. They stated that they don't believe there are any cognitive issues which is great considering her brain bleed at birth.

Declan is doing fantastic. Too old for his age - wisdom and ability, wants to do everything the girls do and unfortunately he can Where is my baby????? He started crawling at 4 months old, cruising at 7 months and walking unaided at 8.5 months. He trots around after the girls with some speed now at 10 months. We had some issues with tongue thrust when we started solids but all that seems to be undercontrol now, he hates mush but looooooooooves finger food and grabbing what he can off the girls. Oh and he's still a constant drooler. The speechies told me that they think its because he is so social, happy, laughing and chatting all the time! He's still a chubba bubba but has finally slowed down in his weight since starting walking.

Kadee (752g) and Samara (769g) born 29/9/07 @ 25w
Declan (3.58kg) 9/9/09 @ 37.4w
July 20th, 2010, 07:24 PM
blueeyedbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
sorry guys! Shows how long its been since I posted! Reposted in the right area of the PR

Kadee (752g) and Samara (769g) born 29/9/07 @ 25w
Declan (3.58kg) 9/9/09 @ 37.4w
July 21st, 2010, 07:20 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
It's so good to see things are going well. I can't imagine all those surgeries on such a little girl. I bet she's just a trooper! It's amazing to see these pictures and remember the scare of such an early birth for them both They look amazing and I hope they both continue to thrive!

Declan sounds like a little charmer He's already on the go, go, go, which means you are too, (times 3!)

Thanks for the update. Praying all continues to go well.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 22nd, 2010, 08:49 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the update. I was thinking about you the other day. Glad everyone seems to be doing well. I can't believe how many surgeries she has had but it is amazing to see how much they have grown.

July 22nd, 2010, 10:16 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
It's really nice to hear from you Vicki. I'm sorry about the stressful and scary setbacks with Kadee, but I'm glad they are both doing well in other areas and I cannot believe how big they are and how much they have changed in the pics in your siggy. Declan sounds like an amazing kid too

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search