Names?

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2010, 09:53 AM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DH mentioned a couple of names the other day that I really like and I was curious about your opinions. These are both boy names. We decided on Alexis Paige for a girl when I was PG with Liam and we're still happy with that.

Aamin - Pronounced AH-min. I really love the sound of this name and I think it works great with Liam, but I've always said that I would hesitate to name a kid with a name that people would constantly struggle to pronounce. Is that too "unique" a name?

Emerson - I like this, but it's kind of long and I'm not sure what we'd use as a nickname. Em seems more like a girl's nickname to me.

If I had to pick today, I think I'm leaning towards Aamin, but I'm afraid of saddling a kid with a difficult name. For those of you with "unique" names, does it really bother you that much?

July 21st, 2010, 12:11 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Nope I survived and so will my kids. Kolbie isn't hard to pronounce, but people think she's a boy based on name alone. Kaija gets all sorts of things... I get called Eileen all the time, to the point where I actually don't correct people 90% of the time. Especially if I doubt I'll talk to them that often or see them ever again.

Alexis Paige is adorable! I love it!!
Emerson is trending towards being a girl name right now, so it might be strange on a boy. However, the only Emerson I've ever known is my mom's male cousin.
Aamin is very unique! However, I'd most likely pronounce it like Aaron with a long A sound at the beginning. Sort of like Eamon.

I wouldn't be afraid of "saddling" a kid with a unique name. I sort of see it as a learning opportunity. I had to learn at a very young age how to politely correct my elders and spell my name. I remember being in elementary school and having the lunch lady tell me I didn't know my name and that it must really be Marlene... I love my name, when someone shouts it from across a crowded room I know they're talking to me and not the other 75 Jennifers in the room!
July 21st, 2010, 01:03 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i would also pronounce Aamin like Eamon just by reading it, but i like it! i have a friend who's son's name is Amin pronounced Ah-meen and i like that too.
i think Alexis Paige is super cute! i could totally picture you with a Liam and Alexis, they sounds great together.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
July 21st, 2010, 04:20 PM
noworries
To me, Emerson is too girly sounding. I like the name but I just couldn't do it for a boy.
And honestly, it doesn't matter what you name your kid, it's going to get mispronounced. I thought Eva would be easy enough but she gets called Ava and Eh-va all the time instead of Ee-va.
July 23rd, 2010, 05:52 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
People just look at my name and then blush. They never even try to pronounce it, and usually I know they are talking about me, so I just jump right on in and pronounce it for them. No big deal. They'll get very used to it. I also, frequently, get called Dawn

As for Aamon, I agree, I was thinking hard A like Aaron... so that may need to be corrected a bit but once corrected for classes or work or whatever, it'll be a done deal

I love the name Alexis! It's one of my faves, with the nickname of Lexy, but DH said NOPE to that, citing her nn would be "sexy lexy" all through school...

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 23rd, 2010, 06:21 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Hmm, I personally find them both pretty feminine. I also think he would get a lot of people struggling with his name if it were Aamin. I'd imagine that people would assume it's a different spelling of "Amon" and maybe pronounce it that way. Either way, I think they would read it with a hard "A."

Good luck figuring it out! Names are hard.
July 24th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
With Aamin, I could see teasing about amen and prayers and stuff. Emerson is cool, and I don't think it's too long, or that it would need a nickname. I thought I'd shorten Donovan, because it's so long, but it turns out that it doesn't need to be.

Either way, I think they're good names, and in the end, you'll pick one you both love.
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, Jocelyn, & expecting #5

July 26th, 2010, 10:35 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I like Aamin! I considered Emerson as one of our girl names. As you can tell I like unique names for my kids. I am always correcting people's pronunciations so it's good that we primarily use nicknames. Lily gets "lily-ANN" instead of "lily-AH-nah," and Abri gets "AY-bri-uhl" instead of "ah-bree-ELLE."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search