Exercise - too much?

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2010, 01:37 PM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
I exercised pretty regularly before I became pregnant with this baby - I rode & trained horses, did Burlesquercise, Pilates, and hiked a fair bit (usually every other weekend, if not every one.)

Since I'm back to work 3 days a week in town, and tend to have some icky round ligament pain I changed up my workout to allow for that. Now I can get to the gym during my lunches at work, so I'm doing 30 minutes of brisk walking (at an incline) on the treadmill, followed by about 15 minutes of free weights for my arms, shoulders, and chest. I am not doing much ab work because just SNEEZING hurts my belly muscles and I'm not exactly wanting to hurt MORE!

I get sweaty but track my heart rate, and it's usually around 140-145. I stretch and warm up before I work out. I can maintain a conversation with a bit of effort during my workout, and I don't feel dizzy during or after. On days that I feel nauseous or generally rotten, I don't work out. I never run, just go at a brisk walk.

I guess I just want reassurance that I'm playing it safe. I did see an article that suggested that women who had prior blood pressure issues should NOT exercise in subsequent pregnancies. But I've made some major lifestyle changes since that pregnancy, and was exercising before this baby, so I feel like maintaining healthy habits is going to be better for my heart than to just up and quit exercising, kwim?

My BP has been great since Jack was born, and my doc this time around considers me low-risk - nobody has told me anything to indicate that I can't exercise.

Does this workout seem reasonable? I took a few different workouts from Fit Pregnancy magazine and kind of meshed them into one that appealed to me (also I HATE having flabby arms, lol!)

Thoughts?
August 9th, 2010, 05:27 PM
KellersMom517's Avatar Emily-Mom to Keller Henry
I wouldn't worry too much at this point - I think your HR is probably on the upper end of what it should be, but it's not outrageous. I would mention it to your Dr (unless you're afraid he'll tell you to slow down ) and see what they think. I think you are still early enough that you might as well exercise while you can stand it, that way at least you'll still be able to do moderate walking and stuff when you get further along. I dropped my exercise routine at about 13 weeks and now I get contractions and RLP just grocery shopping - don't know if that's related or not, but it sucks anyway.

Isla 10/27/10 and Keller 4/26/08
August 10th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Makes me tired just reading your workout routine. lol My understanding was that you could continue to workout as long as your dr didn't advise otherwise, and it sounds like you've made some good modifications to not overdo it. Personally, I can't keep myself hydrated as it is without working out, which would be my big concern with working out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search