breech update...

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2010, 03:52 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
So, for over a couple weeks, I've been doing just about everything on spinningbabies.com, plus other things my doc has me doing (including the terbulatine while on all 4's curbing my ribs to his head) and have seen the chiro 4x so far for the Webster Technique, and had the accupressure to the pinkie toe...

Nothing's worked.

So, we're off to the hospital tomorrow (37 weeks exactly) for an ECV. I've become very, very discouraged with this whole breech thing, so I am not walking into the ECV with very high hopes, but my OB seems to think I'm the prime candidate for it and thinks there's a 75% chance it will work...

I check in at 8:00 am, have the version at 9:00 am, and may be done by noon. No breakfast. I hope they let me eat after the version is done!

I'm really tired, but wanted you all to know where we are in this. So not happy right now...

Oh, I'm 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced... A whole lotta good that will do me if I have to have a c-sec because he's breech.

We'll see what happens tomorrow and go from there.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
August 18th, 2010, 04:02 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
awe man, good luck tomorrow Gwynne. I hope it works! I can understand how disappointed you are.

question about breech births - are they really that dangerous to birth vaginally? what are the main risks?

August 18th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I don't think they are THAT dangerous, but the OB association (I don't remember exactly all their letters) that oversees the OB profession in the US says NO BREECH DELIVERIES and so insurance and so forth also took advantage of that, so the hospital doesn't do breech deliveries unless you walk through their doors with the butt hanging out or it's the 2nd twin (first delivered normally).

I am SOOOO praying for a vaginal delivery (never imagined a c-sec with this body!) so this is almost like my last chance and prayer. I am not one of our amazing mamas who wants a natural delivery, so I do need the hossy for the epidural and doc and so forth, it's killing me.

I'm so disappointed right now.

August 18th, 2010, 04:15 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I'm sorry.

I'm sure you know this, but you can chose to not schedule a section and go in to labor naturally and if he is still breech, have the surgery then. I have heard of many babies flipping TO breech during labor, and breech babies do flip head down too.

For some comfort, Sam flipped to breech at 36 weeks, but flipped back at 37. I know they say that the closer to the DD the less chance they will flip because of size, but since he was over 10.5 lbs at birth I'm guessing he was close to 8 when he flipped around.
August 18th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to felissa
I have had two clients have versions that worked so you never know. I also second what Kristen said, if the baby is still breech wait to have the surgery until you go into labor, some labor is good for the babies lungs, plus you know that the baby is ready to come.

August 18th, 2010, 05:36 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
My sister had a version at 37 weeks and it worked in less than 30 seconds. I asked my midwife about versions because Abri was still breech at 32 weeks, and she said that second pregnancies have a better success rate than first pregnancies.

Cyndee- as for breech deliveries, some aren't super safe but they don't teach the safe breech deliveries in med school anymore so hardly any OB these days knows how to do them.
August 18th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Sorry Gwynne - I really hope the version works out for you. I'll be thinking of you and sending lots of positive baby flipping vibes tomorrow. Good luck and KUP!

August 18th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I'm so sorry! I hope baby flips for you. But don't be too discouraged. If I could go back to my breech baby, I'd wait until I went into labor and do an ultrasound to make sure he was still breech before proceeding. Agreeing to a c/s at 38 weeks was a mistake (to me).

By the way, ACOG (American College of Obstetrics and Gynecologists) says, " If the baby is in a breech position as the time of delivery nears, cesarean birth may be best." "Vaginal birth can be more difficult when a baby is breech." "Finally...Most breech babies are born healthy. If your baby is still in the breech position as your due date draws near, talk with your doctor. He or she will discuss the risks so that together you can plan the delivery that is best for you."

So, they don't actually say "No breech deliveries".

Regardless, I hope you keep up doing spinningbabies, and seeing your chiro if the version doesn't work. And, I hope baby flips so you don't have to worry about it anymore.

August 19th, 2010, 12:17 PM
It worked!!

OB said I was one of the absolute easiest versions she's ever done. Took all of 5 minutes and I'm a bit sore (feel bruised) and tired, but for the most part, it all went very well. They monitored me for 2 hours after just to be sure and it looks like everything's good with us both. I have to keep close eye on kick counts "just in case" but I'm not real worried.

Thanks for the note, Wendy. I was told they were the ones who pretty much stopped the common breech vag deliveries in the hospitals, but for whatever reason, it seems pretty discouraged. Either way, I hope I NEVER have to face that option!

So, now I can walk upright again and do some squats and make sure he's locked into place. When they verified his position via u/s, my OB thinks his head just naturally plopped into my pelvis at the end of that version, so that would be a double blessing because there would be less chance of him re-flipping.

Anyway, thanks for the positive thoughts, gals!! It worked

August 19th, 2010, 12:30 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
hooray!!! i'm so happy for you both.
August 19th, 2010, 12:31 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Yay that is great news!

August 19th, 2010, 12:42 PM
*~*SnowHibiscus*~*'s Avatar I ♥ my girls!
awesome!!

August 19th, 2010, 10:40 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yay!

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
August 20th, 2010, 05:07 AM
noworries
YAY!!
August 20th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
That's fantastic Gwynne! I am so excited for you! Believe, I know the relief that comes from having your baby not breech!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search