BFing mommies RE: Breast Pumps

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2010, 01:35 PM
BrittM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm debating on whether or not I should buy a breast pump. Here's my situation, please tell me what you think

Since I live in Canada I get one year Mat Leave (YAY). So I have lots and lots of time to spend on bfing. I do have parents that are very involved in the kids lives. They are always asking us to take Jake so we can have a date night, get groceries etc. I know my mom will offer every week/couple weeks to watch the kids for a few hours so we can have some time alone. I want to be able to take advantage of this. I have no issues with NIP so won't have to worry about pumping bottles for that reason. I guess the only time it would be necessary is when I'm away from baby which won't be that often. I don't really think I'll need a pump and I would hate to spend that kind of money on something I hardly use. They're like $400. I could rent one from the hospital if I really wanted one and it would probably be cheaper for the amount I would use it.

What do you all think? Did you buy a pump? Was it worth it? I do have a medela manual pump but that thing takes forever and I never felt like it emptied me. Any input would be greatly appreciated

September 6th, 2010, 02:35 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think in your situation what about getting a cheaper electric pump. Know there is a huge price range on pumps out there. Sounds like you might have use for one but since you wouldn't be using it very often I wouldn't spend the $ on a better model. You won't need the motor to last for everyday long term use.

September 6th, 2010, 04:14 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
My sister got a Medela single electric pump because it was a lot cheaper and she wasn't needing it all the time. If you still wanted to go double, I'd recommend the Ameda Purely Yours double electric pump. It's like half the cost of the Medela Pump in Style. I used the Ameda when I went back to work with Lily. It did the job no problem.
September 6th, 2010, 04:51 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I would say wait. You don't know what type of nurser you'll have. Walter had difficulty nursing and I exclusively pumped for a week or so when he was little and gave him bottles. Without a pump, I probably would have given up. But we didn't get the pump until we were at that point.

With Sam, I haven't pumped at all. It's still packed up. I have a hand pump that I've used for oversupply in the beginning. But that's it. Sam's never had a bottle. I have my mom who has offered to watch Sam, but I find that if he is still too little to have an eating schedule where I can just plan outings away from him, he's too little to be left alone for that long.
September 6th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I think I'm just going to wait until baby gets here. I may never need one or I might want to splurge on a good one. I'll definitely look into the ameda. Thanks!!

September 12th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
I second the Ameda Purely Yours. I got it free through the state insurance. Something I am very grateful for. I never used a pump much with the boys (not that I made it that far along)

With Bailey staying in the hospital after I was discharged, I knew I needed a good one and that is what the insurance company gave me a script for. I have not used it since I stopped working in March.

If I miss a feeding, or Bailey skips a feeding, I use either my Medela manual pump or my Ameda manual pump, both which were given to me at the hospital.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
September 12th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
I say wait and see as well. I spent money on a single electric pump that I really never used because I ended up EP'ing and renting a hospital grade pump. If you have a really good nurser and you're only going to be pumping for the occasional bottle, then a cheaper electric pump will be more than enough. If you end up needing to pump more than originally planned, then you can look in going the rental route.

September 13th, 2010, 06:05 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
I used a manual pump all the time, it worked great. It was only like 40$ and I used it a few times a day, even at work.

September 13th, 2010, 07:42 AM
That's what I used last time too Cyndee. It did the trick for what I needed it to do. I didn't BF as long as I wanted to last time due to a whole bunch of disgestive issues Jake had. Turned out he did better on BM and I had to relactate. It was a total nightmare and I just want to make sure I have everything I need to make BF work this time. I also had really bad PPD and that made it hard to BF. I constantly felt like I needed a break from baby. Being a new mom was extremely overwhelming for me. We lost Chris' mom 2 months before Jake was born and our dog died a week after his mom. It was just sooo much all at once. BFing made me feel so tied down and I just wasn't used to that feeling. Anyway, sorry for the novel. It is just SOOOOO important to me that I make BFing work this time! It means the world to me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search