Weird?

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 7th, 2010, 11:47 AM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For this baby, DH and I have been talking about just hosting our own, super casual, shower. Last time, it was like pulling teeth to get someone to do it (yes, I literally had to ask my mom and bff to host a shower for me). On top of that, we really have everything we need. If this is a boy, all we really need is some CD's. If it's a girl, all I need to add to the list is some clothes. I just want more of a laid back, bbq/potluck event, not something all about games and gifts.

Is that weird? Would you be put off by getting invited to a party like that?

September 7th, 2010, 11:58 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
What about having a 'meet the baby' party a few weeks after he is born. That way bringing gifts is option rather than as usually required at a shower. Most people love buying baby gifts, especially when they get to see the baby too.

This also controls the flow of visitors after baby is born, making it easier for you to see everyone throughout one day rather than at sporadic times the first few months.

September 7th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I've considered this, but I love planning parties and I'm afraid I won't have the energy to do it the way I'd want to after the new baby is here, KWIM? That is certainly under consideration though.

September 7th, 2010, 12:39 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
I never had a baby shower before I had maddie. My mom threw me one when I went to visit in Florida so the whole family could meet the baby - she was almost 3 months old then. Everyone brought gifts. It was pretty easy and lots of fun. No one can help you?

September 7th, 2010, 12:50 PM
My friends and SIL are the types that can't organize or plan anything to save their lives. I've tried too many times in the past to plan things with them and won't ever do it again. My mom is kind of weird. She'd probably help a bit, but she's more of the type to step back and let someone else do the work.

September 7th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
I dunno, I kinda think it's a bit odd, to be honest. If your intention isn't to collect gifts and you just want a get together, then throw a BBQ or party or whatever just to gather your friends together, but I wouldn't call it or organize it as a shower. If you do want a baby specific party, then I kinda like the idea of a "come meet the baby" party after he/she is born.

September 7th, 2010, 12:56 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i don't think it's that weird. i would definitely go to a party like that.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
September 7th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I don't know that I would even call it a shower "officially", but part of the reason that I want to is to keep anybody else from thinking they need to throw me one. One friend casually mentioned possibly throwing one. Honestly, I don't want her to. She's the same person who offered to do the food for my wedding reception and backed out less than a week before the event. It stresses me out to rely on people who aren't reliable. Too many of the people in my life who mean well, aren't reliable. I'd rather just do it myself.

September 7th, 2010, 01:31 PM
BrittM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think I would call it a baby shower. Some ppl are weird about having a shower for second babies. I would be all about a BBQ to get everyone together though. Sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe it could have something to do with celebrating Liam's last few months as an only child? Either way, if you want to plan a gathering I say do it!

September 7th, 2010, 06:48 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
you could let your friend host the shower for you, since she already offered, but tell her that you don't feel comfortable for her having to pay for everything, ask her if you could help her organize and pay for everything. that way she can't back out, and it doesn't look like you are throwing yourself a shower.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
September 7th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
^^This is a really good idea!

September 7th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I just don't trust her to come through. One reason is that we work together and work opposite shifts. She would have to manage to get a day off work and obviously I wouldn't be able to cover it. The other reason is that (although she means well) she's flaky. It would be more stressful for me to deal with her than to just do it alone. I know that's probably really selfish and rude of me, but it's true.

September 7th, 2010, 08:26 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Some friends of our's had a Diaper Party that they hosted themselves. They knew they were having a second boy and all they needed was diapers. We planned on going but they all ended up with the flu the weekend of the party! I don't think it's a horrible idea, but I like the idea of a Meet the Baby event 6-8 weeks after baby is born personally. We actually meant to do that and never did. Ah well!
September 7th, 2010, 08:46 PM
LisaMarie!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My cousin had a Welcome home party for their baby girl. It was about 3 months after she was born. She lost 2 babies before this one and did not want to get excited about the pregnancy and did not tell anyone until she was almost due. When she sent the invites out she said she it wasn't not a baby shower, just a reason for family and friends to get together. Most people still bought stuff for their girl but she didn't not open the gifts or had anything that resemble a baby shower. It was a blast.

<
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

September 8th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all. I would totally go. However, in your situation, I think doing it after the baby is born would be better for you. If it's going to be more of a casual BBQ type thing, then all the planning can be done before the birth. Heck, do it as a potluck! Your husband can man the BBQ grill, and you just have to make sure the house is cleaned. And, for that matter, I think your husbands gift to you should be a housekeeper for the day! LOL

September 8th, 2010, 10:04 AM
LisaMarie!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Potluck like Wendy said it a great idea. DH does the BBQ and friends and family will bring sides.

THat is how a group of friend we just started to hang around does. A few guys will BBQ and everyone else brings a side dish. We have tons of food and a great time.

<
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search