names

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2010, 10:00 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
so what do you think of these names?

Vincent Bradley
Harrison Bradley
Vincent Gregory
Harrison Gregory

the 2 first names are the only names that i am feeling a connection with and DH actually likes them too.
the middle names are after family members...Bradley was DH's grandmother's maiden name and she just passed away last year. Gregory is DH's brother.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
September 25th, 2010, 10:02 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I Harrison Bradley
September 26th, 2010, 07:11 AM
BrittM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love Vincent Bradley!!!

September 26th, 2010, 08:41 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Harrison Gregory!!!
My friend has a boy named Harrison and I love it. I'm not a fan of Harry, but they've managed to have everyone only call him Harrison.
September 26th, 2010, 08:49 AM
well he will not be called Harry or Vinny if we decide to name him either of those names. Steven likes Harrison as a middle name, but i would like the middle name to be after someone in our family.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
September 26th, 2010, 09:51 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I love Harrison Bradley! We thought of Bradley as a mn with Kellen because it's also DH's grandmother's maiden name... I think it's fairly easy to assure these two names aren't shortened to Harry or Vinny, they are the kind of names that really stand out on their own and don't need to be shortened.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
September 26th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I like Harrison Bradley

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

~~Lisa~~(40) Mommy to Jenna Justine 20 years old and Peyton Keely Born December 28th,2007
September 26th, 2010, 10:39 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I love Harrison and like either middle name choices
September 26th, 2010, 02:42 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
I dislike Harrison. While it's easy for parents to control what family and friends call their kids, by school age it's Harry and every thing that rhymes with it.

I like Vincent with either middle name if those are the only choices.

Vincent Bradley is my fav over the ones listed.

September 26th, 2010, 04:27 PM
^^ I disagree. My brother is Nathan and he's managed to stay away from Nate most of his life, and he's 32.
September 26th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I have a friend Ricardo, everyone called him Ricky until he was 21, he pitched a fit so bad one night and refused to acknowledge any friends unless they called him Ricardo. I sometimes slip in reference and get corrected by other friends, they all say 'don't say that around him". That crap is what I remember most about him. Seriously, I think bigger things should define us than nicknames we hate. If one day I decided I hated Cindy and wanted Cynthia, so be it, but I think if you choose a name and it's subordinates you can live with than it's a good one. No matter what the name kids will make fun of it at one point in life.

September 26th, 2010, 05:00 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like Harrison Bradley best.

I have a tendency to associate names with things. It's weird, but whatever. Anyway Vincent Bradley makes me think of Milton Bradley the game maker.

September 26th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
I disagree with having an issue keeping your name it's full length. Although my immediate family called me Jill as a pet name at home as a child, I was never called that in school or outside our house. Wasn't really a problem. I occasionally still get somebody asking if I go by Jill and I just politely say I don't like it and that's the end of it.

I think I like Harrison Bradley the best on your list!

September 26th, 2010, 08:09 PM
^i disagree too. i am Jacqueline or Jac. No one calls me Jackie because that's not me, if they do call me that, i correct them. i hate the name Jackie and will never let anyone call me that. I had a friend named Harrison in high school and no one ever called him Harry.
and i have 2 friends named Kathryn/Catherine and they don't go by Katie or Kathy.

i don't think you have to submit to nicknames if you don't care for them.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
September 26th, 2010, 08:19 PM
P*to*the*ORTIA's Avatar Portia
Send a message via ICQ to P*to*the*ORTIA
I like Vincent Bradley.

September 27th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
I love Vincent Bradley.

I love the name Vincent. It seems so italian, classy, and time-less. Like Collin and Thomas

I don't like Harrison, it reminds me of this really snobby girl from 6th and 8th grade

As for shortening names. No one has ever called me Nikki, outside of one older lady. And no one calls Thomas anything other than Thomas. Wait, once my MIL called him Tommy. Tom simply asked her what she calls him. "I only ever call you Thomas" she replied. He said Exactly. Since then no one ever shortened it.

I think if you introduce your self as the whole name you will be called it. However, if you say, "I'm Paul, but everyone calls me P.J." (My brother's case) most people will call you by what you say.

I have had a problem with people adding an S to Collin, calling him Collins. My FIL will not understand there is no S and every african american I have met calls him Collins.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
September 27th, 2010, 06:48 AM
LisaMarie!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaDucks View Post

I think if you introduce your self as the whole name you will be called it. However, if you say, "I'm Paul, but everyone calls me P.J." (My brother's case) most people will call you by what you say.

I have had a problem with people adding an S to Collin, calling him Collins. My FIL will not understand there is no S and every african american I have met calls him Collins.
This is what I believe too. If they introduce themselves as that then they will be called the full name however once he starts allowing people to shorten it then everyone will want to shorten the name. There is no way to shorten my boys names or our names.. well they could I guess but we don't introduce them like that to anyone.

As for the names... They are just not my style but if I pick one it would be one of these 2..

Vincent Bradley
Harrison Bradley

<
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

September 27th, 2010, 06:51 AM
I'm not trying to argue, but I really don't think that every name will get made fun of either. I have actually never heard of any child getting made fun of for their name, to date. The closest I have experienced is people asking me if my dad owned the Staples store because my maiden name is Staples.

If anything, teachers might be the ones creating nick names in schools. But I don't know that kids automatically start calling other kids whatever they want. Maybe that's been your experience, and if so that's good to point out.

Also wanted to add that people have tried to call me Kris and Krissy, which I absolutely hate, but in general most people have always called me by my full name. I verbalized that I didn't like it, so to date the only people who call me Kris are my childhood best friend (who calls me Kris because we grew up in Brasil and that's what Brazilians called me), and my grandparents (who will never change).
September 27th, 2010, 07:46 AM
(Try having the last name 'ashlock', oye. When my BIL was in the army in German, they thought his name sounded too much like the german word for ******* "arschloch" and they sent him to italy!)

Possibilities of attritions aside, both names are fine.

September 27th, 2010, 07:50 AM
noworries
I got teased for my last name constantly growing up. But, it usually wasn't anything too bad.

I like both Harrison and Vincent. And I like Bradley for the middle name.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search