Pissed!

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Bermuda Girl's Avatar Andrea Jack & Olive's mom
I had my first appointment with my regular Dr. to get referred to a pre-natal Clinic or OB. We live in a small town that has a hospital, so I thought this would be easy. But, he tells me because I had an elective c-section with Jack, I am considered high-risk (seriously) and that I will have to be referred to a hospital in the city, 45 minutes away. I am pissed!
September 30th, 2010, 03:49 PM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
No WAY!

Low Risk took me even with all the problems I had with Jack! They only agreed to take me BECAUSE I said I'd do an elective c-sec with them! I can't believe that!

Did you try calling Low Risk to see if there's a doc there who will take you on?
September 30th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Bermuda Girl's Avatar Andrea Jack & Olive's mom
That is at the HR hospital? Did your Dr. refer you to Low Risk?
September 30th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Yes and yes! Dr. Jensen referred me and Dr. Smillie is doing my c-sec right there at HR Hospital.
September 30th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Bummer! I hope you can work it out locally!
October 2nd, 2010, 09:26 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Honeslty if that doctor is so willing to pawn you off already, i wouldnt be comfortable with them long term.

I might go searching for a new doctor( even out of town) A csection does not make you high risk. Technically i had an elective csection ( kenzie was breech, i refused a version- opted for a csection instead)

Have you ever considered a vbac? There is plenty of time between Jacks birth and the new baby. I had a vbac with Charlie and it was amazing, i had a very supportive dr ( i switched my dr at 30 weeks actually and im so glad i did!) I had almost no downtime, ect.
Just a thought. And even with me being a vbac hopeful, i was never considered high risk by my doctor- higher risk- yes, but not high risk.
October 5th, 2010, 06:05 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's odd. Even those trying for a VBAC aren't considered high-risk, I don't think.... higher, yes, but not high-risk can't-be-seen. I just found this, the recommendations for a VBAC from the ACOG:
VBAC Facts ACOG issues less restrictive VBAC guidelines
I don't know if you are planning a VBAC or not, but logic would dictate that if you aren't then it's even less of an issue since most of the worry revolves around rupture *in labor*.

Can you get another referral from someone else? Do you *need* a referral to an OB? Can you just make an appointment with one?

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
October 5th, 2010, 08:21 AM
You guys wouldn't BELIEVE how ridiculous the health system here is in terms of VBAC. If you want a VBAC anywhere in our province you are AUTOMATICALLY considered high risk and you HAVE to see a high risk OB - which there are none of in our town, only in the city - and that's it.

We don't even get to see an OB regularly here, we have to go to these Low Risk Clinics that have 10 or 12 doctors. Your regular doc refers you and every time you go, you do your own weight, your own pee check, and your own check in. The doctor you see for your appt is just whoever is on that day.

Apparently there's not enough docs with OB training to allow for all the preggo women here, so we just get lumped together. It's like a freakin' cattle call.

I considered a VBAC but when they told me I'd have to be high risk and I'd HAVE to go to the city, meaning that every appt would take 2 hours of driving each way and another hour between waiting for the doctor and my actual appointment... I had to go elective c-sec. I can't keep missing work just to drive that long for one tiny checkup!

It's ridiculous, tbh.
October 5th, 2010, 01:22 PM
TallyGirl22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow. That is crazy.

Happy 5th Birthday to my princess Elizabeth!

[/CENTER]
October 5th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillylicious View Post
You guys wouldn't BELIEVE how ridiculous the health system here is in terms of VBAC. If you want a VBAC anywhere in our province you are AUTOMATICALLY considered high risk and you HAVE to see a high risk OB - which there are none of in our town, only in the city - and that's it.

We don't even get to see an OB regularly here, we have to go to these Low Risk Clinics that have 10 or 12 doctors. Your regular doc refers you and every time you go, you do your own weight, your own pee check, and your own check in. The doctor you see for your appt is just whoever is on that day.

Apparently there's not enough docs with OB training to allow for all the preggo women here, so we just get lumped together. It's like a freakin' cattle call.

I considered a VBAC but when they told me I'd have to be high risk and I'd HAVE to go to the city, meaning that every appt would take 2 hours of driving each way and another hour between waiting for the doctor and my actual appointment... I had to go elective c-sec. I can't keep missing work just to drive that long for one tiny checkup!

It's ridiculous, tbh.
Oh wow. That is so sad. I had no idea that it was that bad! They really need to get on the bandwagon with VBACs.

~*~ My Blog ~*~
October 5th, 2010, 03:18 PM
My doc told me it's a trend - ten years ago, everybody was pro-VBAC. Then opinions change, and suddenly it's down with VBACs.

In his words, I just timed my pregnancies wrong, lol.

Even more bizarre: In the past 2 years, me and my 3 sisters in law have all had babies. Guess how many c-sections? Four. ALL FOUR OF US. Apparently Canadians are a little too hack happy when it comes to L&D.
October 5th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Wow. It makes me so sad.

~*~ My Blog ~*~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search