The 4AM wakeup call

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2010, 08:31 AM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
I have a major sleep problem and I NEED YOUR HELP, mommies!!

Jack has historically been a GREAT sleeper. He slept through the night at 10 weeks and has carried on that way since then, with the exception of a few colds or fevers.

The past 5 mornings, between 3:30AM and 4:00AM, he wakes up crying. Fake crying. No tears, just the kind of crying that telling him no gets you. The first time he was in the middle of a cold, so I figured he woke up with a sore throat, or something. I gave him a little water and a quick snuggle on the couch, and then went back to bed.

It's carried on. No sore throat. Now either me or DH is getting out of bed, going into his room, and reminding him that it's still nighttime and time to sleep. We tell him that it's not time to get up and that we will come get him in the morning. Then he goes back to sleep.

I tried moving the night light, thinking it was too bright, and then took it out completely. I check his diapers, thinking he's leaked through (nope.) I check for a fever, illness, SOMETHING - and he's fine. He goes to bed with a full tummy and seems fine from 8pm (bedtime) until 4am... then goes back to sleep until 6am.

This is ridiculous. His room is right beside ours, so if he's in there wailing, we'll hear it. I'm having a hard enough time sleeping as it is with this pregnancy and I'm REALLY not liking this 4am wakeup, then a 2 hour nap till 6am.

He naps once a day after lunch, from about 12:30 - 1:00pm to about 3:00pm (he follows this at the dayhome as well, and until this past week, it was perfect.) He baths at about 7pm, snuggles from 7:30 to 7:45, and then brushes his teeth and goes to bed at 8pm.

Anyone been through this? Any tips for what I should try next? Waking him from his naps makes him into a firebreathing monster and I'm not convinced he doesn't still need to nap in the daytime.

Help.
October 20th, 2010, 08:48 AM
JaimeJenn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you don't go in there to him, will he go back to sleep?
October 20th, 2010, 08:53 AM
KellersMom517's Avatar Emily-Mom to Keller Henry
I agree that I wouldn't assume that he doesn't still need a nap - it sounds more like a habit at this point. Like his sleep cycle ends at 4 and he wakes up, and since he got attention, then that is the habit now. Can you gradually start doing less and less each night? How much attention do you give him now? aybe just try opening the door and saying your "still night time" phrase, without actually going in. Then maybe you can just say it from the hall so he doesn't even see you? I'm not sure - Keller has had a few of these, but after he realized I'm not letting him get up he kinda gave up after a few days.

I'd probably be yelling "GO BACK TO SLEEP" from my own bed! LOL

Isla 10/27/10 and Keller 4/26/08
October 20th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Julka
I agree, it sounds like a habit. I also think it`s a phase at the same time because I know from experience, Natasha went through many of such phases. With Natasha, we initially just went in there, cuddled her, offered water, night-light/no night-light, etc etc. A few of the phases, she got over them on her own. But we did CIO at least twice with her.

Does he just whine/cry, or does he get out of the bed and leave the room?
October 20th, 2010, 09:08 AM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
He just lies there and whines.

I think you're right - maybe just peeking a head in the door to remind him that it's bed time will work. And if not, then CIO it is.

Argh.

Last edited by jillylicious; October 20th, 2010 at 09:11 AM.
October 20th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Nicandab's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We *just* went through this with Brianna. She slept through the night last time and that was the 2nd night.

We started putting her to bed a 1/2 hour later and letting her have a snack just before bath time.

She goes to bed at 8:30, we give her a snack at 7:30ish, and bath is at 8. This seems to have worked. The change in the seasons has messed with her a little bit, I think.

Good luck! CIO doesn't work for us because she gets out of bed, comes to the door of her room and shouts, 'I'm AAAWAAAKEEE!' until you go make her get back in bed.

October 20th, 2010, 10:45 AM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
My Jack does that too! He's been doing it for a while (or it seems as such) now. We go in there and tell him to go back to sleep. But I think for now (because like you, we've discovered nothing is the matter and it's all fake crying) we're just going to let him cry. He wakes up more times then Ben!

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

October 20th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my two big guys have done that, I just knock out their naps and put them to bed at 6pm instead-really tired kids tend to sleep at night--4am is not a fun habit

Lucky mother to five!

October 20th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Definitely sounds like its just a phase. I agree with lessening the attention you are giving... I like the idea of just staying at the door and letting him know its bedtime, I hope that works!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
October 20th, 2010, 12:43 PM
bessie17's Avatar mommy2caden&adisyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellersMom517 View Post
I'd probably be yelling "GO BACK TO SLEEP" from my own bed! LOL
That would be me too! LOL!

It sounds like a phase. We went through this with Caden, but he would NOT go back to sleep. He would wake multiple times throughout the night. I think he was scared though. His bedroom was downstairs and ours was upstairs. I imagine well go through some sort of struggle when we move and getting him to sleep on his own again (hes been sleeping in bed with me since April).

As for Jack lessen the attention and pray he grows out of it and Im sure he will

Colleen, loving mother to Caden (4yrs; 04-17-2008) and Adisyn (2yr; 01-14-2010)
October 20th, 2010, 05:09 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
i have no advice becuase i liteally could have wrote you post word for word, except that Mac DOES NOT nap anymore.

She has been doing this everyday for weeks. I cant let her CIO becuase she tends to wake Charlie up when she does this.
So i find myself stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I know going in to her is only feeding her habit, but not going in will result in two babies awake at 5am.

The worst of it, Charlie just started STTN this week ( even if it is only a fluke, its still happening) So im afriad her bad habit is going to rub off on him and get him waking at awful times again.
October 20th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Mommy2Hunter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are there too, except ours is at bedtime instead of the middle of the night. Last night he screamed for 2 hours. DH finally went in and turned his light on and out he went without another peep. We figured he was just scared of the dark so I bought some low watt bulbs to put in his lamp today so we could just leave it on. I put him to bed with the light on tonight thinking it was going to be wonderful and without a fight and here we are almost an hour later and he's still crying. Hunter went through this around 18-24 mos, i can't remember exactly which and it lasted around 3 weeks I think. It's a phase, and a frustrating one at that. CIO is what we do, but Elijahs a stubborn child so I expect this to take a while! In his entire lifetime he's never cried when I put him to bed, but now he's making up for lost time! At least we are all in it together!
October 20th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Ali15's Avatar LovingMy3Miracles
Well, I'm sorry to see so many having this struggle, but I am kind of happy to see that Brennan is not the only one doing this!

We've been having this struggle for a while now, but it's gotten worse this week. He gets out of bed and comes into our room. (He'll get back in bed when we lead him back to it, but then he'll get up 30 minutes later and do it all again.) He doesn't cry (usually), and asks for different things: like for DH to sleep with him, or water, or to go downstairs, or to play with his cars, to watch Elmo, etc, etc...

I don't have an tips, but we're trying the whole less attention thing when he does it. I haven't tried skipping his nap. We've given him a night light, but eventually took it out b/c he didn't like it, we have a noise machine, we opened his door, closed his door, tell him it's still bedtime...ugh, I'm just hoping SOMETHING we try will work soon!

I hope this phase passes quickly (for all of us)!!
October 20th, 2010, 10:28 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali15 View Post
Well, I'm sorry to see so many having this struggle, but I am kind of happy to see that Brennan is not the only one doing this!

I hope this phase passes quickly (for all of us)!!
Us too! I've noticed a lot of facebook messages about bad sleep from all of us. It seems to be a common phase.. I think most of us are going through it.

We gave in, and Charly sleeps in our bed now, lol. I just can't handle not getting sleep. I already wake up at 4 am and am so tired that I crash as soon as my head hits the pillow. We'll deal with the habit breaking later, but for now, it works.
October 21st, 2010, 07:13 AM
tanya74's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We went through this when Alexander was around this age. He'd go to sleep and then wake up at around midnight every night. I tried all kinds of things to make him happy and usually resorted to watching an episode of Elmo before he'd fall back to sleep. Then one day it just stopped and he has slept well since. So it was just a phase and lasted about 2 weeks. Now, thankfully, Mia has not done it at all and sleeps through the night without any problems.

October 21st, 2010, 08:04 AM
TallyGirl22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't read all of the responses yet but from experience it sounds like he has formed a habit of this getting up at 3:30/4am and will continue to do so until broken. We got in the habit of giving Elizabeth something to drink at night when she woke up at night and that continued on for over 2 years.... yes, 2 years. My daughter JUST started sleeping thru the night. We had a very hard time breaking the habit - but we tried CIO and then taking the drink away - to no drink. Hopefully since yours hasn't been going on as long it won't be as hard to break. Try not going into him - will he go back to sleep after crying? I know its hard... but maybe it'll stop the cycle?

Happy 5th Birthday to my princess Elizabeth!

[/CENTER]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search