36 week appointment, nerve-wracking moments, plus surprise ultrasound... and ???s

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 25th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Nicandab's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Went to the doctor, saw the Nurse Practitioner I <3.. and she measured my belly.. looked at the tape, looked at the computer, measured my belly again, and said.. hrmm..

I measured at 31 weeks!! I was at 35 weeks last week. Well.. I figured it was just because Wyatt had 'dropped'. They were concerned about my fluid levels, and sent me down for an ultrasound with the perinatalogist.

Wyatt's 5lb, 14oz, has stayed right on the growth curve he's been at.. but..

THE LITTLE WRETCH TURNED BREECH! Frank breech, at that. We're butt down now.

did get a great pic though:

anyone have any prior experience with an external cephalic version? I'm having one next week, I think. The peri offered me the option, I'm totally ok with it.. he did mention that, having had prior gastric bypass, it may be a bit more painful due to abdominal adhesions from the surgery. Its done in L&D so if there are complications, we could deliver Wyatt by emergency C-section.

but.. having HAD abdominal surgery, I'd like to avoid a c-section if I could.

and now I'm nervous.

October 25th, 2010, 02:00 PM
KellersMom517's Avatar Emily-Mom to Keller Henry
Well listen, Isla was breech - footling breech (with her feet down in my cervix) until she finally turned at my 37 week appointment. As long as there is plenty of fluid, it's still very possible that the little stinker could turn for ya! So I didn't have to go through the version, which I was thankful for b/c I couldn't decide whether I wanted it or not. I know that you can look at videos of it on YouTube - it looks really wacky, but none of the people I saw appeared to be in SEVERE pain.

They will do an U/S and make sure the cord isn't in the way I think, and I think one of the big risks is rupturing your water by accident, or getting tangled in the cord (which they could see on the HR monitors). I'm sureit willbe FINE!

But you won't need it - he'll turn

Isla 10/27/10 and Keller 4/26/08
October 25th, 2010, 02:43 PM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
Yay Wyatt for staying on your growth line! Good job buddy!

I'd say think positive and hope for turning. I have a girlfriend who had an external version and she said it was ridiculously painful - and then her LO ended up flipping BACK and she had a c-sec. She said he was grounded before he was even on the outside, lol.

Don't mean to scare you - I am sure they've got steps in place to handle the pain - but be prepared. I found this handy dandy page about ECVs - they say the success rate is about 65%.

Breech Babies: What Can I Do if My Baby is Breech? -- familydoctor.org
October 25th, 2010, 03:14 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
I have read wonderful things about going to a chiro for a "turn the baby" option.
YouTube - Websters Technique - Chiropractic Adjustment for Turning Breech Babies Here's a video.

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

October 25th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Nicandab's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd like to do the chiro, but I've had a vertebral fracture in the past and degenerative disc disease so I've been warned away from adjustments by my regular doc. That.. and if a medical professional's going to do it, I'd rather it be a peri in L&D, so if something happens (all that movement could twist the cord, etc.0 we can get him out asap.

October 25th, 2010, 06:24 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicandab View Post
I'd like to do the chiro, but I've had a vertebral fracture in the past and degenerative disc disease so I've been warned away from adjustments by my regular doc. That.. and if a medical professional's going to do it, I'd rather it be a peri in L&D, so if something happens (all that movement could twist the cord, etc.0 we can get him out asap.
I'm sorry. I hope your ECV works!

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

October 25th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What a cute little stinker! My OB attempted a version with Addy. Our plan was if she turned, they would induce me to keep her from flipping back before delivery. If she didn't turn, then I'd have a c-sect. So they did it in the OR and I had a spinal; so I can't speak to the pain. I could feel them pushing on my belly fairly hard, but Addy had a heart decel and my OB quickly called for a c/s. I remember how much I didn't want a c/s, but it really did turn out to be for the best in my case since there was an undiagnosed placenta issue. I'll hope everything works out however is safest for you and Wyatt!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search