Isla's Birth Story

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 1st, 2010, 10:05 AM
KellersMom517's Avatar Emily-Mom to Keller Henry
Date: Due Date - 10/26/10
Pregnancy Status: Still pregnant
Emotional Mantra: I am going to be pregnant forever

So the day was just like any other day, feeling not much in the way of contractions or unusual pain. No loss of plug or bloody show - nothing. Ok, we're in for the long haul.

6pm: DH is getting ready to go to band practice and I start getting a few contractions, but they are just like the ones I have been having for weeks and are only about 8-9 minutes apart. I send DH on his way, but I only ate half of my dinner because something in the back of my head told me I might not want to overdo it.

8pm: Contractions stop, but then start again when DH gets home from band practice around 10:30. We go to bed and I fall asleep.

1am: OUCH! Big contraction. I go to the bathroom and can tell that I have broken my water and have bloody show - it's go time. But I am not sure how long it's going to be so I tell DH to sleep for another hour. I take a shower and try to rest, but that's not really happening - so I call my mom and tell her to start driving from Maine! She has a 6 hour drive and now has to drive in the middle of the night...perfect.

3am: Contractions have really picked up and we call DH's mom to come over and stay with Keller until he wakes up in the morning. She gets there are 3:30 and keeps telling me to go straight to the hospital b/c my contractions are less than 5 min apart, so even though I wanted to labor at home for a bit more - it is too irritating to listen to and I end up calling my midwife around 4 am to tell her we will be leaving soon.

5am: Arrive at hospital, get admitted and into a room. My AWESOME midwife Paula arrives shortly thereafter and gets me a birthing ball to sit on. These are SERIOUS contractions and very different from when I was in labor with Keller. There is a TON of pressure in my vajayjay and bottom from the very beginning and I had to moan through the pain rather than just breathe.

So she checks me and I am 3-4 cm - she expects me to be disappointed but I am TOTALLY psyched since it took 14 hours of labor to get to that point with my first labor!! WOOHOO! I get my fluids b/c I can tell I will definitely need an epi and it takes forever, as usual, to find a vein for the IV. They try drawing blood for the lab work and Cord Blood Banking, but I can't handle it with the contractions so we decide to wait until after the epi.

I get my epi after not TOO long and it's great, but I get the shakes really bad and my blood pressure drops A LOT - to like 80/50 or something like that. They give me oxygen and I have to lay on my side, which sucked a lot. Labor and shake for a while, feeling ok - check me again and I'm a 7 (around maybe 10 am). YAY!

Then Paula has to go back to the office across the street, so Deb comes in (also great, she delivered Keller). Checks me after a few more hours and tells me I'm a 6. ***?!?!?!?! I have labored for 2 more hours and LOST a centimeter?? Ugh. The pressure REALLY starts building and becomes extremely painful and I feel like I have to push even though I'm not ready - and my body is actually pushing without me as I try to breathe through the contractions. It was really weird not feeling the actual contractions but feeling the pain and pressure of the baby - she felt so low even though she was still only at a -2.

I breathe through this for 2 more hours and she comes back in and finally tells me I am a 7-8 and am progressing, but I tell her I need something to take this pain/pressure away or I won't make it. So they come and boost up my epi, which REALLY helps like A LOT. I can still feel a little pressure, but just enough that I will know when to push.

Then Isla's HR starts to accelerate, and doesn't come back down - it's running around 210-215 BPM, which is a lot. And my BP is low again - so I am shaking like crazy. And the only thing I can eat/drink is Italian Ice so I am now freezing also, which makes me shiver too!

Paula comes back at around 2:15 or so and checks me because the nurse called her about the heart rate - I still have a lip, but I am almost fully dilated so she moves it out of the way. She tells me we are going to "practice" push, and I was totally not expecting that we would be REALLY pushing then. My first pushes were so weak it was pathetic, and I totally felt like I couldn't push any harder. She got pretty commando on me, which was good and just what I needed so I pushed again. Now, keep in mind that I am trying to prepare myself for at least an hour of pushing since I pushed with Keller for 2.5 hours - I was very surprised when my baby girl was born about 20 minutes later after 8 - 10 pushes!!

Let me tell you, this little girl gave me trouble! From being breech, and flipping all around, to not coming down quickly at all during labor...then when she was born she had the cord wrapped around her neck, was sunny side up, AND had her arms crossed in front of her! I was wondering why pushing was still so difficult after the head was out!! But she was perfect They handed her to me and we snuggled while I delivered the placenta and they checked out my tearingm which was only a 1st degree and not too bad.

So Isla made her entrance at 2:49 PM on October 27th (just fashionably late to the party), weighing in at 7 lb 14 oz and 21 inches! (a half pound more and almost an inch longer than her brother!). She's so perfect and so far I feel really wonderful and relaxed and happy! I'm pretty sure that my main emotion when Keller was still only 5 days old was pure fear and anxiety, so this is a welcome relief!

Thanks for reading our story!!

Isla 10/27/10 and Keller 4/26/08
November 1st, 2010, 10:20 AM
Bermuda Girl's Avatar Andrea Jack & Olive's mom
I am so happy to hear about your beautiful baby girl! Congrats!
November 1st, 2010, 10:36 AM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
Aww, what a great story! Made me tear up!
November 1st, 2010, 11:11 AM
Julka
That was a great story! I have never heard of anyone losing cm, that's totally weird! LOL but glad everything went well for the most part. Veronika also had the cord wrapped around her neck, so I know how scary that is. Congrats again, enjoy her!
November 1st, 2010, 11:35 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awww, wonderful story! Congrats again on your sweet little girl.

November 1st, 2010, 11:39 AM
claire1979's Avatar mummy to a special angel
Send a message via MSN to claire1979
awww a fab story, i like reading birth stories ). congrats again hun x

November 1st, 2010, 02:22 PM
DonovinsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
aww how wonderful!! Congrats such a beautiful story!!!!
November 1st, 2010, 05:08 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Love reading it! All 3 of my girls had their cord around their necks. I'm glad things are going well for you!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
November 1st, 2010, 06:42 PM
.:Stace:.'s Avatar .:Stace:.
Send a message via MSN to .:Stace:.
What a beautiful story
November 1st, 2010, 09:17 PM
MyBabyBear's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aww great story thanks for sharing Congrats!!!

My beautiful siggy was made by (Heather) Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* - thank you!

November 2nd, 2010, 05:20 AM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
beautiful story!
November 2nd, 2010, 08:22 AM
bessie17's Avatar mommy2caden&adisyn
Thanks for sharing Emily! It was a beautiful birth story!

Colleen, loving mother to Caden (4yrs; 04-17-2008) and Adisyn (2yr; 01-14-2010)
November 2nd, 2010, 12:52 PM
happyhme44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I LOVE reading birth stories and yours does not disappoint! lol Congrats!

~Thank you Claire for my beautiful siggy!~

November 2nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Great story! So glad you're happy and relaxed! Enjoy your baby girl!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search