An update....

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 1st, 2010, 03:48 PM
Brighteyed & Caffeinated
Send a message via MSN to mommy2olliebeans
I'm currently 17 weeks pregnant. I had the amnio done on October 19th (I was 15w,3d at the time).... I got some of the results back now. The baby has a translocation, but it is a balanced one like mine as opposed to an unbalanced one like Gracie's........
Dh and I had to do some blood testing on the weekend as they want to check for one more thing, but I haven't gotten the results back from that yet as they were just taken to Vancouver probably today.......

The baby has been doing good. Heartbeat is usually around 150bpm.
My placenta is anterior, which means it is on the front wall. I don't feel any movement and the baby's heartbeat is not loud yet - so it makes me worry sometimes, although I know the baby is doing well and healthy...

My big ultrasound was booked for November 16th (also Gracie's 1st angel day), so I am grateful to have something to look forward to on that dreaded day.

Here is a photo taken at my amnio appointment.
November 1st, 2010, 05:07 PM
BrittM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm pretty sure I already relplied to you post in our DDC but did you find out the gender yet? Sorry if you already posted it and I missed it!

November 1st, 2010, 06:14 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Thanks for the update Caylee
I hope you are feeling optimistic about the new baby on this very sad anniversary. It has to be hard, but it can have a hopeful aspect as well. I hope for good news forthcoming! How are you and your husband preparing? Do you sense boy or girl yet?

November 1st, 2010, 06:44 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What is a translocation? Can't imagine how the 16th is going to feel.

November 2nd, 2010, 08:15 AM
Brighteyed & Caffeinated
I am a carrier of a balanced reciprical translocation.....

A translocation occurs when a portion of one chromosome is transferred to another chromosome. There are two main types of translocations. In a reciprocal translocation, segments from two different chromosomes have been exchanged. In a Robertsonian translocation, an entire chromosome has attached to another at the Centromere - in humans these only occur with chromosomes 13, 14, 15, 21 and 22.
Individuals that carry chromosomal translocations are typically healthy; however they are at an increased risk for infertility, miscarriage, stillbirth, and/or having a child with birth defects

Individuals that carry a balanced chromosomal translocation contain all of their genetic information; however, pieces of some chromosomes have switched places. It is estimated that 1 in 625 people have a balanced translocation.
This picture shows a balanced translocation:
Balanced translocation - Genetics Home Reference

An unbalanced translocation occurs when a child inherits a chromosome with extra or missing genetic material from a parent with a balanced translocation.
This picture shows what this looks like:
Unbalanced translocation - Genetics Home Reference

Gracie had an unbalanced translocation. Her syndrome was known as Trisomy 4p or Duplication 4p Syndrome. It occured because she had an extra piece of the short arm of chromosome 4 attached to one of her chromosome 15s.

The baby will be healthy like me, with the rearraged chromosomes - but may have problems when they are reproducing..... Like me, they will be able to do testing if they choose, to find out what the health of the baby is....
November 2nd, 2010, 10:08 AM
LisaMarie!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad to hear this baby should be healthy.

This isn't for a debate. If this is to much for you to talk about I understand.

I'm just wondering what you would have done if the baby was unbalance like Gracie? If you carry the baby to term is the outcome always the same? Or since you have gone through it once would you chose to terminate or let nature take it course and carry the baby to term?

<
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

November 2nd, 2010, 10:40 AM
Brighteyed & Caffeinated
I was not willing to terminate no matter what the results were. It depends what part of the chromosomes are affected (they are made up of band numbers)..... It can be severe, it can be mild... The kids can have learning difficulties, they can have seizures, they may not be affected by much at all....

Gracie was definitely a blessing in my life - she taught me so much about life, about everything, about being passionate about something, about empathizing with others......

100% would have done it again.
November 3rd, 2010, 08:19 AM
noworries
Glad to hear that this new baby has a balanced translocation. I hope the blood tests come back perfect.
I had an anterior placenta with Eli and didn't start really feeling any movement with him until at 18 weeks. Hopefully you will start feeling some good movement soon so you won't have to worry as much about this little one. Eli also had Trisomy 13 (although that was not his cause of death) and while I know that he most likely would have had many disabilities and abnormalities if he had been born alive, I know that I would have received great love from spending even a moment with him.
I hope that November 16th is a good day for you. I hope that you are able to celebrate Gracie's life and I hope you are also able to see this new baby and that s/he is healthy.

On a side note....I love your siggy. Those are some absolutely sweet pictures of Gracie.
November 3rd, 2010, 08:28 AM
Brighteyed & Caffeinated
Thanks Carrie :-)

It is so difficult... But Gracie would want me to be strong, and so I try :-)

I am really looking forward to the baby.
November 3rd, 2010, 11:56 AM
noworries
You don't always have to be strong. I think Gracie would totally understand if you sometimes need to be sad and cry.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search