Wyatt's Birth Story plus pictures! :)

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 6th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Nicandab's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I went to bed Wednesday night after calling the doctor in a panic because I had 6 contractions in 45 minutes. While waiting for the doctor to call b, I felt this *HUGE* baby movement, and then a lifting of pressure and then no more contractions. I figured he'd been sitting on something important and causing them. No biggie.

At 7:39.. I woke up on Friday. To a huge contraction. As in.. OW OW OMG OW.
Then another one.. 9 minutes later. and another one.. 9 minutes after that.
As Wyatt's most recent ultrasound had shown that the little monkey had turned breech.. going into labor, and prematurely at that.. was a little nerve wracking. I wait for the doctor's office to open at 8:30, and have contractions 9 minutes apart the entire time. I call them, and they ask me how fast I can get to the hospital.

At this point, I wasn't comfortable enough to drive, and DH works an hour away and didn't get off until 8. He was still 45 minutes from our house. :-( Dallas (my ex, Bree's dad) had dropped her off at the babysitter when I called him and asked him to come get me and take me to the hospital and drop me off so DH could meet me. The hospital is 25 minutes in the direction of DH's work, so we could get there right about the same time. We arrived, DH was already there and waiting, and head up to the doctor's office. We wait about 20 minutes, still contracting every 9 minutes, they call us back, I get checked out and put on the NST monitors. The nurse, who is very, very nice.. did a really crummy job of placing the monitor. I'm in pain, on schedule, every 8-9 minutes, and the monitor is picking up nothing at all. I literally grabbed the doctor's hand and put it on my belly and she said, 'Oh'. This was NOT my doctor, and I don't like this one at all, from previous experience with her. She checked my cervix, and it was high and closed.

She said, 'As they aren't lasting very long... if the baby weren't breech I would send you home... but since baby is breech we need to monitor you for a few hours, and then likely you'll be going home.' OK.. First of all.. how do you know how long they were lasting?!? You couldn't get anything on the monitor!

So we truck over to L&D.. and the nurse THERE places the monitor perfectly. and picks up every.. single.. contraction.. which are now really painful and 6 !! minutes apart. The nurse calls *my* doctor, who was out of the office during the day in order to be on call during the weekend. She says to give me fluids. ok.. two bags go in, and contractions remain unchanged.

Then.. the evil and now much-hated terbutaline. EW! Hate it! I'm watching my contractions on the monitor, every 4 minutes apart, and hard to breathe through. The terbutaline went in.. I got flushed and my heart raced and added to my discomfort.. and my contractions..

went from being 4 minutes apart to being every 2 minutes apart. uh.. uh oh. Isn't terbutaline sposed to do the opposite? I asked the nurse what was supposed to be happening, and she just told me she was going to go call the doctor. She calls the doctor, who tells her to check my cervix. 2 cm, 70% effaced, confirmed by another nurse, and then the doctor, who has trucked it into the hospital by this point.

Time to have a baby! The c-section was fairly routine, except they kept asking me if I could feel things, and I *could*. I was like, 'uhhh.. sharp?' so they gave me lidocaine at the incision site to numb the skin.. and the two inside toes on each feet NEVER went even remotely numb. The anesthesiologist was funny, too. DH in his scrubs was very very cute, as the shirt was *WAYYYY* too tight. They don't make 'em for 6'5" 320 lb men, apparently.

Oh.. and that whole thing about do NOT eat/drink before a c-section? hahah yeah. DON'T DO IT!! I was dying of thirst, whether it was hormones, the medicine, whatever.. but I spent the ENTIRE day dying of thirst. I asked DH for a little bit of water in a cup to rinse my mouth.. and swallowed it. A swallow. but at some point.. they were working hard right next to my stomach.. and well.. That wasn't pleasant.

After he was delivered, they showed him to me, (butt first, all I got to see was his butt!!) and he was purple. He pinked right up though, Apgar scores of 8 and 9. 6 lbs even, 19 inches long. 5:32pm on 10/29/10 Brianna was 6lbs 3oz, but only 17.5 inches long and that's an important inch and a half. Wyatt looks SO skinny compared to Brianna. He has much less hair, too. I didn't get him in my room until 7:30 because he was having a bit of trouble keeping himself warm, and needed some suctioning because of some nostril flaring. Other than that, he has been a good baby. He sleeps a lot, but I've been told that's a preemie thing. We've had a couple instances of vomiting because of over feeding. :-o oopsies! I've had to pump quite a bit, because he falls asleep and is unrouseable after about 15 minutes, but that seems like it is resolving. He's been on breastmilk only for 5 days.

Some pictures:

Me and Wyatt's first meeting.

Wyatt and Daddy:

A couple of hours old:

And.. Brianna and Wyatt hanging out on Halloween! Wyatt was a monkey! We send him back to the nursery with a big bag of Halloween candy that said, 'My Mommy says I can't have this yet, but I sure hope you enjoy it! Thanks for taking good care of me and Mommy!" for the nursery nurses and the postpartum unit nurses.

November 7th, 2010, 08:22 AM
DonovinsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow what a birth story!! I am so glad that everything turned out wonderfully He is just so sweet!!!
November 7th, 2010, 10:32 AM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
Awww, Les - he is SO SO SO cute. I LOVE the Halloween costume.

It really sounds like he was just READY! I'm glad that things went smoothly with the c-sec, in spite of the barf (and girlfriend, you are SO not alone on that one.)

Congratulations!
November 8th, 2010, 04:51 AM
bessie17's Avatar mommy2caden&adisyn
Wow! I am SO glad everything turned out okay in the end. He is absolutely adorable and I LOVE his costume

Colleen, loving mother to Caden (4yrs; 04-17-2008) and Adisyn (2yr; 01-14-2010)
November 8th, 2010, 08:47 AM
KellersMom517's Avatar Emily-Mom to Keller Henry
He is adorable!!! That is a crazy story - I guess he wasn't turning OR waiting his turn to come out! He was ready! I hope your recovery is going ok and you are getting *some* rest. And yeah, I barfed too during labor...right when I got to the hospital! LOL - My midwife gave me Zofran, I don't think she wanted to deal with that for another 14 hrs

Isla 10/27/10 and Keller 4/26/08
November 8th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Great story! So glad all turned out okay with him arriving early. He's adorable! I love the monkey costume, and cute idea with the candy for the nurses. Did you have the costume just in case or did someone run out to buy it after he arrived early?
November 9th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Aww...what a cute birth story. Besides the barfing, of course. lol. I love that he arrived just in time for Halloween! He looked so adorable in his little costume.

Thanks for sharing!

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]
November 9th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Nicandab's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xPink View Post
Great story! So glad all turned out okay with him arriving early. He's adorable! I love the monkey costume, and cute idea with the candy for the nurses. Did you have the costume just in case or did someone run out to buy it after he arrived early?

My sister ran out and bought a whole bunch of newborn clothes since we didn't have anything.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search