Advice for wording?

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2010, 10:54 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DH and I are hosting our own co-ed "shower". The thing is, I hesitate to even call it a shower. We saved all of Liam's stuff. We really don't need anything and I think most people associate a shower with gifts. I just don't know what else to call it. Also, I love real, mailed invitations, so not only do I want to find something other than "shower" to call it, I want to address the fact that we're not expecting gifts. I know there are a few people who will insist on getting us a gift, and if they do, all we want is money for the cloth diaper fund or dinners for the freezer. Do we address that? Just wait until people ask?

Are there websites for hosting a party page? Like, for our wedding, we had a personalized website through mywedding.com. It was really nice to direct people there for directions, registries, RSVP's, etc. Does anyone know of something like that for other kinds of parties?

November 9th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
No clue. If it were just word of mouth, I'd say we are planning one last Hoorah before have a(nother) new baby in the house..

I'd google.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
November 9th, 2010, 07:13 AM
LisaMarie!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are you doing it before or after the baby is here

if afterwards--you can say its a welcome home party

before-- Liam big brother Celebration (something like, not really sure)

<
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

November 9th, 2010, 08:04 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
Hmm.. If it's not a shower, it's coed, and you aren't expecting gifts, than it's just a party, no?

I'd just say Come Join us to celebrate our growing family!

November 9th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
I'm with Cyndee - my first reaction is if you don't want a traditional shower and you don't want gifts, and I'm assuming you just want a chance to get together with a bunch of friends, then just throw a regular ol' party. I don't think formal invitations are really necessary, although you could certainly use them if you really want to. It doesn't really need a "name" other party.

November 9th, 2010, 08:56 AM
~Devon~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Devon~
You could call it a Sprinkle. I would say something along the lines of: we don't expect/want any gifts as we saved everything, but we would love to stock our freezer with yummy meals for when the baby comes.
November 9th, 2010, 10:10 AM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I'd just say Come Join us to celebrate our growing family!
Quote:
we don't expect/want any gifts as we saved everything, but we would love to stock our freezer with yummy meals for when the baby comes.
Thank you! These were the kinds of things I was looking for. The party will certainly be baby themed and several people have made a point of telling us we "need" to have a shower, but nobody has offered to throw one, so we're going to do it our way. We don't want stuffy, traditional games, awkward everybody-stare-at-mom-while-she-opens-gifts kind of things.

I know that we don't need to do formal invites, but I just really enjoy sending real mail.

November 9th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Ah, I didn't realize you still wanted it baby themed, but not a shower. I just thought you wanted to gather all your friends for a little bash. In that case, I kinda like the "sprinkle" idea, it's cute.

Have you put any thought into doing it after the baby is born? I know last time around that you posted about this that suggestion was made, but I can't remember your comments on it. I kinda like the idea of "meet the new baby" party in lieu of a shower and in that case you could probably direct the gift giving towards your CD fund.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search