The last 6 weeks

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 14th, 2010, 03:26 PM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
So, although this is a dumb question for someone who's already HAD a kid, I need input from those of you who carried past 34 weeks.

So far so good for me making it to term this time, although I'm still not out of the woods yet (six weeks and she'll be fully baked! Woo!) I'm just keeping everything crossed that we can make it to 37 weeks and avoid the NICU stay again.

What can I expect in terms of swelling & weight gain in the last 6 weeks? I ask because I've noticed my feet swelling in the past few days, mostly after being active or walking a bunch, and while some can be attributed to regular pregnancy swelling I'm not sure how MUCH can be (my frame of reference is kind of limited.) If I see my weight jump along with the swelling I'll have a better idea of whether or not to worry, but I'm not sure how much to consider a jump.

So far I've been gaining about a half a pound a week to a pound a week, but I recall some of you saying you had lost weight in the last few weeks. What happened for you?

Thanks in advance ladies - up to 34 weeks I can draw on my own memories, but after that I'm a rookie!
December 14th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm no help on the swelling, since I haven't ever swelled. I definitely gained weight all the way to the end, but I don't usually start gaining until 15 or 16 weeks and gained about 20 pounds with Addy (who was 11 days early) and 25pounds with Mia (who was 5 days overdo). I think everyone can be different and even different for each pregnancy in the same person. Follow your gut on the swelling or if your weight does something strange suddenly. Good luck! I'll be rooting for you to make it to your scheduled c/s!
December 14th, 2010, 05:32 PM
KellersMom517's Avatar Emily-Mom to Keller Henry
I think I started swelling around 35 weeks, and was a full blown cankle model by 39 But I didn't gain any weight really this time around. With Keller, I recall that I gained about 8 lbs in the last 3 weeks of appointments (I delivered him a week early) - that was a bummer, but it went away pretty quickly.

This time - I think I was more swollen for the week AFTER I delivered, than anything. I was REALLY swollen to the point of almost being nervous about it. But it did go away.

6 weeks?!? REALLY?? WOW!!!!

Isla 10/27/10 and Keller 4/26/08
December 14th, 2010, 05:41 PM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
Well, I have 6 weeks until she's ready, and then it's more like 8 weeks till the section (and today, that 8 weeks feels like the time equivalent of Mount Everest.)

I guess I will just keep an eye on it - my wedding rings aren't tight, my hands & face aren't swollen, so that's a good sign. I'm just SO twitchy about the whole pre-e & PIH thing after last time.
December 14th, 2010, 06:12 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
I never really had any swelling with either pregnancies. I would keep drinking lots of water, take lots of resting and sitting breaks and just overall take it easy.

I gained about .5 lbs a week the last month. Thats about what the baby is gaining too in the last stretch of pregnancy.

You know what is normal for you ( up to this point) so as long as you keep on that path, i wouldnt worry, if you start noticing huge jumps or spikes, or massive swelling, then i would call your doctor.
December 14th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I do not remember, sorry!

BUT i love your new ticker!!!!
December 15th, 2010, 04:54 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think by about 38 or 39 weeks (I went 40 weeks + 4 days), I had to take off my wedding rings from the swelling. And I know I gained quickly in that final month. I wish I could remember how much, but I do remember I was shocked at the scale at my weekly appointments. LOL Maybe 1-2 pounds per week?

Like everyone said, just keep an eye on it. You know your body best.

December 15th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Keep an eye on the swelling as it can be a sign of pre-clampsia. Be sure to drink lots of water and rest. I have no swelling issues but did after I had Kai from trying to do too much so if you are doing too much that may be the cause.
In terms of weight gain, I think about a pound a week is where I am at, but I wouldn't worry as long as your doctor doesn't say anything one way or another.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search