my birth plan

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2011, 10:51 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i FINALLY wrote it. procrastinate much?? ha!
so what do you think?

Quote:
Our desire is to have a natural, unmediated birth with minimal intervention. We are aware that complications can arise and that our plan may not be followed exactly.
Thank you.

Labor
*Dim lights and quiet environment to promote relaxation
*Minimal vaginal exams
*NO IV - heparin lock is fine
*Intermittent fetal monitoring
*Freedom to move around the room
*Water as a comfort measure (shower and/or tub if available)
*Avoid interventions such as pitocin and AROM
*Clear fluids by mouth to stay hydrated
*I would prefer if pain medication was not offered to me at all
*My daughter will be present if she wishes and I will have a family member standing by to watch her if need be

Delivery
*Choice of pushing position
*No time limit to pushing
*Use of Birth stool if available
*Access to a mirror to watch crowning if desired at the time
*I would prefer to tear and do not wish to have an episiotomy
*Only necessary hospital staff in the room during delivery
*Please use perennial massage and compresses to help avoid tearing
*Local anesthesia if repairing is needed
*We would like to keep the placenta

After Care
*My husband would like to cut the umbilical cord after it stops pulsing
*We will be declining any vaccinations, vitamin K, and eye medication
*Exclusive breastfeeding (no pacifiers or bottles!)
*Apgar and other assessments to be performed in mom’s arms if possible
*We would prefer to bathe baby together

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
January 16th, 2011, 11:10 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think that looks great! As long as it's done before Christmas Jellyfish arrives, it's not too late!

January 16th, 2011, 11:18 PM
thanks!
i did discuss most of this stuff with my doctor already so i know it's all good....this is more or less for the nurses. in the real copy of the plan i have a spot at the bottom for him to sign so if the nurses give me any crap they can see that he has already read and signed off on it.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
January 16th, 2011, 11:25 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
One point my cousin (who is a doula and midwife in training) made was that nurses are busy and see a lot of excessive birthplans. She recommended making birthpans as short and to the point as possible. If anything is common practice at your hospital or more negotiable, you might want to consider leaving it off. The faster they can read it, the more likely it is that they will.

January 16th, 2011, 11:30 PM
yeah, i did try to make it as short and to the point as possible....hence, the bullet points. i tried looking up sample birth plans online and they were all so lengthy and wordy and *I* didn't even want to read them. so why would a bust doctor or nurse want to read them?

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
January 17th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
looks great to me!

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
January 17th, 2011, 05:25 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
sounds great! since you have a birth plan written out anyway, it might be worth thinking about the pushing phase in regards to pushing when you want to, and pushing on command.
January 17th, 2011, 09:52 AM
^^good call, i actually thought i had that in there! i guess i had missed it. i absolutely do not want to be told when to push. i will put that in there too....thanks for pointing it out.
do you think i should add a section about *if* a c/s is needed?...i still want to hold the baby right away and nurse asap. ugh i don't even want to think about that possibility though.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
January 17th, 2011, 10:01 AM
i might add that section, yes. i didn't have a birth plan, but my midwives advised to be prepared for worst case scenario. if you do, maybe put something in there about wanting a lactation consultant asap to help you nurse the baby. you can also have steven be with the baby the whole time as they tend to you (hypothetically, knock on wood).
January 17th, 2011, 10:06 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
What if your water breaks but you don't start contracting? Do you have a time limit on how long you will wait for birth to start on it's own?
Also, if your water doesn't break on it's own, will you allow them to break it. Often they do it to 'get things moving along'. Do you have a timetable on birth progression factors or stalling, before you allow interventions?
I know you are going to try to birth at home as much as possible, but when do you plan to go in? are you going to check your own dilation?

I only ask b/c I never made a plan for how my birth went (the first scenario) and had I known I would have asked to wait longer before saying yet to pit and epi and would have tried walking and other stuff first. I spent the whole labor in bed. Second scenario was a birth video I saw at the hospital the lady's birth was progressing fine and they broke the water anyway, I asked why they did it and the instructor had no reason. It seems like once the water breaks you are in a 24 hour race before they threaten csection for minimize risk of infection, so they say.

Last edited by *Cyndee*; January 17th, 2011 at 10:44 AM.
January 17th, 2011, 10:30 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Looks good to me! It would probably be good to add the things suggested. My plan was also a non-plan. I ended up having my water broken at 8 cm and things went super fast after that. The only reason was to speed things up and it worked (Kolbie came 49 min. later).

Last edited by mylene169; January 17th, 2011 at 10:40 AM.
January 17th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
That looks good to me! I don't think it can hurt to put the worst case in there and add instructions for a c/s, just in case. Your desire for little intervention and a natural birth are evident, so they'll know it's a last case scenario thing and if it were to come to that, you'd want to be sure your wishes were met in that scenario too.

Good going! Love the bullet format, very easy and fast to read.

January 17th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Just adding that my water didn't break until his head was born. My first pressure wave came at 10 am and Sam was born around 4. That's plenty fast, and it wasn't because my water had broken. In my experience, pressure waves can be more manageable with the bag intact.
January 17th, 2011, 02:29 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I would have to agree with you Kristen. Looking back AROM is the one thing I would have changed. If labor had gone on any longer after that than it had I'm not sure I could have handled it. I had managed up until that point just fine. So next time I'm going to hope to avoid it again. I was 4 cm at 9 a.m. the day before Kolbie was born, 6 cm at 4 p.m. that day and 8 cm at 6 when my Dr. asked to break my water. Things were going fine on their own and I do wish I'd let it continue that way.
January 17th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicyn View Post
What if your water breaks but you don't start contracting? Do you have a time limit on how long you will wait for birth to start on it's own?
Also, if your water doesn't break on it's own, will you allow them to break it. Often they do it to 'get things moving along'. Do you have a timetable on birth progression factors or stalling, before you allow interventions?
I know you are going to try to birth at home as much as possible, but when do you plan to go in? are you going to check your own dilation?

I only ask b/c I never made a plan for how my birth went (the first scenario) and had I known I would have asked to wait longer before saying yet to pit and epi and would have tried walking and other stuff first. I spent the whole labor in bed. Second scenario was a birth video I saw at the hospital the lady's birth was progressing fine and they broke the water anyway, I asked why they did it and the instructor had no reason. It seems like once the water breaks you are in a 24 hour race before they threaten csection for minimize risk of infection, so they say.

well if my water breaks and i don't start contracting i just won't go in. they don't need to know exactly when my water broke. if my water does not break on it's own that's fine....he can be born en caul which would be awesome! if i am stalled at 7 or 8 cms for like 3 hrs (which i doubt would happen) i would consider AROM i guess. i could handle my contractions on pit just fine last time until they broke my water....that's when the **** really hit the fan and i could no longer deal with the pain. having my water intact was a nice cushion.
as far as when i will go in, i am just going to play it by ear. i am not going to check my own cervix....there are ways of knowing how much progress you have made w/o cervical checks.

also, lets just say i show up at the hospital w/ waters intact and i am only like 3 cm....i am going home. i'm not gonna stay and they can't make me.

i didn't add the worst case scenario part yet, i didn't have time before my appt today, but i showed my dr. everything else (and added the part about pushing) and he was cool with everything. he even said that he doesn't prefer women to push lying on their back because it's not a very effective pushing position and it cuts off important blood vessels. he said i should add that we will not be circ'ing in the hospital so that the nurses don't bug me about it. we have still not decided whether or not we are keeping him intact. i am waiting on DH to do the research on his end so we can come to a decision together.
but if we do decide to do it, it will be done when he is at least 8 days old.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture

Last edited by horseradishmayo; January 17th, 2011 at 10:16 PM.
January 18th, 2011, 07:30 AM
noworries
I think it sounds good and looks good (to the point and with the bullet points) and it's great that your doc is on board with everything.
I had an emergency/c-section part in my birth plan. It was very short. Just stating that I wanted to be with Isaac asap, breastfeed him asap, my DH would be with Isaac at all times if I couldn't be, etc.
January 19th, 2011, 12:05 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
It looks good. I really like how short and to the point it is. With Abri, my water broke after an hour of active labor and my body immediately started pushing so I assumed I was pretty much fully dilated at that point. I had discussed my options with my midwife but since I didn't make it to her hospital, I just had to stick up for myself in between contractions ("No iv! I don't need it! Stop pushing my leg that way!). I'd say that most of the nurses and the random OB weren't fans of me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search