Placenta's

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2011, 08:13 AM
BrittM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry if this gross' some of you out. I think I may have posted about this awhile ago but I'm too lazy to go through my old posts to find it. So, would you consume your placenta? I've been reading alot about all the health benefits of doing this and it's really got me curious. Has anyone here ever done it? I would love to get mine put into capsules and take like a vitamin but I don't know how to go about it.

Jac, I think I read in your birth plan you're going to be keeping yours. Do you intend to eat it? Lol it sounds like such a funny question to ask.

Any input would be great. I've read its supposed to reduce PPD and help increase milk supply. Both those are reason enough for me to give it a try. What do you all think?

January 19th, 2011, 09:08 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
I think Cheryl did it. It's pretty common. A great place to ask may be the NCB board.

January 19th, 2011, 09:25 AM
IneedCoffee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think Jac has a hook up for turning hers into supplement pills. If I had a history with PPD or the like.. I probably would too. I am not against it... though not totally sure in what form I would consume it..if at all.

My Blog
January 19th, 2011, 09:30 AM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I kind of agree with Heather. If I had concerns about milk supply or PPD, I'd look into having it encapsulated. Some people just eat it; I don't think I could do that.

January 19th, 2011, 12:08 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Yeah a bunch of people on the NCB board have either done it or considered it. You should ask there. I seriously thought about it but DH freaked out at the mention of it. I would have encapsulated it. Eating it would kind of gross me out.
January 19th, 2011, 01:24 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I would do it if I had previous issues with PPD, for sure. It definitely grosses me out, but I'm pretty sure most mammals do it so it's not that weird. I wouldn't eat it with potatoes or anything, I'd encapsulate it too. I'm not sure if that diminishes some of the benefits though.
January 19th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks! I'll go ask over on the NCB board. I would definitely encapsulate it too, and I was also wondering if that diminishes the good stuff. I'll do some more research and see what I can find out.

January 19th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenpie View Post
I would do it if I had previous issues with PPD, for sure. It definitely grosses me out, but I'm pretty sure most mammals do it so it's not that weird. I wouldn't eat it with potatoes or anything, I'd encapsulate it too. I'm not sure if that diminishes some of the benefits though.
Sorry, dying here. Tom wanted each placenta so far claiming he wanted to cook it like a steak.

I definitely want to look into this if I have another the PPD the past two times was way too intense..

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
January 19th, 2011, 06:57 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i am keeping it! i was going to just cut it in small pill size pieces and freeze it and swallow the pieces. BUT a local doula/friend knew i was interested n encapsulation, and since i got a new ergo and was going to sell my old one anyway, she offered me a trade....so she is encapsulating it for me in exchange for my old ergo. i am actually really excited about it.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
January 20th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
If I have another, I will be doing a home birth, and keeping it. I have a very good quality food dehydrator, and my MIL has a pill maker. So I'd just dry it and turn it into pills. I have baby blues with Kyron, serious PPD with Porter, and nothing with Donovan. I think the risk is high that I would experience some form again. So, I would do it. I'd probably try to avoid telling DH what I was doing, though. LOL!

January 20th, 2011, 06:04 AM
LisaMarie!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Make sure you check with hospital laws too. If I remember correctly that Jac (might be someone else) said that a funeral home had to pick it up and they had to get it from the funeral home. I've never looked into it. I have no plan on doing it.

<
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

January 20th, 2011, 09:04 AM
yes, my state law requires that a funeral home pick it up and hold it for you until you are discharged from the hospital. but i'm sure since you live in Canada you won't have to jump through such hoops.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
January 20th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I'm going to ask my dr about it at my next appt. I'm sure he's going to look at me like I'm nuts. I don't think many ppl do that here. I've never known anyone too. I had PPD pretty bad with Jake and worry that with having two babies and a 3 year old to care for it might hit me pretty bad again. There are some things I'm going to do alot differently this time to try to avoid it and I figure if it's not a huge hassle to have done why not try the placenta thing too? I would have no problem swallowing it in a pill but I have no interest in actually cooking it and eating it. I also have two placenta's, do I need both of them? I haven't talked to DH about it either. He'll definitely think I'm nutso lol.

January 20th, 2011, 11:43 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ah, let him think you're nutso! You have every right to feel a little crazy when you have two newborns and a toddler at home! If you think encapsulating the placenta(s) will be beneficial to you, then by all means do it. Babies need healthy, happy mommies. If it's going to take trying something a little out of the ordinary, then so be it!

February 2nd, 2011, 10:48 PM
i have to say....i am LOVING my placenta pills. i stopped taking them for a few days because i had a bad cold and was told not to take them if i got sick (it's a Chinese medicine thing) and now that i am over my cold and taking them again, i notice a huge difference!
i feel way more balanced, i have more energy, less irritable, etc.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
February 3rd, 2011, 03:16 AM
LisaMarie!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, Its really neat to hear back from someone how take the pills. Did you have to have the funeral home pick it up? How did it work where you are at?

<
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

February 3rd, 2011, 08:53 AM
the funeral home picked it up from the hospital and the woman who did the encapsulation for me picked it up from the funeral home, prepared it, and then dropped it off at my house.
she also saved the cord and dried it in the shape of a heart.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
February 3rd, 2011, 10:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
That's for letting us know how it's going! That is so great! I'm for sure planning on using mine this time.

February 4th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Thanks for letting us know how your liking it Jac I totally forgot to ask my dr about it! For sure next appt.

February 14th, 2011, 11:57 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
yes, I had mine encapsulated. I highly recommend it. My PP experience was a million times better. Of course I was a bit more relaxed because I wasn't a first time mom, but hormonally the transition was very smooth.

If you can find someone to do it for you that is ideal. It's not hard but it's time consuming.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search