Target Heart Rate

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So I've been looking online to see what my target heart rate should be. And it seems ridiculously low. For maximum fat burning, most sites say you should only be working at 60% of your maximum heart rate. For me, this falls in the 115-130 bpm (approximately, I don't recall the exact numbers).

I use my elliptical trainer 3x a week for 30 minutes. I just finished my workout and I was trying to get my heart rate into the "target" zone. I had to slow right down and then the lowest I could make it go was 130 bpm.

What is up with that? It feels very silly to do a workout slowly in order to burn the maximum amount of fat. Seems so backwards. Does anyone know anything about this? Is this accurate or are all these target heart rate sites lying to me?
February 21st, 2011, 03:44 PM
Mama Theo's Avatar Supermom Extrordinare
I have no idea? Is that based off your resting heart rate? It seems like that wouldn't make sense.
February 23rd, 2011, 12:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it's based on your maximum heart rate. Your max is some number minus your age. And then the "maximum fat loss" number is 60% of that.

Either way, I am experimenting this week. I'm trying to keep my heart rate at 130 bpm during my workouts, which is hard to do! I still break a sweat but I'm not breathing hard at all and it's really easy! LOL I'm going to see what happens. It sure makes my workouts more bearable and I don't watch the clock so much. I want to do a bit more research too.
February 23rd, 2011, 02:49 PM
Interesting. let me know how it works out. It seems odd that you've got to keep it low to burn.

Ok, so I just looked up a THR calendar : Target Heart Rate Calculator

and it looks like it varies depending on your fitness level. I also found another site that says that 50-60% is the warm up zone. 60-70% is the fat burning zone(where you need to be to start burning fat) and 70-80% is the aerobic zone, which burns more calories, 50% of which are fat. I think you're fine to bump it up.

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/thr.html
February 25th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Interesting. That site does still say that the highest percentage of calories burned as fat is between 50 and 70% of max heart rate. Thanks for the link!
February 26th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Yeah, I just can't imagine how that actually works, know what I mean? Like you, I barely feel like I'm working out in that zone, lol! It does say that the aerobic zone burns more calories, and half are fat, so maybe even though the percentage is lower, the actual amount is higher? It doesn't say how much fat is burned in either. I'm so confused!
February 26th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok.... hypothetically, let's say in half an hour, I burn 200 calories on my elliptical keeping my heart rate in the supposed maximum fat burning zone. If 85% of those calories are fat gone, then I just burned 170 calories of fat.

Then let's say if I work a lot harder and burn 300 calories in half an hour, only 50% of those calories are fat, so I've only burned 150 calories of fat working much harder (although obviously there would be other benefits such as aerobic and cardiovascular whatever).

So if this is true, I'm still burning more fat going slower. I know, it sounds absurd! That's why I want to try it for awhile and see what happens. I actually haven't lost any weight for a really long time so if this makes ANY difference, I'll be quite pleased. ha ha!

Also, according to my elliptical's read-out (which isn't entirely accurate), if I go slower, I still burn 200 calories in 30 minutes and if I work pretty hard, that only goes up to maybe 240 calories at the most. So there may not even be as big a difference as my hypothetical situation allows.

Anyhoo, just thinking out loud. Thanks for humouring me, Mama Theo!
March 4th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Lemme know how it goes
March 4th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
LOL.... well I don't think I'll even be able to tell now because this week we went on a road trip and ate fast food and didn't exercise the whole time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search