We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
So now I really hope I'm not the one to give birth in the car since they will be giving me antibiotics during labor. Don't really know much about it otherwise. Do any of you?
Other than that, no change from last week. I have another appointment next monday but hope I can go into labor before then because I think my doc will be talking the "I" word otherwise. I'll be doing a lot of walking this year.
My friend had Strep B with her little girl (who is 3 months old now) and didn't make it to the hospital in time to get the antibiotics (her labor was just too quick) so they had to stay an extra day in the hospital to make sure the baby was ok.
Hopefully just the mere mention of induction will make your body go into labor! From what I hear, strep b isn't too huge of a deal. In fact just because you tested positive now doesn't mean you have it by the time you go into labor and vice versa for someone who tests negative.
I tested positive too ... it was one of the reasons that I went to the hospital earlier than I wanted to walk as I had been having contractions. If you don't get there in time for them to give you antibiotics, then they might keep you an extra day. When Mason had to go back to the hospital when he was 4 days old, it was the huge fear surrounding what might be going on with him. It was a horrible wait. I did tons of research on it and it is not that common and really only a huge concern with certain factors such as:
** Mother experiences preterm labor, defined as labor occurring before 37 weeks gestation.
** Fetal membranes are prematurely ruptured which may increase the risk that GBS will travel up through the cervix.
**Mother exhibits fever during labor.
** Mother gave birth to child with previous GBS infection.
I worried about it and really worried when Mason got sick, but it all worked out! You can also start taking probiotics to help with the side effects!
Well im glad to know there were no issues even when not making it to the hospital with enough time. That's one of my concerns being how quick everybodies second labors have been on here ( my mom also was only at hospital 20 min before having number 2) and my dh works 35 minutes from here, then hospital is another 30, yada, yada. Watch, I will be the one who is in labor for days just for mentioning that.
Antibiotics can cause thrush? Bummer. I had not one issue with bfing Lilly besides the cracked sore nipples the first few weeks. What kinds of things are probiotics in? Or is it a whole separate supplement?
Babies born to moms who had sections and took antibiotics, as well as moms who had antibiotics for strep B and delivered vaginally are at risk for getting thrush, as well as you. So if you pump your system up with probiotics now, you might be able to build up the colony of good bacteria so that when the antibiotics kill them off, they aren't all depleted. If that makes sense. If it were me, I would buy some probiotics at a health food store now. The kind that is in the refrigerator, with live cultures. And keep taking it a lot after you have the baby. Also buy the baby kind that you can rub on your nipple before nursing. I would just assume that you will get thrush, and start treating it from the start. You can also eat keifer or live yogurts now to get ready. You should be fine with the probiotics! Good luck!
mama to 5 yr old DS1 , 3 year old DS2 , and nursling DD .
GBS is a bacteria alot of women have that is fine for you, just not great for baby if untreated. They usually test for it around 36 weeks but we treat anyway if we don't know their GBS status or if they deliver before they are tested.
We usually given Ancef or Ampicillin IV every 4 hours until delivery for group B strep when someone is in labor. If they test positive for it with their first baby then we treat for each subsequent pregnancy regardless of what the swab culture said, if the doctor even does one with the next pregnancy. Probably an overuse of antibiotics, but thats the protocol at my hospital.
"What I do today must be important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it."