Mom of the Week 5/30!

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2011, 06:45 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
This week - erm - it's me.

Monday: Introduce us to you and your family.
Tuesday: Post 20 facts about yourself.
Wednesday: Show pics of yourself (recent or now and throughout the years), your children and your family.
Thursday: Q&A Day. The day all of us can ask questions for the MOTW to answer. (You can ask questions Monday-Wednesday as well, but they can just be answered on Thursday.)
Friday: Post pics that people have requested. You can pick which you would like to do based on time and such. (Pic requests must be in by Wednesday at 5pm EST to give MOTW adequate time to get pics, upload them, and such.)

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 30th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Hm, where to start? This is harder than I expected! I'm Kelly, and I was born in Edmonton, AB, Canada 28 years ago. My parents adopted me when I was a couple weeks old.

Growing up, I was pretty much the class geek. I skipped first grade and was very good at school, especially math and physics. I played the viola in elementary school, then did choir, a little acting, and students' council in junior high and high school. I met John online the summer after graduation, but we didn't meet in person until 3 years later, which is when we officially started dating. We were engaged 4 months later, and married another 4 months after that. I emigrated to the US a month after he proposed, spending 8 months together in Maryland before moving to St Louis and setting down roots.

Once I was legal to work in the US (in 2004), I temped for a few months, then got in with Edy's Ice Cream and stayed there until 2010, when I quit to be a SAHM. I still keep in touch with them, though! And of course, John and I started our family 3 years after we got married, having Eric in 2006 and Danny in 2008.

May 30th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you know anything about your birth mother or family? Don't answer if that is too personal!

What was your reason for becoming a SAHM?
May 30th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Do you know anything about your birth mother or family? Don't answer if that is too personal!
I do know some. When I was adopted, the province sent alone a package of information about my birth parents - mostly medical history, though they also let my bio-mom include something. I know they were both young (she was 19, and if memory serves I think he was 20?) and that my bio-mom had had 4 pregnancies that she aborted before deciding to carry me to term. (Talk about a reason to be thankful for life!) My bio-mom also included a letter to me and a locket that had been passed down from her grandma to her mom to her; she had to take the pictures out because it was a closed adoption, but she gave it to me in case she didn't have any other daughters. I plan to pass it to my daughter (if I have one) or a daughter-in-law.

What was your reason for becoming a SAHM?
Danny. I LOVED my job, but juggling it (which was including an increasing amount of travel) and all of his therapies and classes was just becoming impossible. I also wanted to be able to provide more support and take a more active role in his development; we had an awesome daycare, but they just weren't able to give him what he needed, especially as he was getting older and their classrooms became more "preschool" with a high student-to-teacher ratio. He'd either be a huge disruption or get left behind.

May 30th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Julka
Did your (adoptive) parents adopt any other children? Do you have any siblings?
What was your least favourite subject in school?
Did you go to college and if you did, what did you major at?
Have you ever travelled outside U.S and Canada? If not, where would you like to go?
How did your parents feel about you moving to another country?
What do you miss most about Canada?
May 30th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Did your (adoptive) parents adopt any other children? Do you have any siblings?
Nope, I'm an only child. They wanted more, but shortly after they adopted me, the laws changed, and as a result the cost went from free to thousands of dollars to adopt. My dad is a produce manager and my mom was a stay at home mom, and at the time, that was even more money than it is today; they felt like they would be taking money away from the child they did have in order to adopt another, and they decided not to.

What was your least favourite subject in school?
Social Studies. Yech! Rote memorization of dates, places, and people. Some of it was interesting stuff, but I am much better at working through things, understanding the reasoning behind them, than I am at just remembering them out of a book.

Did you go to college and if you did, what did you major at?
I went for a semester and a half pursuing a degree in education. Unfortunately, I was feeling some serious burn out from high school, and had some personal stuff going on... Honestly, I just hated it. I ended up dropping out and getting two certifications at the community college, one in web development and one in office administration.

Have you ever travelled outside U.S and Canada? If not, where would you like to go?
I have not, though I would LOVE to! There are plenty of things I'd love to see. My top 2 are probably a trip to Tokyo and a tour of the castles of Scotland.

How did your parents feel about you moving to another country?
They did a very good job of hiding what they felt, LOL. I'm sure they were pretty upset (I mean, their only child, taking off for the other side of the continent?), and I think at the beginning they thought I was absolutely bonkers. For nearly a year afterward, every time I talked to my mom, she asked me if I was happy and was sure this was what I wanted.

What do you miss most about Canada?
Hm. Well, the obvious answer is seeing my parents more than once every 2-3 years, LOL. Putting that aside, I think what I miss the most is all of the different festivals in Edmonton over the summer. There's a Fringe festival with lots of indy theater, a street performers festival that is just a blast, the X or whatever they re-named Klondike Days to with the big parade and all the rides and the expo with all the cool dealers and concerts... I really want to make it back one year for the summer.

...I just realized I'm not supposed to be answering these until Thursday. I FAIL at my own game.

May 30th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Julka
I actually prefer when people answer these right away

I totally get the college thing. I went to a (community) college hoping to finish a 3-year Accounting & Finance diploma program, then transfer to university and do another 2 years or so and get my bachelor's degree in Accounting. But after starting, I was like, "Blah... what is this crap?" LOL. So I transferred to a 2-year Accounting program and (mostly) happily graduated from there. It did get me my first full-time Accounting & Office Admin. job, BUT I kinda regret not just getting one of those speedy certification things in Bookkeeping and Office Admin. So I getcha.

Do you and John get to get out much (kids-free)? Where do you ideally like to go?
Are you close to your in-laws?
What's DH's favorite meal that you cook?
May 31st, 2011, 05:58 AM
Yeah, I thought about a longer program, but I was afraid I'd have the same problem with it as the short one. It certainly doesn't carry enough weight, but it plus my skills (especially computer skills) have been more than enough to get me in for interviews. Of course, now the job market down here seems to be putting more and more weight on having a degree... I can only hope that, when I'm ready to go back to work, my experience and references will be enough to bridge the gap.

Do you and John get to get out much (kids-free)? Where do you ideally like to go?
Sort of. Every couple of weeks, John takes a half day on Friday and is home around 11:30-12... We'll go out for a quick lunch just the two of us before having to pick the boys up from school. We have ZERO family in town, so there's not really anyone to watch the boys without paying for a sitter. We used to love going to the movies together, and once or twice a year we'll swallow the babysitting bill and go do it, typically for ones we REALLY want to see (like the Harry Potter movies)

Are you close to your in-laws?
It's hard to be with as far away as they live. My family is further, but my inlaws are all in Kansas, Nebraska, and Texas, so we only see them a handful of times a year. When we do get together, we get along great! I'm lucky to have a solid relationship with them, and I wish they lived closed, especially my siblings-in-law.

What's DH's favorite meal that you cook?
Honestly, I'm not sure. I've asked a couple times and he usually refuses to answer; I have no idea why. I make a casserole with rice noodles, cottage cheese, ground beef, and tomato sauce (plus some other stuff) that I know he really likes, and he always goes back for seconds of my lasagna.

May 31st, 2011, 06:48 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You've probably answered this in the past, but since you worked at Edy's, what's your favorite ice cream flavor? Do you now only purchase Edy's?
What is your favorite book? Do you have a favorite genre that you gravitate toward?
I know you didn't have a formal wedding, but do you have any pics from the day you & your DH tied the knot?

May 31st, 2011, 07:25 AM
MommyToCooper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When did you join JM?

Did you know the genders of your boys before having them?

Any pets?
May 31st, 2011, 07:45 AM
You've probably answered this in the past, but since you worked at Edy's, what's your favorite ice cream flavor? Do you now only purchase Edy's?
My favorite is Rocky Road - yummm! Only the Edy's kind though, the others are fakers, LOL. I do sometimes buy a different brand, if there is a particular flavor they have that Edy's doesn't - like I have a half-eaten carton of Breyer's Snickers ice cream in my freezer, OMG YUM - but I try to stick to Edy's and their other brands (Nestle novelties, Haagen-Dazs, Skinny Cow) as much as possible.

What is your favorite book? Do you have a favorite genre that you gravitate toward?
My all-time favorite is The Season of Passage by Christopher Pike. It's the only book I've gone back and read like 10 times, and I always find something new in it! I tend to gravitate toward fantasy as a genre (though ironically, Season of Passage isn't fantasy!), more traditional fantasy than urban fantasy, though I'll read both. Heck, I'll read most anything.

I know you didn't have a formal wedding, but do you have any pics from the day you & your DH tied the knot?
Actually...no. LOL. It was just the two of us, with no friends in town (DH was on the road for work), so we didn't have anyone available TO take pictures. I kind of regret not asking the JP to take one or something, but not much I can do about that now. We made a point of getting one of us together on our honeymoon, though... I'll have to dig that out!

When did you join JM?
Mid-August of 2006. I found JM surfing at work when I was particularly distracted with being about 7-8 months pregnant. I'd never enjoyed forums before, though, so I just lurked for a few months before caving and joining at 2am while up with a teeny-tiny Eric.

Did you know the genders of your boys before having them?
Yep. I sometimes debate letting the next one be a surprise, but I doubt I will.

Any pets?
2 cats! We have a boy and a girl; Ralph (the boy) has been John's cat forever, and Tippy (the girl) started as my grandmother's cat, then when my grandma passed away, I cajoled my parents into adopting her. When I moved out, they told me I had to take her with me, which I didn't mind at all! They are both over 20 years old at this point and still quite healthy.

May 31st, 2011, 08:12 AM
20 facts!

01. I am very particular about silly little things, like making sure the velcro on shoes is lined up right, or making sure numbered likes line up properly. It's not to the point of OCD, but there is definitely a tendency there!

02. My parents got the call saying they could come in and adopt me on my (adoptive) mother's birthday! Talk about the best birthday present ever for her.

03. I started singing in choirs in ninth grade, and continued doing so until I had kids. Then, since I was working, I didn't feel like spending even MORE time away from them... I hope to get back into it someday.

04. I write, or at least I used to, and I want to. Through junior high, high school, and a few years after, I wrote novels and short stories - fantasy and sci-fi. I ran out of time for it when I had kids, and have recently been getting back into it. I hope, one day, to at least try to publish something other than the odd short story.

05. I HAVE to have some kind of blanket to sleep, no matter how hot or cold I am.

06. I had to have a spinal tap when I was 6 and in the hospital with meningitis. I have been absolutely terrified of needles since then.

07. My husband is the first (and only) person I have ever kissed. I was a late bloomer, and not exactly popular with the guys.

08. I don't wear make up - never have.

09. I love to watch anime, though I don't get to very often since it's so dang expensive to buy!

10. Growing up, even in college, I had no plans of getting married and having kids. John actually had to convince me we should have kids - and now I can't imagine life without them.

11. My favorite foods are strawberries, sharp cheddar cheese, and dill pickles...not together, though!!

12. I never went on vacations as a kid. My dad never could get that much time off work - he could barely get a couple days in a row - and we just didn't have the money for travel.

13. I LOVE sour foods - and can't handle spicy at all.

14. I love to go to the movies, but don't really have a favorite movie... I can only really watch a movie once, and then the magic is gone.

15. I worked in a library when I was in high school.

16. I love to bake! It brings back all sorts of childhood memories of making cookies and cakes and treats with my mom.

17. I'm a huge wimp when I'm sick. Everyone always makes fun of their DHs for being big babies - yeah, that's me.

18. As a kid, I was in and out of the hospital often because of croup. Every time I'd get a cold, I'd end up waking up in the middle of the night unable to breathe, and we'd have to rush to the hospital. I nearly died a few times. I'm terrified of my kids having the same problem.

19. I had Lasik done a couple years ago. Best investment I've ever made.

20. I'm totally ashamed of how much I'm obsessing over TTC this time around, LOL. The first time, I paid so little attention I was 6 weeks along before I realized. The second time, I was able to ignore it until time to test. This time, I'm charting and obsessing over every little thing. I wish I could go back to when I just ignored it all!

May 31st, 2011, 11:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsong View Post

19. I had Lasik done a couple years ago. Best investment I've ever made.
Oooh, tell me about this! Weren't you scared?

I got more obsessive about every baby we TTC as well... it's not just you!
May 31st, 2011, 11:35 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, I want to hear about Lasik too! My eye doctor just asked me the other week if I was interested and I am so freaked out by it, even though I'm sure I'd love the end result.

And I'm so glad to hear another woman say they're a wimp when they're sick! I am too! LOL

What is your favorite thing to bake?

May 31st, 2011, 04:59 PM
My favorite thing to bake... Well, there's two. I love the process of making sugar cookies (especially with the boys!), and I loooooooove to eat butter tarts, so I make them plenty too

As for Lasik, it took me quite a while to get up the courage. Then I finally booked it, and they scheduled it on Devin's first birthday...so of course I went in going "OMG! Surgery! Bad day! AHHH!" I went with the bladeless because there is NO way I'd be able to stay calm for the bladed one. It was a little weird when they were actually doing it; you have to stare at a dot, and I was SO freaked out that I'd glance away for half a second and blow up my eyeballs or something. It was just fine though, and fairly quick. I actually ended up having to go for 2 rounds, which they say is pretty common when you have a prescription as bad as mine was, but even after the first I could function without glasses... I just had trouble reading menus in fast food restaurants (like up on the wall a distance away) and a few other minor things like that. I went in 4 or 5 months later, got the second round (which I was still nervous for, but not nearly as much), and I've had nearly perfect vision since... I technically have a tiny prescription (I'm 25/20 instead of 20/20), but it doesn't make any difference to me. I can go swimming and see the boys' faces, I can see the clock in the morning first thing, it's AWESOME.

Last edited by quietsong; May 31st, 2011 at 05:02 PM.
June 1st, 2011, 11:10 AM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
I'm tardy to the party!

Here's a few...

Favorite song? Or favorite singer?

What's something you've always wanted to try but haven't?

Is there a food that you absolutely can't STAND?
June 3rd, 2011, 03:57 PM
Well, I think I've officially lost a bunch of my pictures, LOL. I'm hoping to find them tonight and post them, haha.

Favorite song? Or favorite singer?
I have a lot of favorites in different genres, but my all time is probably Amy Sky, especially the song "I Will Take Care of You." She has a version where her husband and daughter sing at parts, and OMG, it tears me up every time.

What's something you've always wanted to try but haven't?
This might not be exactly how you're thinking it, but since I can't think of anything extreme (because I'm a huge scaredy-cat!), I've always wanted to audition to be an anthem singer for sports events. Hockey would be my #1, but any of them really.

Is there a food that you absolutely can't STAND?
Tuna. OMG, YUCK. I can't even stand the SMELL of that stuff. I also can't handle mushrooms unless they're in teeny-tiny pieces and WELL cooked...aka, I pretty much can't stand them unless it's cream of mushroom, LOL. The texture just wigs me right out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search