Ben doesn't talk much...

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2011, 04:22 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
Do you think I should be worried? He'll be 18 months on the 26th of this month. He'll say, "Hi", "Bye", "Mama", "Dada", "Go." "No." but he's not putting 2 words together yet.

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!
rate 6/5/2014: 164 rate 6/23/2014: 165 14w5d

June 3rd, 2011, 04:47 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Isn't it 20words by two, same with two word sentences?
June 3rd, 2011, 05:08 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I just looked it up in my blog, and his doctor was looking for 20-30 words at 2 years. I also remember that Eric didn't start putting 2 words together until RIGHT before his second birthday. Eric said very little at 18 months, and (like most kids) he had a "language explosion" between 18 months and 24 months to get to that point. I wouldn't be worried at all right now, just wait and see what develops over the next 6 months. If he's still saying very, very little when his birthday comes around, then you might talk about it with your pedi.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
June 3rd, 2011, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsong View Post
I just looked it up in my blog, and his doctor was looking for 20-30 words at 2 years. I also remember that Eric didn't start putting 2 words together until RIGHT before his second birthday. Eric said very little at 18 months, and (like most kids) he had a "language explosion" between 18 months and 24 months to get to that point. I wouldn't be worried at all right now, just wait and see what develops over the next 6 months. If he's still saying very, very little when his birthday comes around, then you might talk about it with your pedi.
Thanks, Kel. I think it's really hard for me to wrap my head around...with Jack being Autistic and all, I'm afraid that Ben is too. Even if he's not shown any symptoms. I'm not used to have a typical child! lol

Does anyone know when Ben's next checkup should be? I think it's 18 months, DH says 2 years. I think I need to call his pedi. lol DH was the one who took him to his last checkup at 15 months, so I wasn't there to mentally ingrain the appt date in my head.

June 3rd, 2011, 06:10 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
it is 18 months.

Also for speaking, i think at 2 is when they want to hear 2 words together, and like everyone else said 20 or so words. But every baby is on their own schedule.

Charlie has been talking for 5 months, and can put two words together and is starting to sing songs, but Mackenzie didnt say more than 5 words until she was almost 23 months. But at the same time, Mackenzie was putting puzzles together super fast at 16 months and and 18 months charlie tries jamming any piece into any slot, he has no clue how to do it. All babies are different, i wouldnt even worry about what the books or doctors say is "right".
June 3rd, 2011, 06:20 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Check up at 18 months.

If you are worried, get him evaluated. Can't hurt!

June 3rd, 2011, 06:58 PM
I get it, Maria! If you didn't have Jack, I'd be with Heather saying it can't hurt to get him evaluated, but it sounds like he's right where he should be, and I know how easy it is to look for every little thing when you've got one with issues. Hugs!! Ditto to the 18 month appointment anyway, so you and your pedi can go over what milestones he should and shouldn't be hitting just to reassure you

June 3rd, 2011, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsong View Post
I get it, Maria! If you didn't have Jack, I'd be with Heather saying it can't hurt to get him evaluated, but it sounds like he's right where he should be, and I know how easy it is to look for every little thing when you've got one with issues. Hugs!! Ditto to the 18 month appointment anyway, so you and your pedi can go over what milestones he should and shouldn't be hitting just to reassure you
I'm so glad that you get it. It makes me feel better. lol
I feel bad for Ben because I'm constantly sizing him up with Jack...wondering if he's developing like his brother or.."normally". I'm going to call on Monday and make Ben's appt, just so I'll have it on the calendar.

June 3rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that happens whether you've got two typical kids, two special needs kids, or one of each. I'm always measuring Danny up to Eric. "Well, Eric did that at 15 months, and Danny's doing it at 3 years..." Yeah.

June 3rd, 2011, 08:20 PM
Turtle Bay's Avatar Super Mommy
I started Q in speech therapy when he was 2. Just over actually because they lost us in the system. Anyway...

At that point he virtually had NO vowel sounds. He could say mama, gan (which was the word for dad until about 6 months ago), and ju for juice. That's it.

My advice, as well as everyone else's (lol), is to have him evaluated as soon as they will allow it. With us, it was 2 years old. Can't hurt, right?

June 3rd, 2011, 08:24 PM
SheilaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to SheilaRN
Bella is right were Ben is right now. At first I was really worried but my Dr assured me she's perfectly fine.
June 4th, 2011, 06:57 AM
I do get it. I am constantly comparing M and S, though I tell myself not to. So for every single milestone, I have them to compare, and it is tough especially when 1 is not typical and the other is. For me, getting evaluated or talking to the ped is a reassurance. I know it's not for everyone, but I also think if I had an older one with special needs and I had the slightest worry (which I know I totally would b/c I know myself) I would want to get the younger evaluated to ease my mind or just to make sure. But that is me. It does sound like he is where he needs to be- which maybe you were just looking for reassurance? Which is totally fine.

June 4th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayandsofiasmommy View Post
I do get it. I am constantly comparing M and S, though I tell myself not to. So for every single milestone, I have them to compare, and it is tough especially when 1 is not typical and the other is. For me, getting evaluated or talking to the ped is a reassurance. I know it's not for everyone, but I also think if I had an older one with special needs and I had the slightest worry (which I know I totally would b/c I know myself) I would want to get the younger evaluated to ease my mind or just to make sure. But that is me. It does sound like he is where he needs to be- which maybe you were just looking for reassurance? Which is totally fine.
I'm not saying we won't get him evaluated at some point or another, I'm just confused by all the different variations of milestones...our first pedi was concerned when Jack was 18 months, our current one said t hat Ben was doing wonderfully at 15 months. When I look online I find a few different sites that say they should know 20 words by 2 and another that says they should be making 2 word sentences by 18 months. I also assume that I could be jumping the gun on being finicky about Ben's development...he's not 18 months and not yet anywhere near the 19 month mark (which would make his 18 month complete).

June 4th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Yes- there are lots of differing opinions out there. Makes it confusing. Trust your gut!

June 6th, 2011, 10:08 AM
bessie17's Avatar mommy2caden&adisyn
Adisyn is 16 months and doesn't put two words together. Caden didn't do this either until he was almost 2 years.. Almost meaning 22-24 months.

Even most of Adisyn's words are hard to understand... only I know what she is saying.. and that's because I'm mom

Don't worry sweetie!

Colleen, loving mother to Caden (4yrs; 04-17-2008) and Adisyn (2yr; 01-14-2010)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search