Potty training and lying

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Nicandab's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How's it going?

Brianna had been doing well.. and then regressed when Wyatt was born. Now, its hit or miss. Some days are great days, and she keeps her pull up dry, and some days she just doesn't seem like she wants to bother. She TELLS us normally when she has to go potty. To pee, anyway... She has pooped in the potty several times but not with any consistency.

I thought it was her being distracted, but sunday we went to the pool and she told us every single time she had to go, AND pooped in the potty. And she was SO excited and distracted that day.

she lies about pooping in her pull up, too. We'll ask and she'll tell us no. We've explained over and over again to her the concept of lying (for learning by repetition, not while we're angry).. She still does it, down to telling the babysitter that Dallas gave her medicine in the morning (he hadn't) and that she pooped on the floor in her room (she never has!). We reinforce the lying with timeouts. but she still lies.

her pull ups have princesses on them, and she delights in telling even perfect strangers that she doesn't pee on the princesses (THAT'S gotten me some looks).

I get her being distracted, and excited about random things and forgetting to pee. How do I move past that?

AND.. she gets up, goes into the corner, and poops. she's moving away from where she normally sits to go poop. Why can't she go to the potty?

Help!!! please?

June 7th, 2011, 09:33 AM
DonovinsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She will do when she is ready. D did the same thing and then one day it just clicked. But there are still days that he has accidents (he does it knowing he has underwear on but just doesn't take the time) But I found once I stopped getting upset/bothered by him doing it he started going 98% of the time in the potty.

The lying thing is her age and I wouldn't stress to much about it. Almost all kids this age do it. I think the more they get reactions from it the more kids like to do it. Plus they're 3-they are trying to distinguish between pretend/make believe and reality.
June 7th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Julka
What if you get her undies with princesses on them? Would she maybe not want to pee in them either?

The lying thing, I agree with Sarah it's normal. I honestly think it's more of the "making stuff up" vs. lying. Veronika would tell my mom she falls off her twin bed where in fact she NEVER fell since we got them the twins in March, and then of course my mom goes on a rant about us needing those rail things they sell, where we clearly don't.

Veronika has been day & night trained for close to a year now. She regressed once about 3 months ago and we did a reward-chart for 2 weeks and she was back to normal.
June 7th, 2011, 12:14 PM
KellersMom517's Avatar Emily-Mom to Keller Henry
Keller has regressed a little just recently. He doesn't want to take the time to go on the potty - I think he is trying to get some attention and be a little babyish. Yesterday he was doing his little potty shuffle that told me he had to go, but when I suggested it he said he didn't. Not 1 minute later he YELLS "I have to peeeeee" as he starts peeing all over the chair and floor. He knows how, he's just being stubborn. I am leaving him naked while we're home - and he doesn't have accidents when we're out (convenient huh?). So we're just kinda starting where he learned from the beginning.

Isla 10/27/10 and Keller 4/26/08
June 7th, 2011, 08:17 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think "lying" is pretty common at this age. And I think it is sometimes either wishful thinking (like when mine say they went to Seaworld) or just b/c it is that stage of development. Do the time outs work for lying?

As for potty training- WE HAVE HAD A BREAKTHROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The girls are pretty much potty trained!!!! Now, Maya doesn't want to take the time to sit on the potty and will hold it a LONG time. But if I back off and let her be, she will go on her own. They won't poop on the potty yet though. I really thought they'd be at least 4 before they would train!

June 7th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Carrie has been trained for three or four months now...it is so nice to only have one in diapers. I told dh "just two more years!"

I'd just stick her in panties....none of mine would train as long as they had the pull-ups.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search