Timmy had to get his front teeth removed Today

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2011, 12:12 PM
*Mommie2Timmy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Mommie2Timmy*
I don't know if anyone remembers over a year ago Timmy hit his mouth on the mantle and really whacked his top front teeth. We took him to a pediatric dentist right away, but there wasn't much they could do since we can't tell right away if he had killed them... Fast forward 6/8 months... we noticed an abscess forming on his gums and figured it was time to get things checked again.

Sure enough he had killed at least one of his front teeth. But we were not fond of the approach the dentist wanted to take (Mini root canal, no sedation, minimal numbing, strap him down) so we went in search of another opinion, which was just to bond the front of the teeth and treat with more antibiotics as needed... but he needed to be older to be able to sit longer...

Still didn't sit right with me, but we just decided to wait it out. The abscess had been resolved with antibiotics so we felt the immediate issue was dealt with.

This spring we noticed significant discoloration happening and decided to go and get yet one more opinion. And it was the opinion I knew was coming eventually, but was kinda dreading. They needed to be removed. There was obvious significant damage to them and if the infection were to come back and get bad enough we could be talking damage to the adult teeth still in the gums.

But the way that that dentist wanted to do it was by putting him under with general anesthesia and doing it in an OR. We were okay with this, but our insurance would not cover the Surgicenter as a dental procedure place sooo we needed to find yet another dentist.

We did, and had an appointment today. We were just expecting it to be a consultation, so I went by myself with Timmy.

The dentist look at his teeth, and then got some x-rays. Before the x-rays were even ready to be read, he was in there asking if I was okay with getting those teeth out today. I was a bit taken aback, but I was okay with it!

I'll spare ya'll the details but lets just say it was more along the lines of an adult extraction! It was a bit horrifying, and I did have to hold him down, but it was over in less than 15 minutes. I'm Pretty sure the wort part was getting the shots of Novacaine!! He was pretty upset for a while afterwards, and even driving home I had to hold his hand (yes while driving) to help calm him down for a good bit... But then I stopped at Wawa and got him a fudgesicle, and all was good in the world again!!

I am glad this whole ordeal is over and done with finally!!!

Here are some pics...

You can tell the tooth is discolored here...

Seriously Pissed off!!

Getting Better!!

What?! Something was wrong with me 5 minutes ago?!

Laura ~ Tim ~ Timmy

June 7th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
I saw the pic on FB and was so sad for him! Now that you mention it again, I do recall the accident and the issue with the damage to the teeth. Poor Timmy, the whole procedure sounds awful, but it also sounds like he was a real trooper!

Is there any other work required? Will anything be put in the gap temporarily or do you just wait for adult teeth now?

June 7th, 2011, 12:44 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
You are one tough momma! Wow Poor guy.

Are there any concerns about this affecting his speech or how his adult teeth will grow in?
June 7th, 2011, 01:16 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ouch! Poor guy!

His little fist and expression when holding the Popsicle is soooooo cute.

June 7th, 2011, 01:46 PM
~Devon~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Devon~
Yikes!! Glad they are out now and won't cause damage to the adult teeth.
June 7th, 2011, 01:49 PM
LisaMarie!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
poor little guy... that looks painful. Glad you got it taken care of.

<
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

June 7th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Well 6 hours later and you could never tell what happened to him earlier (except for the large gap in his mouth...) he is bouncing off the walls and acting 100% normal, not to mention he hasn't had any pain meds so far (not for lack of trying, he just isn't fond of me sticking the syringe in his mouth right now... wonder why...)

They indicated there could be a small issue with his speech, primarily with the "St" sound, and that a denture could be made for him. I don't think it's a huge issue, but we will ask the speech therapist next week when we go to see her for his eval (not for this, for other reasons)

As for adult teeth growth, something was breifly mentioned, but it seems more a watch and wait type deal as opposed to do immediate interventions. And then it would be some sort of spacers to ensure they are going to go into the right spots.

I just hope none of you have to go through this, I just keep hearing him screaming and wish I never had to put him through it! But as I said he is no worse for the wear now, its just me that is still a bit upset!

Laura ~ Tim ~ Timmy

June 7th, 2011, 05:03 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Wow that sounds traumatic. There is no way I could have done that. Poor guy.
June 7th, 2011, 07:19 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I hate that he was so upset by the removal process! It sounds kind of like how my wisdom teeth we taken out. That freaked me out as a 17 year old, i can't imagine how a 3 year old would take it
June 7th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenpie View Post
Wow that sounds traumatic. There is no way I could have done that. Poor guy.

I wanted to burst out crying, but I held it together for Timmy. If anything ever has to be done like this again I will be making Tim do it. I would have much preferred the have him knocked out method, but thanks to insurance we didn't have much of a choice not to mention if we let it go any longer and he ended up with issues with his adult teeth I'd feel so guilty!!

Guess this is the type of stuff they never warn ya about before becoming parents!

Laura ~ Tim ~ Timmy

June 7th, 2011, 08:10 PM
GirliMumi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Laura I`m so sorry! Those first pics broke my heart! Poor guy and Mama. So glad he is feeling better!!! Allie had an accident in the winter with her mouth and I had to hold her down too so I somewhat feel your pain, not as bad though. Its just a horrifying scream that I don`t wish on anyone.

He is still cute as a button though and has a tough boy story to tell on the playground now
June 8th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Wow! Makes me want to bug the dentist more about Thomas' discolored tooth. (From a nice fall in the bathroom...)

Gotta say, the pictures of them out, makes him look more like a 5-6 year old!

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
June 8th, 2011, 01:48 PM
lilaculpepper's Avatar Rebel with Good Cause
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirliMumi View Post
Those first pics broke my heart!
You took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to say the exact same thing.
I had all 4 wisdom teeth extracted when I was 20. They put me under, thank goodness, and I spent the weekend with my parents so my mom kept me good and doped up the whole time. I never felt a thing. Sure wish they could do that with our LOs.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search