Eye crossing.......

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2011, 01:58 PM
IneedCoffee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Please tell me this is common and not a possible issue??
She does it randomly, mostly when she is talking to me at a distance. Her relatives noticed this as well over the weekend.. and at one point my mother told me she noticed only one eye crossed and the other did not. It's not something she does when she is goofing off... just during normal activity.
I have made an appointment with her pedi for Thursday. She wants to see her and "rule out anything more than esotropia or other eye issues" then will refer her over to a pediatric ophthalmologist. Very nervous!!!!

My Blog
June 7th, 2011, 02:08 PM
~Devon~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Devon~
I'm sorry, I don't know. But I can say that when I'm dazing or daydreaming I will go cross eyed. (hugs) I'm sure everything will come back ok.
June 7th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
I don't know much on this one either. I think I remember reading somewhere that cross eyedness can be a sign of vision problems, in which case glasses would fix the problem. It sounds like it's something pretty new for her and not something she's doing all the time which means my guess is you're likely catching this very early. I think you only really will run into issues if you don't get it treated for a long time, then I imagine there could be muscular damage and other not so fun stuff.

KUP and fingers crossed that it's only a minor thing.

June 7th, 2011, 03:51 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Kaija was tested for it at 18 months. Her right eye looked like it was crossed every now and then for just a brief second. I had noticed it before her 15 month check up but forgot to mention it to her Dr. Then as we were about to leave the Dr. saw her do it. Everything came out fine for her, she just has a very wide and flat bridge to her nose that makes it look like she's crossing sometimes. The eye Dr. was a nightmare, but that was more making an 18 month old in a new place with lots of fun looking things sit still in a chair. The Dr. was great really. But now I'm worried about the way she points at things... I may take her back.

I hope it's nothing serious and your appointment goes well!
June 8th, 2011, 07:22 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
KUP on this! Lily only crosses her eyes to be silly so i have no experience with it otherwise
June 8th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I tried a few different times to get her to cross them for me yesterday. She can't. She looks around and tries, but doesn't seem to even know how to cross them on command. I would cross mine and act goofy and ask her to do crazy eyes with me.. and nothing. It's just not a thing she can do yet I guess.. except involuntarily.

My Blog
June 8th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I cancelled the appt. for tomorrow. I am booking an appointment with a pedi ophthalmologist for next week. I am not going to send her to the MD first.. so they can test her for who knows what before the eyes are ruled out. I figure we should start with something more obvious first.. then go internal after the eyes are checked.

My Blog
June 8th, 2011, 10:52 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
An opthamologist should be the best bet. Walter had a drooping eyelid and we went to his general doctor, and he didn't know what to say aside from send him to an opthamologist or neurologist. The eye dr was able to dilate his pupils and look in to his brain/optic nerve to rule out brain tumors, etc. Everything checked out fine. So yes, I think you made the right move. A general dr would have referred you to an eye doctor anyway and you would have wasted your time.
June 8th, 2011, 11:01 AM
sleepybear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're kind of dealing with the same thing. Haley's doesn't really cross... just floats off the wrong way sometimes. I have a couple of pictures of it happening and showed the pediatrician. She tested a bit with her light, and then suggested we see the pediatric opthamologist. So we'll get to do that in a couple weeks. I'm trying not to worry, assuming it's just a bit of a lazy eye.

Keep us posted! I'm interested to see what they say about Meg.

June 9th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks ladies. This has me all freaked out.
I just thought I was booking an appointment for next week... their next available is August 24th. I *guess* this isn't a horrible situation.. but I feel helpless. I tried one other.. and they got me in for July 21st.

I guess we just watch and wait now. Waiting 2 months... I sure hope it is just eye related.

My Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search