Kindergarten readiness

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2011, 12:46 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
I remember, back in the day, kids learned how to write letters and their name IN Kindergarten.

Now they are learning fractions in first grade and algebra by 3rd.
June 10th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
^^^ See now, I always thought that school was easier now and not as tough. Although, I think that may be more the case in higher grades than the lower ones.

June 10th, 2011, 03:18 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I think there was some point in between kindergarten and first grade where you had to magically learn to read by yourself. I know we did the alphabet in kindergarten but I remember my mom being really stressed that I had no interest in learning how to read the summer before first. By first we were expected to read, write sentences, and do basic addition and subtraction. Fractions showed up for me in second grade.

By high school my mother reminded me that they made the SATs easier than when she was in school and she didn't know why I couldn't get a 1400 like she did.
June 10th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to madelynsmomma
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCrafty View Post
We'e missing the parts of the book (page, author, etc). What scares me the most is looking at the 1-2 year old list. I know Abri is just shy of 14 months, but she can't really do anything on that list yet. I am hoping that as the months go on, she will get better.

Olivia will be a year old next month, and she is way behind on the cognitive/social aspects of the birth-12 month list. I mean, I knew that already, but seeing it all written out makes it super obvious just how behind she is.

June 10th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
when Thomas started K this year, and they told me that by the end of the year he would be reading and doing basic math-addition, subtraction, time on a real clock, money/coins, fractions, and multiples of 2, 5, and 10....

I did not believe it could happen! He knew his letters and how to write them before school, but no clue how to put it all together.

He has learned a TON this year. Which in turn is teaching Collin earlier than Thomas learned, despite him being home.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
June 10th, 2011, 08:23 PM
*Mommie2Timmy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Mommie2Timmy*
There are quite a few things on that list that Timmy cannot do yet, but I am not worried about it. He is 3, and has 2 years til kindergarten. He did great in Pre-school this year, and had great reports from his teacher to be what they consider "on-track" for his age. His school watches for kindergarten readiness, so if he was behind in an area they would bring it to our attention.

I am not going to worry about things like this too much right now, he is 3, he needs to enjoy being a kid. Not to mention this list is much different than the list that my sitter showed me for our school district (her oldest daughter was in Kindergarten this past year) His preschool is within the school district he will be attending, so they follow their guidelines for kindergarten.

Laura ~ Tim ~ Timmy

June 11th, 2011, 01:11 PM
likelooptid's Avatar ~Ramah~
Send a message via AIM to likelooptid Send a message via Yahoo to likelooptid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaDucks View Post
OMG, Thomas will be in 1st grade next year.
i KNOW - I was just thinking that about Kendall!!1

I think CAsey is pretty good with most of that - We need to work on her numbers and writing her letters but since she be getting into kindergarten for a few years I think we're good. I think if most of our kids are already performing at the K level - that is pretty impressive!
June 13th, 2011, 11:48 AM
IneedCoffee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I remember learning my letters in Kindergarten.. and distinctly remember standing at a blackboard for an hour practicing my Fs because I wrote them backwards.. while all my classmates played. (Twas the French coming out in me early in life )

I think our kiddos are much more smart than we were at this age. They are awesome aren't they?

My Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search