What an afternoon! (warning, long..)

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 9th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
It was a crazy, out of body type of afternoon. I still don't feel like I was even there.

I babysat for my BFF today, her almost 2 year old.... anyway...

After my bff got back to pick her son up and our olders ones got out of school we decided to go to the splash pad (so happy, yet sad I forgot my camera and my phone is dead...)

The kids were having a blast. Bailey kept running into the shooting water, and trying to drink it. We ran into one of Thomas' old preschool buddies and her mom and sister. The sister disappeared. 3 years old and actually crossed the street to go to the beach/playground. #1 reason I never go to that splash pad.. I'll take my over guarded, fenced in one in a crappy town any day, thank you very much.

Anyway, thanks to me doing my every 60 second head count, she wasn't gone for more than a minute when I realized we were one child short. Place was packed too.. The mom didn't want to leave the spot, in case she came back, but didn't want to just sit there either... After Thomas getting lost last Christmas, I was panicking.. After not even another whole minute passed, I grabbed the older girl and had her stand where her mother was and told the mom to branch out, I'd stay with her stuff and daughter. She did another sweep with her eyes and saw her climbing up the playscape across the street. 3 years old..
So grateful it ended well and was only 3-5 minutes... All the kid could say was "but mommy I looked both ways"

Yet, I'm the one made fun of for stopping talking every minute to count the kids, or the one to walk off in the middle of a conversation to keep my kids close. Yep, I am that helicopter parent, and I am not ashamed.

They took off after that, obviously the mom was super upset. The kids are still running through the water when the sky got super dark, and we heard some thunder. Of course, we said it was time to go. I'm starting to panic since I am just that afraid of storms.. Trying to figure out if I should get the kids changed there or in the car or wait until we get home. I get them all into the van, dry them off, and get them changed. my BFF does the same in her car with her two. Sky is even darker, yet moving all around like I've never seen before. Wind was crazy, thunder, lightening, no rain. My BFF asked me if we should just go to McD's to let them play since our time got cut short and she didn't want me to drive all the way across town as panicky as I was.

So we leave. By the time I got half way to McD's it's pouring, people are driving very cautiously, I'm freaking out more and more with each and ever clap of thunder and lightening strike.

As I turned onto the street McD's is on, I can't see. The rain is side ways, my wipers are as fast as they can go and all I could see was the tail lights on the car in front of me. Finally two car lengths away from Mcdonalds I'm calming down. Still pouring but I can see better. Then there is a huge PURPLE lightening strike with a loud bang. I jumped, screamed like I was being killed, nearly gave the kids a heart attack......

Finally we park, got lucky and were right across from the entrance, but the rain is not letting up, the lightening is coming like crazy. All I could think was I wanted to get inside. I didn't care how safe people say the car is, I wanted inside. I grab Bailey on one hip, Collin on the other, diaper bag on my back and hang towels over our head and made a run for it. The 10 ft we ran from the van to the McD's door, was all it took for us to be soaked... When we all walked into Mcdonalds the stares we got were rather hilarious. The kids go play, BFF orders food, I'm watching the kids and looking out the windows just struggling to breath...

Finally it calmed down, kids were all happy, yet exhausted.
Driving home, was calm except the occasional thunder and lightening...
Kids are all in bed now, sound asleep, but man. I am still shaken up..

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate thunderstorms?????

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
June 9th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
What a day!!

I'm usually not afraid of storms, but the one we had here on Tuesday night was so intense it had me up and feeling anxious. It was 45 minutes of constant, non-stop sheet lightning that was so bright it was hurting my eyes. So I can understand a little of the anxiety you were feeling.

As for the missing 3 yr old, thankfully that ended so quickly and happily. I get pretty uptight when we're in a really busy park. I need to have a visual on Aidan at all times and I don't care how overbearing that makes me look because I feel physically ill to my stomach if I do lose visual on him for even a few seconds.

June 10th, 2011, 03:21 AM
LisaMarie!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry, but had to laugh at how scared you are about storms. I hate driving in rain like that not scared. I think Aiden would be scared so either way I would have to be strong and not let him know if I was scared.

I"m just like you. I have to keep an eye on my boys at all times and its hard with two since they like to go in different direction. Aiden doesn't go very far. Preston isn't scared of anything and will leave us.

<
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

June 10th, 2011, 06:57 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have survived my drive home a few weeks ago then!! Yikes! I'm still kind of shaken up from it, actually. I'm not going to be driving in rain for a while if I don't have to. Although for the most part I'm not afraid of storms or driving in them. I'm just freaked that that was the line of storms that destroyed Joplin

As for the little girl - WHAT!?! Her mom wasn't that worried? WTH!? We were at a splash pad on Wednesday and my friend kept doing the head count. It was nice. Especially when I couldn't find Kaija and she was 5 ft away But I was the one who constantly had my eyes on the kids and had to tell her when her kids rab off......
June 10th, 2011, 07:39 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
I LOVE thunderstorms! I kept Maddie up to watch a good one roll in last night.

Glad the little girl is OK!
June 10th, 2011, 08:19 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I am so okay with being that helicopter mom. At least it means that you always know where your kids are in situations like that. I am not a fan of driving in bad storms either!
June 10th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, what a day you had! I am a freak when it comes to looking for kids too and am like 2 ft from my kids at all times ... call me a hovering me, but I don't care, lol! Glad that turned out ok!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search