UTI?

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 15th, 2011, 07:08 AM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
What are symptoms of a UTI in 3 year olds?

I ask because yesterday Maddie started whining when going potty saying that her "pee pee is hot" and her pee pee is 'angry'. I put a wet cool cloth on there in case it was irritation and she said it felt good, but she complained again this morning. I picked up a thing of cranberry juice for her to drink at daycare today. I hear the tests for UTI's in kids this age is awful - or is it better now that they can pee on the potty? I'm in a 'wait and see' pattern but I'm not sure what else I should be looking for.

Any advice?

June 15th, 2011, 07:28 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I've never dealt with it before, but my mom said that my sister once had a UTI at this age and she kept having small accidents in her panties after being potty trained for a while. I have heard that testing involves a catheter and that isn't pleasant
June 15th, 2011, 07:46 AM
*Mommie2Timmy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Mommie2Timmy*
I'd definitely not ignore it, as it really sounds like something is going on. And this is prime UTI season... Higher Temps = More perspiration, and unless that more than usually water loss is compensated for urine is more concentrated and a better breading ground for bacteria. Add that to increased sweating and possibilities for bacteria to access the urethra (wet bathing suits can be a bacteria breading ground heaven!) and there is definitely an increased chance at getting a UTI.

Does her urine have an unusual odor to it at all? Or a cloudy look? those can be tell tale signs as well, but might not be evident at the beginning of the infection.
If the toilet dilutes her urine too much too tell if it has an odor or is cloudy than you could always put a bowl or a small bucket (clean) to catch her urine to see it concentrated.

If she will pee into that, than the test for her shouldn't be to bad as they *should* be able to get a sample from a clean catch urine catch. You would have to help her, and I am sure you have to do them before (clean area around Urethra from front to back with a new wipe each time, then start the urine stream for a few seconds, then start again and collect from the 2nd stream)

Depending upon your Drs office they may be able to "dip" her urine and get a basic +/- result and then send the rest of her sample to the lab to see what kind of bacteria it is. There are also At home test strips/kits such Vagisil Screening Kit or AZO UTI test strips, Though I don't know where they may be available in your area. It is the same thing they would do when they "dip" her urine in a drs office.

Keep a close eye on it, and definitely keep her fluid intake up! If it is still causing issues this evening or tomorrow morning I would get into the dr! The sooner you catch it the less chance it has to spread and causes further infection along the urinary tract!

Hope she is feeling better!

ETA: it is true, if they cannot get a urine sample the traditional "catch" way then the next way is to straight cath her, which is just a small catheter inserted to empty the bladder and get urine. If she is really good about peeing in the potty and you feel she would pee into a cup (with your assistance ) I would push for this method if possible!! Cathing does not feel good no matter how good the nurse who does it is! Not to mention, even though it is done under sterile technique, you are introducing a foreign object into the bladder. And yes they use betadine to disinfect the area, but there is no guarantee that it kills everything. Any time you catheterize someone, you are risking an infection. Not trying to scare you, really! Just letting you know that you might have other options and to not let them tell you that it is the only option! I would HATE to have you go through a cathing unnecessarily!

Laura ~ Tim ~ Timmy

Last edited by *Mommie2Timmy*; June 15th, 2011 at 07:59 AM.
June 15th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Ok Thanks!

June 15th, 2011, 08:40 AM
*~*SnowHibiscus*~*'s Avatar I ♥ my girls!
Kayla had one a couple of months ago. Testing was fine, she just had to pee in a cup. Even when she was little they just taped a special bag to her to catch the pee and sent us to lunch. Once she finally peed, we took the bag back to the doctor's office. Never needed a catheter.

She was having small accidents, using the bathroom a lot and said it hurt when she peed.

I would take her to the doc and have her checked out. Those things can get ugly.

June 15th, 2011, 08:43 AM
She's been randomly saying she doesn't feel good alot lately, I don't know if she's faking b/c it's always 'candy will make me feel better" or a treat, snack, etc. She usually does it when she's bored, not getting what she wants, wants to stop eating dinner, doesn't want to go to bed....

But "my pee pee is HOT!" is a new one. She was telling everyone, even the check out lady when I got her juice this morning. *Embarassing*

June 15th, 2011, 08:48 AM
*~*SnowHibiscus*~*'s Avatar I ♥ my girls!
Kayla says she doesn't feel good all.the.time. And yeah, she also wants candy when she doesn't feel good. Cause her tummy isn't full. Well eat FOOD kid!

June 15th, 2011, 08:55 AM
IneedCoffee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope she is ok! Those things suck.. I am just getting over one myself.

My Blog
June 15th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to madelynsmomma
Madelyn had to get tested for a uti not that long ago, and they cathed her. Honestly it was super easy and she didn't care really at all. They layed her down, gave her a sucker and while they were unwrapping the sucker another nurse did the cath. She wiggled a little but never complained of it hurting. So even if they do want to cath her, I would still get it checked out. Hopefully the juice will have done the trick today though.

June 15th, 2011, 07:42 PM
.Michelle.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would get her checked out just incase. UTI's hurt. :-(

June 16th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Well she guzzled 2 sippy cups of cranberry juice at daycare yesterday and never complained once, and seems totally fine. Pee Pee is hot LOL I have no idea. She's a big faker for attention. She kept saying the berry juice made her feel better.

So it goes.

Thanks for the advice!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search