extreme water phobia

Forum: 2008 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2008 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2011, 05:34 AM
Jilly*bean's Avatar DomesticDivaMusings.com
It seems like out of nowhere Paddy has developed this massive phobia of getting water in his eyes whenever I wash his hair. So much so that he screams bloody murder whenever I try to do so... hence now the fact that I only bathe the kid every 3 days. I've heard about kids going through this, but I was wondering if anyone else here is dealing with this problem. He seriously screams so loudly that he starts hyperventilating.
August 23rd, 2011, 08:35 AM
Taramomof3's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Have you tried goggles?? A boy I used to baby sit (was really good friends with his mom) was like this it acually burned when the water touched his eyes, did with his mom too which is how we came to that conclusion was just a sencitivy to water on the eyes is all it was but he would freak and nearly make himself passout everytime we had to rince his head so she bought him his own pair of goggles to wear in the bathtub and it helped alot! deffinatly made bathtime more enjoyable.

Brianna Eve (09/12/09) Dillan Zarek (07/20/06) Chase Alexander (10/04/08)

August 23rd, 2011, 10:54 AM
keekopeeko's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Goggles is a great idea! EVA.. OMG!! she was FINE in the water and with baths.. she was even better than Layla! and then right around May or June (maybe longer?)... she started FLIPPING out about baths! and this WHOLE summer has been a nightmare about water! if someone is in the kiddie pool she wants to put on her swim suit but will NOT get in the water! AAAND will scream bloody murder and want to put on a different bathing suit if she gets a TINY bit splashed!! its been ridiculous! She WILL get in the water if she can get her whole body in and play that way.. but if there are waves.. forget it.. if its a sprinkler, forget it.. a BATH tub, forget it... She showers with her daddy most of the time.. or we force her to take a bath and deal with the screams.. she probably bathes once a week.. if that..

So yeh.. sorry to go off on my own rant but i am TOTALLY right there !!

~Em

August 23rd, 2011, 11:08 AM
itsmemaggi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to itsmemaggi Send a message via MSN to itsmemaggi
Jenna freaks out, too. I usually make Dave do bathtime because she screams so much. We let her hold a washcloth over her eyes, and she knows to put her head back, but she's usually too nuts to listen and do it. Last night I bathed her and she did really well. I was surprised.

Thank you,
PinkCuppycakeSprinkles, for my beautiful siggy!!

August 23rd, 2011, 02:52 PM
LaurKnotter's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh my gosh, Aide has just started doing this too. He was totally fine with getting his hair washed, we would tell him to do swimmy face where he closes his eyes and it was no biggie. Now he screams and cries and absolutely hates taking a bath when he used to love it. I might try the goggles.
August 23rd, 2011, 06:16 PM
New Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah.

For the last while now.

I just have Nora cover her eyes with a washcloth and she's fine.
August 23rd, 2011, 08:09 PM
Krazieblond1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kaden is terrified of getting water on top of his head, so much, that we were at Disney a few days ago with my friend and her kids, and there was a HUGE rainstorm, and we let the kids run out in Liberty Square to play in the rain (hey, there was no lightning, just rain, and they were the ONLY ONES out there) and the 2 older kids, who Kaden adores, were running around and having fun, and Kaden walked out to go splash, and flipped the h3ll out, screaming bloody murder. He gets in the shower with us every day, but we only wash his hair every few days cause he flips out, so we have to shower ambush him

August 29th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes. My DH will pour water her on purpose. He Really wants her to get over it so that is his manly way of doing it.

I will let her know that I am going to dump water on her head and I make no attempt to cover her eyes, but I will reassure her as she cries and after a few seconds I get her a towel.

I want her to not freak out because I want her to enjoy swimming and stop screaming every time she gets splashed. water is one of Nathan's top two stims and he can't help but splash nonstop so Ry really just needs to get over it. I also want her to be able to go on water rides & take swim lessons so I am hoping she gets less whiny abut it soon.

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

August 29th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ethan hasn't developed a fear of water, but he is suddenly paranoid about eating hot food.

Thank you Katarina for my beautiful Siggy!
August 30th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVZ View Post
Ethan hasn't developed a fear of water, but he is suddenly paranoid about eating hot food.

Oh yes, the hot food paranoia . We have that times 3 here. I cook food then put it directly in the frig or freezer before I serve it a few minutes later .

Our Blog

September 2nd, 2011, 10:47 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
[QUOTE=cnote;24727242]Yes. My DH will pour water her on purpose. He Really wants her to get over it so that is his manly way of doing it.

[QUOTE]

Wayne was doing bath time and he did this to Scarlett. I completely baby her. Any way they usually bathe together and when he did this he scared the bejeepers out of Beau. Then Beau fell in the bath the next day and was under water, he was a bit skittish for about a week and I had to take a bath with him, then bath him in shallow water without Scarlett and completely baby him.

Scarlett on the other hand is fine about bath and does not like her hair washed. I need to buy some shampoo conditioner combo so I only have to do it once. Wayne dumps it over her head and I wipe it out with a wash cloth.

One thing I love about using my bathroom counter as a changing station is that the sink is real handy for GI baths for the kids. Clean is clean how ever they get there. Beau doesn't need his hair washed. Maybe I'll try washing Scarlett's hair in sink? Stranger things have worked with my kids...

ETA strange thing: With Quinn she hated her hair washed. But if Kindel would let me wash her hair then Quinn would let me. When Kindel when back to her mom, I had no Kindel and therefore no hair washing. So I bought an Arielle doll and washed her hair and then Quinn would let me wash hers. Go figure.

Last edited by Happy Song; September 2nd, 2011 at 11:03 AM.
September 2nd, 2011, 11:30 AM
Jilly*bean's Avatar DomesticDivaMusings.com
Well his screaming has toned down over the past couple of weeks, which is a good thing because I was losing my mind at bath time. Last night in particular he just fussed, and it wasn't even that bad. I'm just happy he's moving through this.
September 2nd, 2011, 12:09 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
If could get Scarlett to lay down and swish her hair it would be so much easier. Maybe I'll work on that?
September 2nd, 2011, 05:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Glad he is doing better Jill.

Has anyone here tried showers yet?

Our Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search